This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Heads up...allnurses.com post

Just thought I'd test the waters on how the nurses would feel about mandated certification or licensure for MAs.

http://allnurses.com/forums/f8/would-nurses-support-ma-licensure-154666.html?posted=1#post1618587

I find it rather interesting that the beef that most nurses seem to have with MAs is disbelief of what we're capable and legally allowed to do (scope of practice) and the "hired right off the street" issue (no standardized education). However...the couple of responses I've gotten so far don't seem to see any need for any type of licensure. How ironic.

Lorraine
CMA, CNA

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA, CNA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Re: Heads up...allnurses.com post

I didn't expect anything else. At least it is civil at the moment LOL

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA,RMA, CNA, SN

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? yes

I agree with Tracy. Its a good issue to raise but there are nurses that feel that even professions such as PT, OT, and respiratory are an infringement on their intended area of practice. Unfortunately how one feels and the reality of the modern medical financial machine do not always mesh, and I doubt nurses are going to get back what many of them want - total patient care and a much lower ratio of patients. Honestly that would be preferable to me, and I would probably be more inclined to get my RN if that were the case.

Lorraine - your idea is on the right track - unfortunately the support is not going to come from those who feel threatened by the outsourcing of their work to lower paid workers, or in the case of OT and PT, higher paid workers who get better hours and more respect.

Too bad. Because some docs/OMs will consider the bottom line first. Like I said before, EMTBs have a standardized curriculum, but if I remember correctly, it took a while for that to happen. Now I don't think you can get a job on an ambulance without at least a EMTB. Maybe in 20 years, medical offices will hire only CMAs, who knows?

dl,

I understand the nurse's points of view. However, what they fail to consider is this...The reason most docs hire MAs instead of LPNs is because they can do it for a pittance. Make licensure mandatory and the MAs wage will likely go up. Probably not to the level of a LPN but the gap will lessen considerably. So now you have a doc who is going to pay a MA or a LPN close to the same wage. Which means (at least in my warped little mind), docs may start putting nurses back in their offices. Sure, they'll keep a MA or two around because she's dual-duty.

You'd think if the gripe is that we're infringing on their jobs, they'd want it to be harder for us to get those jobs?

Or am I off my rocker here? (Yes, entirely possible.)

Lorraine
CMA, CNA

Are You Working? Yes

Lorraine,

It is ironic: that nurses want to limit the MAs' (and MANY other allied health professionals') scope of practice, but complain that they are over-worked!
I actually wrote the NLN, and the Florida State Board of Nursing regarding this issue. There had been SO many complaints about MAs "jeopardizing the quality of patient care" from nurses, that I suggested they help in our endeavors to raise the bar for MA educational programs and MA practice. We'll see what comes of it...

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA, BMO

I'll be very interested to see if you get a response. Here's hoping.

You'd said in an earlier post that you were involved with the AMT in regards to pushing for licensure? Care to elaborate???

Lorraine

Are You Working? Yes

I think I finally convinced the some of the Board members to consider helping. They are in a new phase of trying to market themselves with more prestige (after I ******* at them for years); one Board Member agreed with my idea to have AMT serve as a liason to state licensure (like the ARRT does for x-ray techs). Here's how the idea goes: the AMT administers that exams at Pearson Testing Centers (or schools), grades the exam, sends the results to the State (in this case, Florida), and the state licenses the individual. In addition, the individual will have Registration through AMT. The ARRT and other allied health agencies have been doing this for years, so I thought it would be a good idea to kind of ride the coat-tails of these agency/state alliances.
Remember, though, this is still in very early stages. The entire AMT hasn't agreed to it yet; and it still has to go through the State(s).
That's why I wrote a letter to every Florida State Department imaginable, to hopefully expedite the process. I still haven't received response from the State (but I just wrote them this weekend).
As far as the NLN goes...I'm not really holding my breath. Maybe it'll just help get the word out, though...

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA, BMO