This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
Re: !Regulating the MA practice!

To Wannabeanurse-While you are doing your clinicals and after you are pinned and licensed I hope you are not looked down on for being a first-year nurse.I understand some older, more experienced nurses have little patience for newbies. I hear nurses are the only ones who "eat their young." Sure, they all start out all about patient care and then the reality of shortages and patient accuity sets in and before you know it...you're drinking a six-pack in your car before you leave the parking lot due to the stress of being a caring nurse! This is what I thought about when choosing MA over nursing. Good luck!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? No

Hi Rena,

I hope that it will not be like that when I become a nurse. I must tell you that I have already been asked if I would like a nursing position with the doctor I already work with. Even if I accept work at a hospital or other healthcare facily, I plan to have enough knowledge and professionalism about myself to not to let other nurses intimidate me, I study hard in school and ask plenty of questions from nurses I already work with. So to make it short, I plan to have my stuf together before I get there.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NCMA

Are You Still In School? Yes, Nursing School

Are You Working? Yes

I think the reason that this process hasn't happened is because the Medical Examining Board in each state would be the licensing entity. (The same board that licenses doctors). Individual state laws supersede recommended scope of practice, etc. by the AAMA/AMT. Doctors would probably therefore put pressure on the Medical Examining Boards to not license Medical Assistants. If they did, doctors would end up paying higher salaries for Medical Assistants; because Medical Assistants would demand it. (not something they would want to do). It may also be that doctors don't want to be further restricted in the types of procedures that they can delegate to Medical Assistants. My state seems to be one of the more progressive states in the fact that the legal scope of practice for Medical Assistants seems to be wider than many other states and is expanding. I'm not sure what the answer is. I think approaching the doctors with #2 should be the first step. They have more bargaining power than we do. If they can see the benefits to themselves, we may be more successful. Even if they pay Medical Assistants more, they will still be paying less than nurses. I also think that it is up to us to make sure that we encourage anyone considering Medical Assisting to attend accredited programs; act as a professional and get Certified. There are apparently a lot of MA's out there that are giving nurses and others a bad impression of our profession. If there is anything else I can do to help, feel free to email me.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BS, AD, PNCC, SMA

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Does anyone know if MA's are any closer to becoming
licensed? I think this thread is very interesting and
informative. I would help in my state to push for this. I am working in a ER/clinic (hosp.) and often hear how MA's are not licensed-comments from the LPN's
and RN's.If MA's were licensed the animosity I believe
that is often felt by nurses may be erased. I don't think there should be any question about this; there can only be an upside to licensure.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: certified clinical medical assistant

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes. Hospital clinic

Wannabeanurse,

You weren't putting us down? Or promote everyone going into Nursing? Really?

"Please stop wasting your time wishing for something that is never going to happen. You will not ever receive licensure."

"Stop crying and just become a real nurse."

"The best thing to do is use the knowledge you have acquired, and go back to school to become licensed nurses."

I think the big problem nurses have with MAs is that people, in general, refer to them as "the doctor's nurse". Most people don't know what medical assistants are, but they know what nurses as. They know that nurses, like medical assistants, are usually female, and that they wear scrubs and give shots.

Here an example: I was driving past my dentist's office a few weeks ago with my younger sister. I seen my hygenist walking out and I made a comment to my sister "I know that lady." My sister, who obviously didn't see the sign for the dentist's office, replied "Who, that nurse in the blue scrubs?"

People generally associate females in scrubs with nurses. It's the way of the culture. I don't doubt that there are MAs out there that portray themselves as nurses, though...

Just my two cents...

WOW! Old post! But I thought it was quite interesting how wannabenurse started to put us M.A's down then disappeared. Oh, and for the people that think that becoming an M.A is what anyone can do, I beg to differ. I have seen some students drop out of the class. I have seen some students have to repeat the course due to not passing final exams. I have seen students fail because they simply could not draw blood. This does not mean they are stupid. THis just means the process of becoming an M.A was not for them! I told my Dad once, very recently, that I was not going to my graduation that was going to be held this year in November. He said I should go, and that it was a great accomplishment. I said very seriously, "It's not that important. I will go to my graduation if it was something like me graduating from Nursing." He looked at me with a smile, and patted my hand and said, "It seems so simple now, doesn't it. But when you look at the whole of it, it was just little steps to get you to where you are now. But that's just it. Its the simple little steps that lead to greatness, and in the end after we are done, it only seems like nothing at all." WOW~ I mean, i was stunned when he said that. I have to say he is right. Not everyone can do it, but when you do, it seems like nothing. THen you go on in life to make more greatness happen for you. Weather it is a hundred little steps or a few big ones, it's not the when we get there it's HOW we got there! By the way, My Dad is the one who posted on this subject in Feb2007m with the user name, "Im not an MA but I play one on TV". Danni might remember him. He was the one who led me to this wonderful forum and have been reading it when I get the chance, and have even posted it on my school's dry erase board in the Computer Class before I left. I am now a graduated M.A, and although I have not found a job, that has def. not stopped me from having the passion that I have from what I gained through my externship. I am now currently studying to take the CMA exam in October of this year! Even though I have no "real" experience on site, I plan to further my education and someday take the LPN course!
Thanks to all your wonderful M.A's on here, I have gotten so much from this place. Your words and thoughts inspire me. We should all rally together and support one another, this is what we are here for and what all M.A's should be...united.

I am for state regulation of MA's and the acceptance of our skills by other members of the medical community. I know that we have the AAMA and other fine organizations that are specific to our position in the field of medicine but it is not enough to foster acceptance , and we as a profession need to come together and let our voices land upon the ears of the medical community. I beleive that this goal could be complete with a proper structure set in place.

One way to gain acceptance is to become involved in your local state medical society and the local Chapter in your area. Another way is to Educate potential employers about what MA's can offer to their practice. You know what you can do and the proper way to do it , But does your Employer Know ?

The Keypoint is Communication at all level's . Write a letter to your state medical board with the proposal of regulating / licesencing the profession of MEDICAL ASSISTING and Maybe suggest that two catagories of licesence be adopted (1) Clinical MA (2) Administrative MA . Both Positions are self explanitory in thier respective natures.

Try this and keep me Posted on your progress

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA -C PCA

Are You Still In School? American College of Physicians

Are You Working? Full Time Patient Care

Changes evolve. In my state, we now have Licensed Midwives, who are not nurses. If they can be licensed, so can Medical Assistants. Most of the openings here are requiring either CMAs or at least have completed an accredited program; with preference given to CMAs. The role delineation for Medical Assistants and LPNs is becoming blurred in clinics and medical offices. In fact, it is not even required here to be licensed to do Practical Nursing; although doctors offices are still requiring Licensed Practical Nurses. It is not just my state, the 2008-2009 Bureau of Labor Statistics actually lists all of the clinical duties of LPNs in ambulatory care, under the clinical duties of Medical Assistants; with additional clinical and administrative duties for Medical Assistants. As I mentioned in an earlier post, we have an expanded scope of practice for Medical Assistants here. The states that are silent on Medical Assistants, actually have more latitude in their scope of practice. It may seems like nothing is happening, but it is. Read your State Statutes regarding Medical Assistants and you Nurse Practice Acts. See if you notice any changes in your state.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BS, AD, CPNCC, SMA

Are You Working? Yes

I am For regulation so my vote is YES and I would authorize the use of this statement to be used in any and all petitions for the inception of possible regulation of the field of medical assisting.

We as a Profession need to become united on this cause if we are to further the acceptance of our Profession within the Medical Community.

To all Practicing Medical Assistants and Medical Assisting Students now is the time for action. together we can do this and yes it will not be an easy task but with determination we can make it become reality and reap the benefits and honors that come with Professional recognition by the State in which we plan to practice our Profession.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA PCA

Are You Working? Yes

Hi. Iam new to the forum and so happy to be a part of it. I say HELL YES! to licensure of medical assistants. Maybe this would help all of the great MAs out there get the respect and pay we so much deserve. Also, this may help to make it possible for us to further our education from MA to LPN/LVN/ or even RN. Please email me and let me know if I could help in any way to make this a possibility!! Just one more thing to ponder. Do you think that the "Nursing Shortage" we constantly hear about, will help bring about change? I wonder if there WASN'T a shortage, How could Hospitals, Doctors' offices and Nursing Homes afford to pay all RNs?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant

Are You Working? Yes

This is a little long; but I just found something that I think everyone will be interested in and I wanted to share it. 7 State Medical Boards already do have Medical Assisting laws:

Arizona, California, Florida, New Jersey, Maryland, South Dakota and Washington State. Maryland and California's Scope of Practice for Medical Assistants is quite extensive. New Jersey Medical Assistants must have CMA or RMA credential, or credential from NCCT to practice. Arizona's scope of practice is also quite extensive, in addition to the more common duties that MAs are allowed to perform.

Other States:
Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Massachsetts, Maine, Michigan, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia and Wisconsin; do not have specific laws or regulations regarding the practice of medical assisting. In these states, Medical Assistants can pretty much perform whatever duties the physician delegates, as long as is a procedure that can be delegated, the medical assistant has adequate training to perform the procedure, the physician provides adequate supervision and it is not otherwise prohibited by law.

A VERY IMPORTANT POINT IN ALL STATES: Is that the duties and procedures need to be delegated and supervised by a MEDICAL professional. That means a physician, osteopath, podiatrist, etc). Therefore we should not be delegated duties or supervised by nurses. The nurse practice acts may allow them to delegate to "UAPs" as they like to call us, but the State Medical Examining Boards state that physicians are the ones that should delegate and supervise MAs.

In 2001 AAMA and AMT agreed on a Model MA Practice Act. The law would include a mandatory CMA or RMA credential and completion of an accredited program; unless the MA was eligible for "grandfathering". They apparently have been working with the individual states to get this law passed. We should all write to our State Medical Examining Board to have this issue put into a bill. If anyone has any questions, I'll will try to answer them.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BS, AD, CPNCC, CNMA

Are You Working? Yes

I was reading over the other posts again and I just had to add this...Within the MA scopes of practice:
Dialysis; including home dialysis; ultrasound therapy; electric galvation stimulation treatments; massage therapy; traction txs; transcutaneous nerve stimulation txs; small volume nebulizer tx's; whirlpool txs; diathermy txs; EKGs, EEGs; plethysmography tests (other than full-body); applying and removing dressing, orthopedic appliances; ear lavage; administering small doses of local anesthetics; establish peripheral IV lines; inject fluorescein dyes for retinal angiography; inject IV drugs or contrast materials; perform CLIA-waived lab tests; moderately-complex CLIA lab tests with additional training. All of these duties are in the approved Scopes of Practice of MAs from various State Medical Examining Boards. These are in addition to vitals, rooming-patients; assisting physician, etc. Some of these more routine procedures do not need to be done under supervision in Maryland. I just felt the need to add this for those who think that MAs are idiot peons dragged in off the street. We still have a lot of work to do to get salaries raised and get all of the states to require Certification or Licensure, but the fact that many of the Medical Examining Boards have legitimized our education and skills, we have more ammunition.

Are You Working? Yes

Click on the email for Wannabe Nurse; it's the same email as "Alvin" who in 2006 said that Medical Assistants know more than nurses. Interesting...

Are You Working? Yes

I forgot to say that licensure would enable MAs to further their education ONLINE. I am working full time and tried to go back to school for RN, I just think that alot of us out there would have a better chance of furthering our education online because of conflicts of scheduling life, kids, family, etc.
Thanks!!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant

Are You Working? Yes

I've been a Reg. Medical assis. for over 15yrs. I loved my job until I had to relocated to a different area and a new office WHAT A JOKE!!!! Girls that are fresh out of school giving me attitude because I'm not Hispanic, what is this all about? They cover for each other and go as far as to lie about it and point a finger at me . When I first started in this office I didn't need to ask how to do anything but would ask where certain things were in the office and instead
of answering me they either walk away or answer in SPANISH!!! don't get me wrong I have friends that are Hispanic.Half of the MA's in the office today HAVE NO BUSINESS being there. When in a office the main goal is to help the patients and make the Dr's day run smooth not have a attitude because someone isn't of your race, I never thought I would be made to feel like I didn't belong !!!! I've been trained over the years to do things like draw labs from ports and passports start IV. Iam all for getting more qualified
people in this field. 3 years ago I was making 19.0hr. but the job I was just talking about because all there staff was recently new at MA will work for peanuts it HURTS THOSE OF US WHO SHOULD GET MORE MONEY!!! I'm not the only person I know that is experiencing attitude about not being hispanic IN OFFICES, I will no longer work in a office because all of this CRAP! I now i'm checking into RN schools
and thats terrible that I have to go back to school again because of being treated as a outsider because I'm not spanish!

Are You Working? no

It is always difficult to start over in a new place, whether it is a new job or new state. There is always an adjustment period between the newcomer and the existing staff. This discomfort you feel, may not be racial.

You said that you have been a Registered Medical Assistant for 15 years, but did not say how many of those years you have been working as a Medical Assistant. Are all of your skills up-to-date; both administrative and clinical?

I would give it a little more time. Make sure that all of your skills are up-to-date and there aren't any other reasons for them to be treating you the way they are. Then if you are still sure it is racial, you can talk to the doctor; or then make a decision about nursing.

Are You Working? Yes

Hi. worked every years until last year. my skills are sharp , and I did go to the doctor who stated " yes I saw and heard that and told me to go to the office manager which I did and everything I discussed with her the staff knew within an hour so things got worse. Found out that she was related 9 people in the office ! go figure . I have a friend who has been an RN in the hospital prenatal unit for 7 yrs. recently decided to go into an office affiliated with hospital as a supervisor over 10 MA so she could have the weekends off , In the first weekend she called to say she was having the same problems with the girls under her and couldn't believe the disrespect and mouths on the young Ma's.mainly Hispanic and she's Hispanic SO I SAY AGAIN what is making the younger ma's think they know everything 1. I've worked always back office in surgery, preforming colonoscopy and flexible sigmoid, have been the coordinator for Liver transplant patients,worked oncology in the chemo rooms flushing and pulling labs from ports and passports and doing IV, so the answer are my skills sharp, sharper than 90% of the ones out there with the attitude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO YES LICENSE THEM and see.

Are You Working? no

We can't stop unaccredited schools from churning out MAs, but licensing would prohibit anyone without an MA license from practicing medical assisting. It would eliminate this type of behavior and also make doctors think twice before hiring unprofessional staff.

Are You Working? Yes

Here is a link to all of the State Medical Examining Boards' Contact and Website information:

http://www.cmellc.com/resources/board.html

Let's lobby for change! Mandatory Certification and Licensing. The Scopes of Practice should also be uniform with the most expansive setting the standard. Those who are serious about being a Medical Assistant, but who unfortunately attended an unscrupulous, unaccredited program should be allowed to take a licensing test and be offered the opportunity to take an accredited class to clear deficiencies and re-test; if they don't pass it the first time. The AAMA and AMT can still administer the Certifications exams as a requirement for licensing. CNAs have to take a Certification test by private agencies, before they are state licensed, why not CMAs? That way the AAMA and AMT still benefit too. We also need to lobby that after a certain date, graduates of unaccredited programs will not be allowed to become Certified and Licensed. Let's demand that this profession be given the credibility it deserves!!!

Are You Working? Yes

Re: Re: !Regulating the MA practice!

Did you say there was a link to scope of practice for the different states? Last I checked, the only thing I could find about MA's in Pennsylvania was in the form of "unlicensed personnel"....

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Working? Yes

Pennsylvania is one of twenty-two states, whose Medical Assisting laws fall under a general scope of practice. In other words, in Pennsylvania "it is permissable for a Doctor to assign clinical tasks to a Medical Assistant, as long as the licensed practitioner directly supervises and assumes responsibility for the Medical Assitant...it is within the scope of the MAs training, and the delegation is not prohibited by other law or regulation." I believe that I found this information on the AMT website. The other states that have these regulations for Medical Assistants are:

Colorado New Mexico
Georgia Ohio
Illinois Oklahoma
Indiana South Carolina
Kansas Tennessee
Massachusetts Texas
Maine Utah
Michigan Virginia
Montana Wisconsin
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska

Are You Working? Yes

Yep, that's what I thought, that hasn't changed since I last researched it. I really with PA would get with the program.

I've been trying to find the regs regarding starting IV's in PA. We're going to start Reclast infusions in the office and the RN asked if we (MA's) could start them. I told her I thought you had to be either an LPN or RN in PA but I can't find the documentation to back that up. I could swear I saw it somewhere but that was probably 3-4 years ago.

Are You Working? Yes

Lorraine:

The FDA information on Drugs.com regarding Reclast states that only a doctor or nurse will infuse it. I guess "starting it" is a grey area; however, after reading all of the potential side effects, interactions and adverse reactions, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it.

Regarding IV's in general, the Pennsylvania State Nursing Board regulations state the requirements for RN doing IVs, but does not state that ONLY RNs can do IVs. Therefore the requirement that a procedure not be prohibited by other regulation, IVs would seem to be allowed by MAs, if it meets the other conditions. But that's just MY interpretation. Of course, I am not a lawyer. As I said though, I would not feel comfortable with Reclast; and the FDA says only doctors and nurses may infuse it.

Are You Working? Yes

It's funny you should mention all the SE's. The drug reps that are setting us up to do the Reclast make it seem like it's no big deal. They're telling the nurse she can just start the infusion and then leave the pt.
She says there's no way she's going to do that. It's her license on the line. Meanwhile she's so bogged down with work, she doesn't HAVE an extra half hour a day to monitor one Reclast infusion, let alone more than one. It could be interesting...

Are You Working? Yes

I agree as much as MA are required to do, they should be able to be licensed, and with out a doubt better pay. There is not a huge difference between being an LPN or CMA.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

To all of my fellow Medical Assistants, it has been a while since I have posted a comment on this website. I am still currently working as a CMA in a Neurology Clinic. I am also still pursing a degree in registered nursing. I am proud and enjoy working as a CMA. I truly wish that we could get legislation passed to make Medical Assistants licensed personel. I am proud of my accomplishments while being employed as a medical assistant and hope to succeed at even more. I hope that the people who read and send comments on this sit will not think that I am trying to put MAs down. I am a MA and proud of it. I just want all ofus to get the recognition that we deserve as members of the healthcare team. I appologize if it seemed as if I was trying to make nursing personnel seem more prestigious or superior than medical assistants. That was not my intent at all. I was only commenting on how many of the other licensed healthcare professionals project their attitudes towards us. Again, I am sorry if I projected a negative attitude towards MAs. I wish all of you, including myself the best, as the professionals we are and truly hope that one day, we will be allowed the opportunity to become licensed professionals as well.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NCMA

Are You Working? Yes

I have been a Medical Assistant for over 13 yrs. I would love to see State Licensing for MAs. I have been very fortunate through the years to have worked for Physicians who were willing to let me do any and everything I was comfortable with. I have trained LVN and RNs into clinic nursing and have earned the respect due me. I can say I'm one of the lucky ones I make as much or more, than the LVN and RNs I work with. This makes it hard for me to want to go back to school to earn a license that wont get me any more money than I already make. I would love to be able to train online to further my nursing education unfortunately all programs are LVN to RN or RN to BSN.
I once started a new job and my first day an LVN asked me " what are you, a RN or LVN?" I replied with: Neither I'm a CMA. She said "Oh so you're not even a nurse" I said to her: I am a nurse, and a **** good one at that!" I told her she should look up the definition of 'NURSE' in the dictionary. We became good friends and I found it interesting that she always came to me for advice.
Thanks for listening, I love nursing!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA, CPT, CET

Are You Working? yes

River, what an eye-opening post. I admit, even I have always thought of nursing differently than medical assisting, and of course, in many ways it is.

Howver, with your very appropriate response (clever!), I too, had this a-ha moment that so many seem to lack, or miss, including myself.

Indeed, I took the time to follow your advice, and looked up the difinition:

"try to cure by special care of treatment, of an illness or injury; "He nursed his cold with Chinese herbs" - wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Thank you very much!!!! My own nurse vs. medical assistant perception (call it tunnel vision if you'd like) has been instantly broadened.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

Also, the Dictionary.com definition of nurse:

a person formally educated and trained in the care of the sick or infirm

Origin:
1350–1400; (n.) ME, var. of n(o)urice, norice < OF < LL nūtrīcia, n. use of fem. of L nūtrīcius nutritious; (v.) earlier nursh (reduced form of nourish ), assimilated to the n.

A person educated and trained to care for the sick or disabled:

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University

A person trained to care for the sick or disabled, especially one educated in the scientific basis of human response to health problems and trained to assist a physician.:

The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.

It's interesting that many of the states have been able to declare "nurse" a protected title, when in fact it is a common word in the everyday language that does not imply LPN or RN.

Doctors are now facing the same type of thing due to nurses who get a PhD in nursing wanting to call themselves a Doctor Nurse. Others with PhDs are able to use the title "Doctor".

I believe part of the issue in regard to the discrepancy in pay for MAs compared to LPNs and RNs has to do with the fact that the US Department of Labor classifies Medical Assistants under the heading of Heathcare Support; rather than Heathcare Professionals and Technicians, as LPNs and RNs are categorized. The US Department of Labor also still says that "Moderate-term-on-the-job training" is all that is required for MAs; rather than "Post-secondary Vocational Award" for LPNs. These are very important changes that need to be made to advance the profession.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BS, AD, CPNCC

Are You Working? Yes

Actually, most of what you post is OUT OF THE MA SCOPE, not in it. At least in my state. The fact that MAs in some states are allowed to do things things and not in others is one of the many reasons medical assistants need to be regulated on a national level. I do not think a MA should be doing the following things, and don't say I think so because I am a nurse...I was an MA once and understand the education of the MA and these things are not what an MA should be doing:

Dialysis; including home dialysis; ultrasound therapy; electric galvanization stimulation treatments; massage therapy; traction txs; transcutaneous nerve stimulation txs;whirlpool txs; diathermy txs; plethysmography tests (other than full-body); orthopedic appliances; administering small doses of local anesthetics; establish peripheral IV lines; inject fluorescein dyes for retinal angiography; inject IV drugs or contrast materials; perform CLIA-waived lab tests; moderately-complex CLIA lab tests with additional training.

In what states are these under the scope of an MA??? If the MA practice was regulated then it would not even be an issue. Either the things you listed above would not be allowed, or they would be included in ALL MA training programs.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN-BSN, CLD, CCMA-C

Are You Working? Yes

River
I once started a new job and my first day an LVN asked me " what are you, a RN or LVN?" I replied with: Neither I'm a CMA. She said "Oh so you're not even a nurse" I said to her: I am a nurse, and a **** good one at that!" I told her she should look up the definition of 'NURSE' in the dictionary. We became good friends and I found it interesting that she always came to me for advice.
Thanks for listening, I love nursing!

Actually, no you are not a nurse. Until you get your nursing degree and pass your boards you will not be. The term NURSE is protected by law in many states.
Instead of trying to claim you are something you are not and telling some one to look up the definition of "nurse", which you know full well is not the same thing as RN...RN is a EARNED title...be proud of being an MA say, "No, thats right, I am not a nurse, but I am a Certified Medical Assistant, I went to school for this position and I very good at what I do!"

Its this attitude that you have to claim you are something you are not that give MAs a bad name. I go to a nursing web site and they go blue in the face about MAs calling themselves nurses. I never quite understood the anger until I become a nurse myself. I worked 5 years for my nursing degree and it ticks me off when people who have not put in the time and hard work call themselves a nurse! You put in the time and hard work being an MA so call yourself one.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN-BSN, CLD, CCMA-C

Are You Working? Yes

I am sorry but being a medical assistant at an early age, I can say I may have been a "nurse" according to definition but being an RN is 100% different.
I earned those initials behind my last name with blood, sweat and tears. I am all for experience speaking for itself; however, I am not entrusting MY license (or losing them)by delegating inappropriately to LPN, Nurses Aide, or MA. It is offensive when the young MA's you all have discussed try and act like they "know it all" but they are the first ones to clock out at the end of the day knowing they are not responsible when it comes down to it.
Have a good day.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA to RN to BSN

Are You Still In School? y

Are You Working? y

I haven't been active in this discussion for quite some time. So interesting to read all of the new perspectives and information. I love to see that others are recognizing and responding to the issue of professional regulation!

We all seem to know the problems of existing educational programs, and their graduates; the variability of scopes of practice; some of the legal and ethical complexities; the importance of presenting this to organizations, agencies and states.

Our profession must have standardization and mandatory credentialing. First, the many inadequate medical assisting programs need to be identified (programs that require only minimal theory and practice); also examples of the regionally accredited certificate and associate degree schools. Scope of practice should be researched thoroughly, paying attention to how it relates to the education of the medical assistant. Cases and data of medical malpractice, due to activity of health professionals working under physicians' supervision, would provide validation of the legal implications.

A realistic plan could be proposed, detailing the possible structures of the credentialing process. With this information, a strong, factual and effective presentation can be created. Finally, we can determine the best delivery of our case (which national organizations would be the most effective?).

Let me know your thoughts.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA, BMO

Are You Working? yes

I originally started this post over 2 years ago. After having to take some time off due to health stuff, im back and ready to get crackin!
Songa, an experienced and educated member of the forum, has joined us in the campaign for change. We will be contacting members who have expressed their willingness to help.

Anyone interested can choose HOW they would like to help, then be grouped together and take on certain areas of the plan:
1. recruiting professionals (coworkers, employers, instructors, friends) to strengthen our team
2. researching schools (examples of bad and good)
3. state scopes of practice
4. legal issues (cases and data of liability)
5. structuring the credentializing process
6. writing the presentation
7. communicating the presentation to organizations

Let us know how YOU would like to help!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA, BMO

Are You Working? yes

I have a great passion for the healthcare Industry
My thought is yes to regulation and licensing nation
wide state to state to stop all of the frustration
with people calling us unqualified healthcare providers.Being Licensed healthcare providers will
increase our earning potential as well as standardise
our practice and education.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA AHI

Are You Working? yes

On average who earns more a CMA or a Certified Phlebotomy Technician?

And could you explain why
thanks

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Certified Medical Assistant. Atlanta Georgia

Are You Still In School? Graduated almost a year ago

Are You Working? Yes, for a Pulmonary Lung specialized physicians Group.

Happy Thanksgiving Everybody, I've been a NCMA for almost two years now...I think it would be a great idea for Medical Assistants to be lincensed to practice within their scope of practice. I have some bad Medical Assistants that just don't care anymore or are tired of their jobs. I agree that there are good bad in every kind. I believe if they do they give us a lincense we will love our jobs more.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NCMA, (NCCT), CNA

Are You Still In School? No.

Are You Working? Yes.

I am all in favor of this if this will make us more recognized. If this will help us find jobs and get us the respect we deserve, then yes, of course. I took my certification exam one month before I graduated,which was in December, so I passed my certification before I even graduated. I take my career choice very seriously

Are You Working? no

Here are my thoughts on this-- Yes, when we finish school, we should all have to take the same certification, at least state by state, like the nurses take theirs and put their licenses in the practice where they work.

I think some basic patient care should be taught to MA's at some point in the courses. I know I did not learn any type of bedside care.

What about furthering our education? What is the next step for us? My instructor said patient education. That is not what I want. I really wanted to be a nurse, but I started school at 40 and our program is so competetive that students take prereqs 2 and 3 times to get the GPA's high enough to get in. I don't want to do that at my age. Now that I have my MA, which is an AAS degree here, I wish I could just add on some classes that could get me to something "equal" to LPN in the eyes of the medical community.

Are You Working? no

I have been a medical assistant since '79 and have observed many medical assistants practicing well below and dangerously above an accepted scope of practice. I believe it is high time for licensure and educational standardization. Medical assisting began as a need for extra personnel in the medical office who could perform clerical and fill in with less technical clinical assistance to nurses and doctors. There is little or no respect from the licensed professionals toward the RMA or CMA. Demonstrated experience and consistency in the workplace are the only means of measuring the ability of an MA available to us at the present.

Further, there are medical assistants out there that have worked in a particular practice for so long that they have become invaluable to the practices they serve. I recently joined a highly respected institution at the invitation of a physician I have worked with for years and have had many obstacles to overcome due to the licensure issue. At present, I am taking prerequisites courses for nursing so that I might help somehow in this cause.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Working? Yes

I am still in school But I feel it needs to be Regulated.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Asst.

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

heartsopenwide
Actually, most of what you post is OUT OF THE MA SCOPE, not in it. At least in my state. The fact that MAs in some states are allowed to do things things and not in others is one of the many reasons medical assistants need to be regulated on a national level. I do not think a MA should be doing the following things, and don't say I think so because I am a nurse...I was an MA once and understand the education of the MA and these things are not what an MA should be doing:

I definitely think they should regulate the MA practice. This would help with all medical assistant jobs and will make sure that the patients are being kept safe at all times. Do you know why they don't regulate the MA practice by any chance?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Working? yes :)

In my state barbers/beauticians ,child care facilities have to registered and certified but not medical assistants. I attended school, did my clinical externships and set for my state exam. I have worked in several medical offices where people said they were medical assistant and had no training or education....one girl was a beautician and came from a mail room when she got a job claiming to be a medical assistant. And at my current position a girl came from an oral surgeon's office with no education, she does not even understand the basics of scope of practice. She has done several things lately that give the other medical assistants a real fear that something is going to happen to a patient. This same girl is now going to be in a procedure room helping to give spinal injections to patients. SCARY!!!!!!

Yes I support having laws in place to require medical assistants attend school and getting certified.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: currently getting recertified.

Are You Working? yes

1 2 3