This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
question

Hi eveybody,
I'd like to know how do you get a job without experience? Looks like no one is hiring in NYC unless you got at least 2yrs experience. I am a Registered Medical Assistant, however, it seems that being registered does not mean anything if you don't have experience.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no

Re: question

Kisa,

Check the local hospital network sites. Many times, they have "tech" positions that MAs qualify for. Look at anything that has technician in the job title. It should bring up: phlebotomists, lab tech, EKG tech, ER tech and more.

Lorraine
CMA, CNA

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA, CNA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Thanks for the advice, Larraine. I checked a few before, however, they said that you need a EKG, phlebotomy certificates. I guess I should look out for ones that don't require specific certificate. I hope I can find those.

Are You Working? no

Why don't you take the Phlebotomy exam and get registered then? Just an idea. If you are a RMA then you can take the exam through AMT I think. I plan to take it just to have the extra initials behind my name!
Robyn

Your Professional Title/Credentials: SMA

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

it would be a good idea,Robyn, however, I was not trained well in school for phlebotomy. MOst of the students refused to give their arms and teachers did not care to provide a better learnig experience.

Are You Working? no

That's a real shame. It wasn't optional in our school. If you wanted to pass the class, you had to both draw and be drawn on...even butterflies.

Lorraine
CMA, CNA

Are You Working? Yes

Wow, that is too bad. We have been doing blood and injections since the second week of school. They say it is so we will be become so used to it thatit becomes second nature. I can't imagine not giving your arm. It really doesn't hurt much. And I have great veins so I'm an arm of choice! It is almost impossible to miss on me! I swear it is funny, I drink tons of diet coke(I know, I know) and shouldn't bleed well, but you can fill up 20 tubes on me.

Maybe you can check into a Phlebotomy refresher course and then get registered?

Phlebotomy is NOT taught in the majority of MA programs,just the basics of blood drawing is. For something as serious and important as taking blood from another human being it's considered a minor part of the curriculum,passed over very quickly and incompletely. At the school I was at there was no mention of nerve damage and they taught more about the various ways of bandaging than about the art and science of actual phlebotomy. It's disgraceful when they allow you to comp out after only a few draws,just as long as you get the blood in the tube. The majority of MA students could NOT pass a certifying phleb exam.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: PBT

Kisa,

When I graduated from my program, I found it difficult to find a job. Everyone wanted either 1. experience (and externships didn't count!) 2. Bilingual or 3. Certified (which I have now but not right after I got out of school).

I ended up finding a job as a Health Aide in one of the school districts. I'm in my second year of this job and I really enjoy it. There are pros and cons to working for the state but it's an avenue you might want to explore, if nothing else is panning out.

Good luck!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Working? Yes

I would not mind to work for the state. In my state you have to take a special civil exam in order to work for the city, state or the government. I took 2. So far no answer. There are many tests, however, you either have to have 5yrs experience or a BA/BS in order to take them. I only have A.A.S. That's considered nothing here! I have it in Medical Laboratory Technology, however, I could not find a job 'cause I do not have B.S. I did not know at a time that I would need a higher degree to work in a lab. I went for MA program, got my certification, was told since I have Associate's, I would get a job easy even without experience, what a lie! No one wants someone who does not have experience, but how do I get it if nobody wants to hire me?

Are You Working? no

Can you check back with the school where you got your MLT regarding phleb training? I thought phlebotomy was a mandatory part of the MLT curriculum. They might have a refresher or allow you to take the class again.

Also, some MT (that is the medical technology BS degree) programs have a bridging agreement with some MLT programs so that you can use some of your MLT classes to fulfill the basic lab classes of the MT program. - just a thought if you are interested in going on for a BS in lab technology.

dl
I cant afford to go back to school. I dont have a job and I owe over $5000 in loan for my previous school, where I learned MA.
I guess I made a big mistake by enrolling in that school. I should have went for business better. My problem is I like medicine and helping people, so I chose MA course.

Are You Working? no

I just reread one of your messages and I have to say that it stinks that you can't get a job as an MLT w/o a BS. Kind of the point of having the MLT is that it is the tech level position in the lab under the MT, who has the BS and does the more advanced work and supervision of assistants and techs.

I would think with your dual degree that would make you an interesting candidate - guess its interesting to me and not to employers . Sorry to hear you are having a tough time. Have you tried the admin side in a hospital (like the admitting clerk or something) - not that you would want to stay at that job, but it could give you access to the hospital's in house training courses (like EKG tech or maybe CNA or phlebotomy) and you could move up that way.

Good luck in your job search.

http://jobsearch.monster.com/getjob.asp?JobID=41099802&AVSDM=2006%2D04%2D06+18%3A24%3A05&Logo=1&q=technician+New+York+New+York&city=New+York&state=New+York&fn=2947&fn=2963&fn=3972&fn=2990&fn=3007&fn=551&fn=3973&fn=3974&fn=3975&fn=3976&fn=3977&fn=3978&cy=US

http://jobsearch.monster.com/getjob.asp?JobID=40862240&AVSDM=2006%2D03%2D16+11%3A03%3A01&Logo=1&q=medical+assistant+New+York+New+York&city=New+York&state=New+York&fn=2947&fn=2963&fn=3972&fn=2990&fn=3007&fn=551&fn=3973&fn=3974&fn=3975&fn=3976&fn=3977&fn=3978&cy=US

http://jobsearch.monster.com/getjob.asp?JobID=41634808&AVSDM=2006%2D04%2D05+10%3A30%3A53&Logo=1&q=medical+assistant+New+York+New+York&city=New+York&state=New+York&fn=2947&fn=2963&fn=3972&fn=2990&fn=3007&fn=551&fn=3973&fn=3974&fn=3975&fn=3976&fn=3977&fn=3978&cy=US

http://jobsearch.monster.com/getjob.asp?JobID=40783563&AVSDM=2006%2D03%2D14+17%3A39%3A02&Logo=1&q=technician+New+York+New+York&city=New+York&state=New+York&fn=2947&fn=2963&fn=3972&fn=2990&fn=3007&fn=551&fn=3973&fn=3974&fn=3975&fn=3976&fn=3977&fn=3978&cy=US

A few to check out.

Lorraine
CMA, CNA

Are You Working? Yes

thank you Lorrain, I will check those sites out.
Kisa, RMA

Are You Working? no

No problem, hope something pans out for you.
Keep us posted.

Lorraine
CMA, CNA

Are You Working? Yes

medical assistant to lpn

DO ANYONE KNOW IF ONE CAN BRIDGE OVER FORM MEDICAL ASSISTNT TO LPN. I HAVE SO MUCH EXPERIENCE WORKING IN HOSPITAL. AND DO JUST ABOUT EVERY THING AND LPN CAN DO. IS THERE A TEST ONE CAN TAKE TO BRIDGE TO LPN

Your Professional Title/Credentials: medical assistant

Are You Working? yes