This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
!Regulating the MA practice!

As some of you might have read, we are working on a petition to present to the National/individual State Boards of Medicine/Departments of Health and Education.

Our goal is to list specific reasons why the practice of Medical Assisting, and the educational programs that lead up to the practice, should be governmentally regulated. We are also pusing the issue of the Medical Assistant, as a recognized healthcare professional, being licensed by the individual States.

What we're looking for:
1. The benefits (to patients, employers, MAs, and the economy, etc.) of regulation.
2. The cons of not having regulations (increased medical liability claims/increased medical liability insurance rates, lack of standard knowledge/skills among MAs, decreased productivity, etc.).
3. What regulations we would like to see (entrance requirements for MA candidates, specific required courses in MA educational programs, specific roles of the MA/scope of practice, LICENSURE, etc.)
4. Anything else that you wonderfully talented individuals might think of!

If anyone would like to help in this issue, I would GREATLY appreciate it. Please feel free to share ANY ideas/feedback!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA, BMO

Re: !Regulating the MA practice!

Is no one interested in this effort? It seems to have gotten a limited reaction overall on the board.

**If you aren't interested in helping, please let me know why (and I won't get offended)--I would just like to know the general perspective of MAs.**

I would like to suggest that all those that view this thread use it as a kind of petition,where you can either say YES or NO. Then add a few words stating how you would feel about being licensed. You can either be all for it,or have reservations.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CERTIFIED

can I actually DO anything? I doubt they will take me seroiusly because I am still in school.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: student

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Lot,
YOU probably cannot do anything, and I can't do anything. But TOGETHER, WE MAs can make this possible. All I need from you is your thoughts on the subject. What do you think should be added to MA educational programs (you're a student, so your input is very valuable). I need others to share their thoughts, also.
If you really look at this plan, it seems impossible and like ALOT of hard work.
Think of the benefits, though: MAs will certainly gain better education, better pay, more respect, and possibly a greater scope of practice.
Does all of that sound worth it? All I'm asking for is feedback/opinions.
I guarantee that, if we can work together on this, it will work...

I'm pondering my answers here...kids have been computer hogs the last few days and as usual, I'm last in line.

Lorraine
CMA, CNA

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA, CNA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

What's going on that there have been no recent reponses to this thread? All the author asked for was OPINIONS on the possibility of medical assisting being a LICENSED PROFESSION,not for any promises of becoming a lobbyist.

I'm disappointed, too. It really saddens me to think that some many Medical Assistants could care less about their profession.

HI!
I HAVE BEEN BUSY STUDYING, FINALLY GOT A CHANCE TO LOOK AT THIS. I AM ALL FOR IT KARMAADM, IT SOUNDS GREAT, CAUSE I HAVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT ALL YOU ALL DO AS A M.A., AND I WILL BE ONE WITHIN THIS NEXT YEAR, AND I HAVE SERIOUSLY BEEN SKEPTICAL ABOUT BEING A M.A., ALL I HEAR IS HOW BAD THE PAY IS, AND NOT BEING RESPECTED LIKE AN LPN OR RN, AND SO FORTH, SO YOU CAN COUNT ME IN, IF THERE IS ANYTHING I NEED TO DO TO HELP THE MA'S JUST LET ME KNOW.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: IN M.A. SCHOOL AT MOMENT

Are You Still In School? YES

Are You Working? NO

Does anyone know if the AAMA runs any ads in medical journals or does any PR (trade shows, mailouts, etc...)? Maybe that is another angle to work at it on...I really think targeting physicians and reminding them of the associated liability with using personnel with non-standardized training, plus touting the benefit of hiring people who have already been trained. Pointing out to OMs and MDs the potential cost savings (in terms of hiring certified, trained personnel and in reduced liability) might get their attention. OMs might further be interested in the fact that someone who has put forth the effort to attend MA school and get the CMA/RMA would be more likely to remain in the career field, thus leading to a decrease the cost of high employee turnover. Licensing may or may not be necessary, but regulation and a standardized curriculum and examination should be the minimum goal. Paramedics are registered in the state and nationally, but operate under the MDs (their "medical control") license. They must follow a standard curriculum and pass a standard exam. Their ability to function under the MD license as the MD sees fit, sometimes performing very invasive procedures, is accepted by the medical community because of the standardization. I think MAs should aim for at least that.

As M.A. intructor for the past three and half years, I welcome the licensing of Medical Assistant. As an instructor I'am always "harping" on how even though you are not a license professional you still need to be COMPEDENT in you skills. I stress the importance of understanding that you are dealing with human beings and your incompedence can indirectly harm someone's life forever. I stress that you are transitioning into a professional arena with professionals who went to school for a very long time and need compedent M.A. who are not jeopordizing their medical licenses and causing their mal practice insurance premiums to increase. If M.A. were license I think the medical profession will benefit by reducing the turn over in the field and most of all, have compedent professionals who are dedicated to their careers.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA,BXO, INSTR.

Are You Working? Yes

I vote for licensure of medical assitants!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Working? YES

I am just about to begin the adventure of becoming a Medical Assistant and I am also in favor of regulating the practice. This field of study definitely warrents the respect.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Laid off from Sony Electronics.

Are You Still In School? Just starting in the fall.

Are You Working? no

I'm not a MA as of yet and am still just a student, but hope to become certified very soon. I'm very much in favor of the licensure, due to the fact, I've seen the type of people who enroll in these programs. There have been a limited # of students in my classes who actually take the program seriously enough to succeed. There just there to take up space, waste other peoples time and continue gaining there food stamps and what not. I feel an entrance exam is an excellent idea. Lord knows I wouldn't trust to my life but to a limited few of them that I could count on one hand. I'm in full support of your petition.

Cat

Are You Working? no

Re: Re: !Regulating the MA practice!

As an Instructor I feel I should correct my misspelled words. The word s/b competent not compedent and it s/b competence not compedence. My first sentence s/b As an Instructor not as Instructor.
I apologize, although Instructors are not perfect we should always correct our mistakes.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA,BXO, INSTR.

Are You Working? Yes

I agree that MA's should be licensed as they perform more skilled work than a CNA and they are regulated, so why shouldn't an MA? I secondly agree with the licensing of MA's because of the respect factor. I know LPN's and RN's who think that MA's are lowly employees and many in fact resent us in the field. (Sad, so sad! but true...)
So any help I can provide, please let me know!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA, CPT, CET

Are You Still In School? Have gone back for a MA Diploma :)

Are You Working? Yes

I am all for Licensure of Medical Assisting. I am an Instructor and Program Manager of a Medical Assisting program and have been a Medical Assistant for 10 years. Are jobs are very important and the sooner people in the medical field recognize it, the better. Tell me what to do to help. Lets get the ball rolling......

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Program Manager/CHI/CCMA/CPT/CET

Are You Still In School? yes, I am working on my Associates in Allied Health

Are You Working? yes

I just wanted to add my "2 cents". I agree with licensure for MA's! I have 5+ years of experience and have seen many co-workers who have scared me silly! There are plenty of people employed as MA's that have absolutely no business being one. There is a great responsibility with direct patient care and frankly not enough MA's take it very seriously. Hopefully if we could get licensure, it would make people more accountable.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

I am currently still in school but I think that MA's should be reconized because of all that they are train to do and for all that they do in the medical office. I think that they deserve higher pay because to me they do moe than and are trained in more than a LPN.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: medical assistant

Are You Working? no

Well guys I just read the comments made by everyone, I have been in the field for 20+ years and seen alot of changes. I 2 welcome the changes that need to be made. I tell students to take pride in their work because over the years I have seen a spiral effect on professionalism in the offices. I have close friends that are Doctors and keep in touch with the changes but the same problem arises and that has to do with the fact that people are being put in important positions that dont belong there. I feel that regulating,certifing,finger printing and making it harder to get a M.A. licence will eliminate at least half of what we see out there. This will also give those Medical Assistants that take pride in their work more leverage for better pay and respect from the nursing community.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA/Instructor

Are You Still In School? NO

Are You Working? yes

I would love to see the profession regulated. I'm in an MA 2 year degree program. I work as a PCT by night, and have had several RN's snub me for going to school for MA. They ask why not become a real nurse? Hello? According to my course outline there is not a "whole lot" of difference between the two. Lets be honest MA's work as hard if not harder due to the added office and accounting that is part of the job. Some of us will have the same degree that the RN's have, so why not the respect and pay?!?

Are You Working? as a PCT

A lonely male student MA here! I vote for licensure!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CET

Are You Still In School? Yes

I'm a Certified Medical Assistant who haven't start working as MA yet, But I agree as much as MA are required to do they should be able to be licensed, and with out a doubt better pay.

Are You Working? No

I think that regulation could be good, if done correctly.

I think that the response may be low because the thought scares alot of older M.A.'s who (like my self) may have gone to school so long ago that we learned how to do manual CBC's (yes with a microscope, not a cute machine with a drop of blood we're talking a little clicker to count the reds and whites, and a wall chart to help you identify the "wierd" stuff)

I also think that many M.A.'s forget that they are a professional and a vial part of the medical field, not just some Dr.'s whipping boy for low pay and laughable bennies (ok, so family practice is my choice - but it always pays less and expects more hours, am I right?). No, not an R.N., I hate it when I am referred to as "the nurse" - (maybe that's just me). We get caught in the cycle that we just have pt's fill out forms, or that there is no skill to giving shots and drawing blood, any one can do it.

Just my 2 cents

Your Professional Title/Credentials: M.A

Are You Working? yes

I think they should let medical assitant take a few classes to convert to lpn ...becasue it nearly the same thing...that way we can goforth with registered nurse school shortly after....its bs that i have to go to school to be an lvn when I know almost 95% of what I am going to learn...totally bs!!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant/Phlebotomist

Are You Working? yes

Lisa,

I have done both programs...and yes there is a difference.

here is some websites that might help to show the differences in educations and duties.

lpn - http://www.gwinnetttech.edu/content.cfm?PageCode=st_courses_results&keywords=&OutlineID=361

ma - http://www.gwinnetttech.edu/content.cfm?PageCode=st_courses_results&keywords=&OutlineID=341

another idea to see the differences in education, duties, responsibilities, etc is to go to your local bookstore like barnes & nobles, borders and review the reference material for licensure and certification for lpns and ma's..
review the 'pn nclex' books..this is the test practical nurses have to take in order to get licensed.
also reviw the 'cma' certification books.

one is not better then the other...just different
l.lopez lpn

Your Professional Title/Credentials: lpn

Are You Working? yes

I'm an MA currently awaiting the results of my RMA (it's taking forever!) exam. I must admit I have a lot of mixed feelings in the area of licensure. I agree there's a huge need for regulation in the field. However, my concern w/the licensure route is that once inacted we will need to purchase some form of liability insurance & it will take a long time for our pay to catch up w/our ability to pay such... Also, who will make up our "board", our governing body? AMT? AMAA? A combination of the two? I'm not saying that I'm against licensure...I just still have a lot of concerns. Why not first begin w/mandatory certification? That will lessen the appeal of the diploma mills that are not accredited & give us a little more respect due to uniform standardization...just some thoughts on the subject.

Are You Working? no

Clancy,

if ma's are to become licensed, it would be through the 'state' just like nurses. I pay around $75 a year for malpractice insurance as a lpn. It probably would be cheaper for ma's because of the scope of practice.

I have found it ironic that the person cutting my hair has to have a license but the person sticking a needle in my vein does not..

I think it is just a matter of time, but ma's get licenses.

l.lopez lpn

Are You Working? yes

Again..."I'm not saying I'm against licensure" I'm just expressing concerns. There are many things to think about. I am definately in agreement that SOMETHING needs to done....
Proud to be an MA,
Sheila

Are You Working? no

Sorry, I meant Clancy...LOL

Are You Working? no

I think that Medical Assistants should be licensed. Medical Assistants are every bit as qualified as Practical Nurses to perform clinical and administrative duties. Medical Assistants training programs actually cover more subject areas than does any Practical Nursing program in the United States. I have even worked with nurses who have received licensure and have no true idea of how to perform clinical procedures, they are usually asking medical assistants how to perform a lot of clinical procedures. What makes it so different for medical assistants not to become licensed practicioners? We perform primaryily the same duties as practical nurses and receive much more training in school and cross training on jobs.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA, CMAA, CBCS

Are You Still In School? Yes, working on my degree.

Are You Working? No, hard to find work with little experience and being a male medical assistant.

Hi Everyone,

I have been a Medical Assistant for 15 years now and I have seen many changes, some positive for our MA Titles some negative. I have seen co-workers young daughters come in and obtain positions of MA's(where they are trained by medical assistants on the job and did not have any formal training at all) I have had LPN's and RN's say to me "Why don't you want to go to school and just become a nurse?" So you see it is very necessary to take this step. I don't like to sling mud and that is not what I am doing now, this just a fact, in most of my jobs I did the work the LPN's and RN's considered "Not Their Job!" Beneath them! Such as: EKG's, Blood Draw, Ear Irrigations, Throat Cultures, Wet Preps, UA's and assist in GYN Day Procedures: Cone BX, Cryosurg. Now I don't know about all of you in the Medical Assistant Field but I do see a need to be credited in my field. I love my work because I see pt's, help them with billing problems, make them their apts and refill their rx. We are not less than, we are more than and we should take a stand and receive the aknowledgement! WE NEED TO BE LICENSURE! Let me know what I can do!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant

Are You Working? yes

Alvin,

I have done both ma and lpn programs and yes there is a huge difference in the education/training. When I did the ma program I learned more of the 'hands on' clinicals in a doctors office...the 'how to do a ekg,throat culture etc". When I went back to school for the lpn program, I learned a lot more "theory" in disease process, patient education,care plans,medications, performing assessements, which I could not do as a ma or looking back I didn't even know what an assessment was. Most ma's believe the education is the same as lpn's...this can be misleading because if you are working with a lpn then you are in a office setting, and the duties are similar if not the same, which makes ma's believe they have the same education/skills etc as a lpn....BUT when an lpn works outside of a doctor's office like a hospital, long term care, visting nurse, hospice, dialysis etc ...this is where the lpn will apply her/his education and training and 'skilled nursing' which a ma cannot work do.

I know that it can be confusing, lpn's and ma's have their own scope of practice and different education redquirements. I work in a doctors office and know how to perform a lot of 'procedures,tests, exams etc because of my ma education, but I also have more knowledge regarding diseases,medication, patient education because of my lpn education...because I have done both the ma and lpn program, I have become a very valuable assest to my employer and was promoted to nursing manager this past summer.

Lorianne

Are You Working? yes

Hi Lorrianne,

Thanks for the reply! I do understand that LPN/RN's do have to learn more theoretical applications and also agree that in terms of working in a hospital setting, there is a need to understand the disease process. In terms of the MA Practice, we also learn of disease processes and complications with medications . I have met several new nursing graduates who have graduated from LPN/RN programs and they really don't have much more concrete understanding of diseases than most MA's. I do feel that if there was legislation approved to allow Ma'S TO OBTAIN LICENSURE, it would be necessary to redesign some of the courses needed to assume the responsibility of assessing patients, disease processes and creating care plans. Most of the MA courses do in most ways relate to nursing courses only a little less time to cover in greater detail. I have met nurse managers and some doctors who have said that actually it is not what is taught in the classroom but rather the knowledge gained through actual work experience is what truly defines competent nursing personnel. Many of the skills nurses perform as well as for the MA's are learned on the job. Sure , an MA could take courses in school and read the nursing books and most are capable to perform just as well as the supposed other clinical personnel. Honestly, I feel that there should be no such title as Medical Assistant, we should all be referred to as nurses. There is indeed some additions to the MA training/courses that may needto be increased and changed, but hey if one can successfully learn and perform as a competent MA now in such a short time in school, certainly with a little more emphasis on disease processes we could all perform the same duties.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NCMA

Are You Still In School? Yes, obtaining my AS Degree/Nursing

Are You Working? Yes

I agree with the licensing and regulating. The pay for MA's isn't that great, even though MA's do a wide range of duties. Reception, BP's, immunizations and on and on.
I'm working on becoming an MA and will work for the University of Wisconsin Hospital where I currently do. I see an aweful lot of people that somehow ended up in an MA position that scare me. I'm pretty certain that these people would never pass and certification and if I were getting my care from them I would not be happy with it.
I intend to use my MA position to my fullest ability and for the bettering of my department and institution. There is a lot of potential for MA's, but I think maybe not the respect and pay that goes with the responsibilities.
Jen V

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Administrative Secretary

Are You Working? yes

Hi Alvin and Lorraine,

I just wanted to get my post out and state, I am happy with my position of MA (with 15 years exp) why are we looked at less than because of the MA title by co-workers. I have a position just as important as the LPN's and RN's with job duties that are different. (My statement of what I have come accross regarding training others and not having the skills needed for the job is a reality. Many employees are hired right out of school and well sometimes they can hire them for less money - lets not get me started on that! LOL) That was my point in my post, I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant

Are You Working? yes

I completely agree - this field should be regulated. It would mean regulating the schools and the cirriculum. Perhaps the pay scale would increase two-folds. Because we know the pay stinks.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Secretary/MA

Are You Working? Yes

I AGREE

Your Professional Title/Credentials: medical assistant

I agree, some sort of regulation would be great in defining exactly what we can and can't do in an office setting. I'm tired of doing same duties as lpn's and rn's but getting treated and paid like an unwelcome stepchild because I am a MA. Also tired of lpn's treating us like we are unworthy because we are ma's when we do same exact duties as them only better.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: ma,associate degree

Are You Working? yes

It would be great if they regulated/licensed the MA profession. Maybe the pay would increase, but maybe MD's would hire other unlicensed personel to do the same job for pennies on the dollar since it is their practice. Also bashing nurses wont solve anything. Although MA's may do the same thing or more than nurses, the bottom line is that nurses are licensed, and MA's arent which translates into more money and opportunity for nurses. In my area of the country RN's make more than $35,000 a year more than the most experience MA. That alone solidified my decision to become a nurse. Although we think we do the same job or more, our compensation level states otherwise. I have several Associate degree MA's in my class who feel their education was a waste of money due to pay wages paid to MA,s. All Associate Degrees are not created equal!

Are You Still In School? Yes

This is really an interesting forum. I too would like to see some movement toward "licensure" of MA because of many of the reasons already posted. MAs perform many technical jobs that RNs or LPNs do. I am considering going to RN school (I already possess a BS degree) just because of the MUCH poorer pay as an MA.

I believe that MAs should at least by "certified." Since there is more than one organization that "certifies" MAs, whose certification should be accepted. AAMA and AMT now require the completion of an approved course of study (on-the-job training is no longer acceptable) to sit for one of their certification exams. And there is some controversy out there concerning the "CMA"(AAMA) and the "RMA"(AMT) designations.

The American Association of Medical Personnel (AAMP) also offers a certification exam and results in the RMA designation.

Of these 3 organizations (AAMA, AMT, AAMP) the first 2 are probably the most widely regarded and all 3 offer reciprocity of their credentials if you are already "certified by an approved credentialing agency." I received my RMA,Instructor credential through the AAMP by reciprocity alone.

I think the main thing here about "licensure" or "certification" of MAs being lacking is caused by the fact that an MA works directly under the practitioner's license; hence the MA her/himself does not require certification. It's a really complex and vexing issue. With the future of allied health professionals being in such short supply, I can see some need for at least "certification" down the road. Medical malpractice is also a concern. Health care providers need someone who is "adequately" trained.

Can you let me know more about the petition? I would be interested in becoming involved.

Hey, guess what?? I just viewed your e-mail address and already sent you an e-mail this morning about MA legislation in Florida.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BSE; RMA(AMT)

Let us know if he answers you. He has not been on this board in months,and I really miss his input. I think he got very discouraged over the initial lack of response to his thread. Plus I think he knows what he proposed will never come to be.

I think that part of the problem is that a good many MA's simply don't care! I'm the only MA in our office that's even certified. The concensus seems to be "Why bother? I won't get paid any more because I'm certified!"

Once some type of certification is mandated you then have to get it mandated that the docs can not HIRE unlicensed/uncertified personnel. As it is, there are no laws to prevent that. So we fight our butts off to require that MA's be certified and the docs will replace us with unlicensed personnel under a different title....

Lorraine

Are You Working? yes

Hmmm, Sheila and Lorraine - some very good points to think about. Well, I am wondering about "will never come to be." When I first started working as a nursing assistant, you usually got OJT - no certifications required.

Now, in most all states you must go through the proper training and sit for a state licensure exam.
Kansas now requires that any individuals making X-rays be licensed. California and a couple other states require licensure of phlebotomists.

So, I do think that at some point, this could happen to MAs. I think it would be a good thing. I just think that it requires a group of people who are willing to take the time.

Yes, I think that you are right about certified MAs not getting paid much more than OJT'ers. And since there are no rules that MAs even get CEUs, this will take a lot of time.

I'm going t

Yes, Sheila he did answer my e-mail. If you will e-mail me I will send you his answer.

I will also let him know you miss his posts on this website.

I also would like to direct you to the following webpage:

http://www.amt1.com/site/epage/15341_315.htm

This is the AMT national website and there are 2 documents posted concerning the scope of practice of MAs and an MA tasklist.

It was interesting to note that there are a few states that are already requiring medical assistants to graduate from a CAAHEP, ABHES, or similar program in order to be an MA.

Unless this is a very new development, the state doesn't require you graduate from the programs, the AMT and AAMA however require that you graduate from
either a CAAHEP or ABHES program in order to sit for their certification exams.

Lorraine

Are You Working? yes

licensing ma,

there are a few things that need to be done before ma's can be licensed. 1st you would need to get the AAMA to endorse it because they have the money & resources to get the ball rolling. Although, I don't believe that the AAMA would want ma's to get licensed because the AAMA would lose their source of revenue. 2nd, you would need to contact a government offical such as a congressman, senator etc, and inform them on the pitfalls of nonlicensed ma's and the benefits to public of having licensed ma's. I don't think this will be an easy task, but there is saying 'a journey begins with a single step'.
lorianne

Are You Working? yes

Haven't seen too many new posts lately concerning this subject. One thing I would like to address: Why would the AAMA "not" like to see MAs licensed?

Instead of taking money "away" from the AAMA, the organization would probably GAIN money. Here's how it works: the individual states would require licensure, not the AAMA or AMT. In order to obtain a state license, the MA would need to be "certified" by some organization, such as the AMT or AAMA. So, in this case, "licensure by the state" is going to force MAs to be "certified." This would increase the membership for all organizations (ie., AAMA, AMT, AAMP) and bring in a LOT more money for them.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: B.S.E., RMA, AHI

Are You Working? yes

I have never been on this website before but I've noticed there haven't been many replies to this subject lately.I would love to see MAs be licensed it would only be greatly beneficial to everyone.PLEASE let me know if there is anything I can do to help this happen!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA Student

Are You Working? no

Suzanne-What you wrote makes sense but can you think of a reason why,if making certification or licensure mandatory for all MAs would bring in money to the AAMA,then how come they aren't pushing for that? Aside from all the red tape involved in getting the legislature going,then why are they stalling in even attempting to get this off the ground?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

1 2 3