This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
what is with these stupid programs?

these programs I keep seeing that say "be a medical assistant in 8 weeks!"

what the hell. I have to go through a 15 month program to be able to pass the aama test and these people think they can do it with a 8 week class?? I THINK NOT I think these schools should not be allowed to operate. They take the credibilty of the profession away if people take them seriously.

what do you guys think? I feel it's insulting.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: student

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Re: what is with these stupid programs?

I'm certified through the AAMA and took a 9 month course.

I agree with you completely, part of the reason I'd really like to see mandated educational standards and licensure/certification. If you haven't already, read my article on the main web page. Scroll down the left hand side of the main web page (link is at the top of this forum page) and click on "Lorraine's Corner".

Lorraine
CMA, CNA

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA, CNA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

OK... it's time, I think.
I've been pondering a petition, in addition to the many, many, many pursuasive letters I've written to state and federal regulatory/legislative agencies this weekend.
Who would be interested in helping?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA, BMO

ooohhh...oooohhh...me...me!

Lorraine

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA, CNA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

I mean, what happens when doctors actually HIRE these people?? they can't possibly learn EVERYTHING there is to know for entry level work. They will give us a bad name. It's an insult to the intructors, to us and the medical profession period.

what letter?? is there someone I can write to about this? I've actually found a few on the web and I've seen some on television.(advertising for medical assisting)

Is a "Medical Office Assistant" the same thing as us but in different words? because I've seen a whole bunch of companies advertising that for schooling in 10 weeks or less as well.

Are You Working? no

Lot,

It does give Medical Assisting a bad name, in general. That's why MA education and practice MUST be regulated.
I've written my State's Department of Education/Health/Medical Quality Assurance, the State Senate, the U.S. Department of Education/Health/Human Services about the issue.
I am thinking of going further, and petitioning, just to exhibit strength in numbers. Maybe someone will realize that this is an issue that needs to be dealt with promptly, before the quality of patient care even further erodes.
Any ideas for a petition?
Lorraine?
Danni?

Re: Petition

Karmaadm,
that is indeed a great idea, and I am not surprises Lorraine is so excited. She has been very outspoken and proactive in that exact area.

As far as ideas for putting together a petition... for me it is a question of time. I wish I had more.

A petition must be well thought out and well written to properly address the issues. I bet however, it can be done as a group effort here. This group never ceases to amaze me and there very engaged and talented people here.

If you don't mind (my lame excuse), my contribution to the cause (at least for now) is the fact that I am facilitating this forum as a communication and networking tool. Once you get the ball rolling I'd be mre than happy to jump in.

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Web Site Owner/Admin

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Hello again to everyone

and OUCH....I have graduated from one of "those" programs and I think alot of the readers of this forum might also have. Granted it was not an 8 week course. It was however, one of the 5 month courses with no externship.
I am alittle surprised, yet understand to a degree, at the outlook some of you have.
No, not everyone can come out of those programs and "know" what they are doing to the extent that some of you "know" what you are doing. I have said this before on this very board, if I did not have the extensive medical knowledge I have from a 15 year term at Labcorp., it would not have been so easy to feel as comfortable and knowledgeable as I did when I started my job as a MA.
So, with that being said, I think you should also take into consideration that some of us that decided or decide to go the route of the shorter course had reasons and other knowledge bases. Which I have found complimented my certification very nicely.
Therefore, making us indeed a wonderful addition to this medical profession.
I would love to hear your thoughts on my spin.
Thanks and have a good night

Penny
NCMA

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NCMA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? Sure am

You may certainly be an all-star in the field, I'm not one to question that. However, I have witnessed numerous students graduating from such programs fail miserably in clinical practice. Some don't even know how to take an accurate BP, and some didn't know CPR (even on the basic level).
I think that there may, indeed, be individuals who graduate from these programs that are very knowledgable, and do well in the field; however, the are some that REALLY are the opposite. That's why we're pushing for regulation: it will standardize all MA educaitonal programs, and licensure examination will quarantee an objective and quantitative measurement of the graudates' knowledge/skills--BEFORE they are allowed to practice Medical Assisting.

ummm 5 monthes is a lot longer than 8 weeks.

a QUARTER isn't even 8 weeks long in most places.

I just don't possibly see how you can learn everything, and nor would I want to work with those types of people.

Are You Working? no