This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
job

I am a RMA, graduated about 6 months ago, however, still can't find a job. It seems that every employer wants at least 2 yrs experience and a knowledge of Spanish. How can I get and experience when nobody wants to hire me. I went into the profession because I like medicine and helping people, now, no one wants to help me. I am a single mom, so it's been very hard on me and my daughter. Can't afford to go to school anymore to learn something else, what should I do?..........

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no

Re: job

I'm sorry to hear of your trouble finding a job. Do you live somewhere Spanish is needed? And have you put on your resume that you do have experience from school and your externship? These are what my career development teacher told us to use. He said since we have been doing invasive(blood draws, injections,) and vitals on each other for the last 8 months that we DO have experience. Plus your externship that counts as well.
I start my 7th mod next week,(this is a break week and really needed )I will be starting my externship in a month and then I will be out there looking for a job too.

Good luck to you!!
Robyn

Your Professional Title/Credentials: SMA

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Thank you Robyn. I live in New York City and Spanish is like a fisrt language here. I did put my externship on my resume, it does not count. They want a real working expirience. And it was a typo in my previous post, I'm out of school for almost a year.

Are You Working? no

I am wondering, how did you do on your externship? Did you do well? Was you liked by the staff? Did you make friends? You may want to reach out to them and ask the office manager or the doctor to help, such as writing a very nice letter of recommendation, or the doctor making a recommendation to one of his fellow doctors.

Do you ever get an interview at all. How do they go? Do you mention your achievements rather than focusing how hard it is to find a job and how desperately you are looking because you are a single mom?

Do you speak any Spanish at all? Perhaps signing up for a Spanish course at your local community college might work wonders since is is the prevailing language in your area. Since you are without work, the Department of Labor might help you with the cost since their job is to get employable people a job.

A friend of mine hired a resume service to rewrite her resume. The service cost $120 dollars which she somehow scraped together. Her resume looked awesome and was worth the investment -- she landed an excellent job with an asthma and allergy physician who started her out at $16.50 per hour and raises promised after 6 months and one year. Imagine that.

Good luck.

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Web Site Owner/Admin

Are You Working? yes

Thank you Danni. I did have a few interviews. Most of them tell me they are seeking someone with more experience. I don't even understand why they called me for an interview in the fisrt place. I did very well in school and my externship, I let them know that I have letters of recommendation from my teachers, but they don't want to see them. The going rate here is $8-$9 and hour. That's in Brooklyn and Queens, in Manhattan you could get up to $10. That's for someone like meself, who does not have a working experience. I was called twice and told that I would be hired if I agree with the salary. I did and was never called back, which I don't undestand why.
I do appreciate everybody's replies and suggestions.

Are You Working? no

PS
I can't take up Spanish, I can't pay for it because I'm out of job. The government agencies help pleople to look for jobs only if they are on welfare or getting foodstamps, I don't get either one. When I went to gov. agency they needed proof that I'm on public assistance. Since I am not, I was turned away.
I'm still trying, sending resumes and looking.

Are You Working? no