This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I think I may have jumped the gun . A few questions.

So far it doesn't look good in so far as getting my schedule around school, family and work. How long do you have to tell the school you've changed your mind and can't start when you said you could?

Also, be honest with the $$$ issues in being an MA, if it wasn't for the fact that you'd have to do the school thing again, would you get your RN?

I met a MA, 20 years in the business, at my dermo office the other day and she told me don't even bother stopping at MA go right for your RN, that's where the $$$ is.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA, Nanny

Are You Still In School? Not 'til August

Are You Working? yep, but not as a MA

Re: I think I may have jumped the gun . A few questions.

You can drop anytime before classes start, and up until mid-terms I believe. If you are looking at the money aspect, yes, LPN or RN would be in a higher bracket, but the classes are quite a bit more difficult.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA,RMA, CNA, SN

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? yes

Tracy is right about the level of difficulty of the classes.

Two big things to think about besides that is: What setting do you want to work in? - do you absolutely hate the hospital and only want outpatient, or are you fine with/want to work inpatient to get your nursing skills refined?

The other big question is the hours. MAs generally work days in physician offices. Nurses hours are a little more difficult to work around family/daycare. Outpatient RN jobs can be found but many recommend at least a year of inpatient experience since you could be the only RN in the office and need to be on top of your game. That said, I am sure there are new grads out there that go straight to part time, days only (or weekends only, or whatever shift it is they need), and also into their desired specialty area. So, if you have kids and a spouse at home or family that can watch them during your weird hours, it might be worth considering going to nursing school instead. I have a husband who travels a lot for work and cannot be depended on for that kind of stuff as sometimes his travel is short notice and work schedule changes happen with hours' notice (eg - he gets a phone call monday nite that tuesday he is working at night instead of 730-530). The hours are a huge consideration for me when trying to come to the decision of what program to go through ( which is why I have been considering MA for a while now).

Good luck with your decision.

Also, another consideration:

How fast do you want to get working?

I just spoke with a formwer colleague who worked with me years ago as a Certified Medical Assistant. While there, she worked on her RN little by little. It took her 3+ years.

Last night she told me she is doing very well. No regrets at all. The experience she got back then as a MA while going through the RN program, she says, was priceless. To be working helped to support the family, having an income helped her to move forward (RN school one required course at a time)(we earned $15.50/hr back then). Today she is working in her capacity as an RN 3 nights 12 hr. shifts a week in our hospital's NICU (neonates). She earned $64,000+ annual last year.

We were joking about going back to the medical office we both started out--laughing loudly she pointed out--they couldn't afford her now!

Laugh!!! How true.

But the point is, that this lady truly meant it when she said her experience as an MA to move on into RN was invaluable and she feels that is was the right apporach.

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Admin

I agree Danni. My experience has helped tremendously in nursing school. Can you believe my school doesn't even require medical terminology??
We may never give an IM injection before we are done. It just isn't done much in a hospital setting. Administering oral meds, eye, ear meds, vitals, injections, mixing insulins... I already had experience so this helped TONS. I feel sorry for those going in cold with no healthcare experience at all. These accelerated programs don't repeat anything, move on to the next thing and review it yourself if you don't get it.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA,RMA, CNA, SN

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? yes

Thanks Tracy for your feedback.

You are right: if I didn't know you so well, I'd think you're pulling my leg!!! No medical terminology? No IM injections??? Uh, uh!

Hard to believe as the skills you mention is sooooo within the RN's scope of practice. Your MA training will truly give you an edge!!!!
-------------------------------

And thank you for your consistent support here. I really really appreciate it. It is a great service to thousands who come here for help and I couldn't have done it without people like you.

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Admin

No IM injections

Many schools, especially in New York State, don't teach the practice of IM injections because of the interpretation of licensure versus certification.

RNs and LPNs are licensed. CMAs and RMAs are certifified. Thus, in many states, MAs can't administer injections and MA programs are prohibited from teaching students anything other than the theory of injections.