This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
certificate vs. degree

I'm thinking about attending an MA program and wasn't sure to go for the certificate or degree. Does the degree make a difference in pay?

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no

Re: certificate vs. degree

Where's my ten foot pole? Just kidding - I will touch this one.

It depends.

Some people will say it makes no difference. Some people will say it does. I think it depends on what the employers in your area think. Some place value on a degree and will pay more; some don't.

If both programs are acredited and you can sit for the CMA or RMA, then the curriculum should be similar as far as being an MA goes. The AS degree will give you more core coursework which translates into the possibility of transfer credit towards a BS or another AS in a different major. So, if that is at all a possibility, you may wish to do the AS program to get your stuff like English 101, College Algebra/Calculus, and World History out of the way.

just my $0.02

Also, if you do decide to go the degree route, I'd suggest doing it through a college instead of a tech school. The tech schools do offer an AS degree but usually doesn't include the courses such as English, etc.

In my area,(PA) the degree makes absolutely no difference in pay and I've never run across anyone asking for a degree, just that you be a graduate of an accredited program.

Lorraine
CMA, CNA

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA, CNA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

I confirm the above. Here in Massachusetts certificaton and degrees in Medical Assisting are voluntary (not mandated by the state). Many MA's are trained on the job but there also is a large number of Medical Assistants with a diploma, and some with a degree.

The doctors do not care much whether the medical assistant they hire has OTJ with years of experience, a diploma, or a degree. All they want is for someone to be dependable and do the job well. They also want to pay them only as much as they have to. After all, in today's modern society, doctors run a business. The old days where the doctor comes by in night and rain in a horse buggy to receive an apple and an egg, or maybe a quilt if lucky are long gone.

So, since the doctor has to think in terms of a business and profits, they don't necessarily look for a person with a degree. NOT in medical assisting, anyhow. That comes in handy later in case you are planning to continue your education because some of those classes/credits can be transferred, let's say toward your RN. That is the benefit. I'd look at it as investing into your future and education but not into better pay as a medical assistant.

There are too many good MAs competing who will work for less. Howerver, without the additional education they will be stuck in the profession whereas you can move on.

Sorry for making such a simple answer so long. LOL.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Web Site Owner/Admin

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Danni and Lorraine's answers are pretty much dead on. I have a degree in MA, and I've noticed that employers just kinda look at it like "Well, good for you!" It's nothing they require, and nothing that most are willing to pay more for. The only reason I've gotten higher pay is because I have a limited x-ray license (which is a bi-product of the degree program). Some diploma programs are offering limited radiography, too, though.
With the degree, though, does come some benefits: you are very likely to be promoted to supervisory/management positions, and can easily transfer to EMT/Paramedic/LPN/RN.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA, BMO

>It's nothing they require, and nothing that most are willing to pay more for.

That's EXACTLY what I used to tell people in school. The school was always trying to push the degree program. This was a tech school so it's not like going for the longer program was going to get you A&P or Biology or anything that would transfer into a nursing program. Nonetheless, the instructors would say "Oh, you'll definitely make more with a degree." My response: "If they don't require a degree, they're not going to pay you more because you have one, and I've never seen anyone require it." I got in hot water for stating my opinion on that on one occasion.

>I have a degree in MA, and I've noticed that employers just kinda look at it like "Well, good for you!"

That's just cute...

Lorraine
CMA, CNA

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA, CNA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes