This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Orthopedic Office Duties

Hello. I was just wondering if somebody out there knew of what duties I would have in an orthopedic office? My externship is approaching this week and I'm scared to death! I can't really seem to find anything on the net about it so I thought I'd post and see if anyone could help me please!

Are You Still In School? No.

Are You Working? Extern coming up!

Re: Orthopedic Office Duties

First I wondered why your school didn't give you an idea what to expect. Did you have an interview with this site so you could have looked around? I knew a student who did her externship at such an office and enjoyed it. She was allowed to get the syringes ready with the medications for the doctors. Actually,that was about the most she did so make sure they have you do a little of everything.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

PS-And don't be scared! It will all be over before you know it. Make sure you write in after your first day/week to tell how it went.

I would think rooming pts, assisting with casting, splinting, probably cast removal, setting up cortisone injections, teaching pts how to use crutches, things like that. Good luck!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA/ RMA/CNA /SN

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? Yes

I will write in to let you know how it went. As for now, I'm still frightened! lol. I'm starting Wednesday which is so near! Oh, and no, my school was having trouble finding me an extern site so I had no interview or anything, the orthopedic office is just accepting me. My extern coordinator is crediting me hours too as I was supposed to start this back at the end of February/beginning of March! I'm just rather shy sometimes and I figured I'd try this profession to bring me out of my "shell" so to speak. That plays into me being extra nervous also I suppose.

Are You Still In School? No.

Are You Working? Extern coming up!

I'm shy also and although in time interacting with patients WILL help you deal with your shyness,at first you have to act like you are NOT shy or otherwise patients might think you are not friendly. Always ask "How are you feeling/doing today?" and keep the conversation going. In time,dealing with patients will be second nature. But initial shyness is normal,like the terror. Your first day will either be real bad(again normal,cause of nerves) or real good and if it's bad,then the second day will be better. The first week might be rough cause you are getting use to things. Just remember that you are there to learn so you can't be expected to fit in just like that. Take all problems to your superiors,don't suffer in silence. And good luck!

The above is excellent advice!

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Web Site Owner/Admin

Hello everyone! Well, today was my 4th day externing at the orthopaedic office and I have to say that it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I'm more at ease now. The first day was actually pretty boring because they wanted to train me in office before clinical and since it was around Easter, there were a lot of people that were off and most of the Doctors were on vacation. My second day was clinical. I hated it at first, but as the day went on I liked it more. I think it's just me being so scared that I'm going to mess something up. The woman who is training me is so nice, as everyone that works in that whole place is, including the Doctor's that I did meet. I ran a couple of patients and she let me take out someone's stitches. My third day was slow, I followed a nurse around all morning and then was in the office for the rest of the day. They actually let me leave early, but still gave me my hours. Today was an office day also. I did some more filing and learned how to use their computer system. Tomorrow is another clincal day. I'll write back in if anyone is interested. :)

Yes, D., keep writing!!! I am very interested in reading about what you have learned and how you are progressing. Please continue.

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Web Site Owner/Admin

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes