This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this board and wanted to introduce myself and ask a question. My name is Dana, and I am currently a licensed Esthetician. I have always cared about helping people, and have been thinking about going back to school for MA or Sonography. My question is - do I have to become a MA first and then continue my education with ultrasound? I live in NJ if that helps.

Thanks in advance!!

*Dana*

Re: Question

Welcome to the board! I think you'll like it here...
To answer your question:
You don't HAVE to become a MA before going to school for sonography. It might help, though, by allowing you to complete some of the prerequisites of the sonography program (like anatomy, biology, etc).
As far as whether you should definitely choose MA or sono, that's up to you. You have to realize that medical assisting is very hands-on and patient-centered; sonographers generally don't tend to get the patient interaction that MAs get. BUT, sonography, while a competitive field, pays very well.
I have a friend that is going for sonography, and she had NO idea that she would have to take physics, low-level calculus and such. In addition, sonography is very dependent on the ability of the sonographer: if your technique is off or undeveloped, your sonographs will be of low-quality diagnostic value. That's why the field is so competitive...
Anyway, I'm an RMA, not a sonographer. I can tell you that MA is a very rewarding field (though not really financially). I think there must be some message board for sonographers somewhere. I think it would be a good idea to get the opinions and perspectives from actual sonographers.
Hope I've helped in some way.

Thanks,

James

Are You Still In School? RMA, BMO

Dana:

Medical assisting and Diagnostic Medical Sonography/sonographer, Ultrasound technician (or technologist) are different occupations, though in some way similar as they deal with patients in the health care setting. The latter,for example, provide mammography, bone densitometry and ultrasound exam, etc...

Vocational training schools/colleges that offer medical assistant programs do not always offer ultrasound tech programs. Two different things. Two different scopes of practice!!!

And James is right. You don't have to be a medical assistant first to go into ultrasound. As a matter of fact it would required additional training and education.

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Web Site Owner/Admin

Thanks so much for the advice!

I understand if this question is too personal...but would you happen to know what the average starting salary is for a MA in NJ/NY?

Thanks again!

*Dana*

The 2004 American Association of Medical Assistants survey estimates that CERTIFIED MAs, with 1-2 years experience, average $12.96 per hour. Being experienced in the field (yes, I believe that being an esthetitian is experience), you can expect anywhere for $1-2 more or less than that. For example, if you were to obtain employment in a Dermatology or Cosmetic Surgery practice, your earnings could far exceed that stated above...

http://www.aama-ntl.org/resources/library/SalSurvey_0804.pdf

Thanks so much!

That helps a lot!

*Dana*

I'm not sure that being an esthetician will get you any more money as a MA. I had two years experience as a CNA and I still started at the MA starting wage. Most hospital networks (which own most of the docs office around here) have a starting pay for entry level MA's and that's what you start out at unless like someone else mentioned you get into a specialty practice which may get you a bit more.

LorraineG

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA, CNA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Lorraine,

Why do you so often have to transfer your negative experiences onto others, masking it as advice. You seem very bitter, unhappy in the profession, and feel superior to your peers. You're often pointing the scope of practice finger, speaking to others as if you are above them...and you being a CNA: who really cares. You wiped butts and sponge-bathed.
I'm not trying to "flame" you, but you've been spewing forth negativity ever since I started coming to this board a few years ago.
If you don't have something positive to say...just don't. It paints a very negative picture for those just entering the field.

>Why do you so often have to transfer your negative >experiences onto others, masking it as advice.

You've got to be kidding...I'm not being negative, I'm being realistic. In reality, being an esthetician is not going to translate into higher pay for a starting MA, that's just a fact.

> You seem very bitter, unhappy in the profession, >and feel superior to your peers.

I wouldn't touch that one with a ten foot pole aside from saying that I post very frequently here that I love my job but it doesn't pay well enough, at least where I live and I happen to get along very well with my peers, thank you.

>You're often pointing the scope of practice finger, >speaking to others as if you are above them

Pointing the scope of practice finger? The only things I've ever posted on here about the scope of practice are facts. The only thing I can think of that I've ever posted here about someone being specifically in/out of the scope of practice is to someone who said they were inserting caths.

I happen to have done an extensive amount of research into the scope of practice issue. I really don't see how posting well researched facts is speaking "above" anyone.

>...and you being a CNA: who really cares. You wiped >butts and sponge-bathed.

I'm not going to touch that one...

>I'm not trying to "flame" you,

Hmmm....Really? I've already addressed the "negativity" issue.

>but you've been spewing forth negativity ever since >I started coming to this board a few years ago.

I've already addressed the "negativity" issue.

>If you don't have something positive to say...just >don't. It paints a very negative picture for those >just entering the field.

People come here with questions as to scope of practice, certification and just about everything else related to being a MA. If I can answer any of those inquiries, whether you like the answers or not, I will continue to do so. I'm not going to candy-coat anything because you apparently see reality as negativity. If someone posts inquiring about going the associates route for MA, I WILL post back that for the most part, it's not worth the extra expediture because you will usually not make any more money with a degree than with a diploma and if you do, it's so negligible that it rarely is worth it. Or, if someone posts that they're going to go to an online MA school, I'm going to suggest that they proceed with caution for obvious reasons. If you perceive that as negativity, that's not my problem, it's yours.

Lorraine
CMA, CNA

Are You Working? Yes

Lorraine,

I also have researched the scope of practice issues, as related to several different states. When you tell someoone that "That is not in the scope pf practice of an MA!", you aren't stating facts--unless you have researched the state laws of THAT individual's state. For example, in some states, there are no regulations regarding MA scope of practice. Some say that the MA is free to practice procedures that they have been trained in, exhibited competency, and are performing under the supervision of the physician.
As far as being "realistic"--reality is very relative. You might say, "That's just the way it is in the field," based on YOUR experiences. I have had some positive and very negative experiences in the field. That's why I try to convey both sides to the individual inquiring about the field.
I have hired dozens of MAs. I know what to look for, and I know what physicians look for. An individual with experience in skin care, specifically an esthetician, would certainly qualify for higher pay in Derm/Cos Surg. Heck, the estheticians probably have a greater understanding of dermatology than most MAs.

My final point: don't think so myopic; that's why I called you negative. If you relate to others your experiences, without at least HINTING that circumstances could vary, then you are painting a negative picture.

I'm really not trying to be an a$$, I'm just trying to enlighten.

No hard feelings?

" For example, in some states, there are no regulations regarding MA scope of practice. Some say that the MA is free to practice procedures that they have been trained in, exhibited competency, and are performing under the supervision of the physician"

I've stated the exact same thing here numerous times.

"An individual with experience in skin care, specifically an esthetician, would certainly qualify for higher pay in Derm/Cos Surg. Heck, the estheticians probably have a greater understanding of dermatology than most MAs."

Apparently you missed a portion of my post that preceded your "flame". I said that I wasn't sure that the experience would get her a higher rate of pay and that most hospital networks have a starting rate and that starting rate pretty much applies to everyone UNLESS you get into a specialty practice which of course dermatology would be.

I always qualify my statements with "at least here in PA" or "in most cases".

If I recall correctly, this isn't the first time you've jumped on my case and then apologized. Maybe you should be the one worrying about whether your posts are positive or not. Your post was a personal attack. I stand by my last response to you and will continue to post in the manner I always have.

Lorraine
CMA, CNA
CMA, CNA

Are You Working? Yes

I want to let everybody know that I appreciate James (karmaadm) and Lorraine's active participation in this forum. James is a more recent "addition" here and he has made several very interesting and much appreciated points. I hope he will come back often and help many mnay more future MA's with his posts.

Lorraine has been an active supporter and regular participant in the Yahoo Medical Assistant group (a much bigger group than this one) for at least 2+ years and now that this group here finally is "perking" up also here. In her capacity as a CMA through AAMA she has proven that she is serious about her career and she is always willing to lend a helping hand to her upcoming peers in the field.

The "scope of practice" question in one that keeps comung up and coming up and coming up over and over... In a way that's frustrating because scope of practice should be clearly defined and uniform for all states (and it is NOT). Lorraine has spent countless hours researching this exact subject and never grew tired helping in this area, where others simply would have gotten tired repeating themselves. As the owner of the Yahoo Medical Assistant group and this web forum I watched all her posts.

Lorraine will never cease to post answers to the questions she knows and if she does NOT know the answer she will spend time researching and do everything she can to point people into the right direction by providing references. She does this on her own time without pay and thus contributed greatly to the idea and vision that I've had when I decided it was time for medical assistants to have a place of their own!!!

However, whether it's just one great post or a thousand I thank you ALL for supporting my work, and this web forum for medical assisants, and for keeping it a safe place for all to come and express their concerns in a professional manner. There is NO other forum like this out there and I couldn't have done it alone.

Danni

HAPPY EASTER TO ALL.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Web Site Owner/Admin

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes