This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A couple of questions

I have a few questions. I just recently got hired on at the doctor's office where I was doing my internship. While I was doing my internship I mostly worked up in the front office pulling charts and filing them, and anwering the phone. Since I got hired on I am doing the clinical part. I just recently started giving injections on my own, and in school they taught us how to give them in the arm but never in the hip, and I am really nervous when I have to give them in the hip because I have a fear of hitting the sciatic nerve. I was curious on if any one had any suggestions on what is the best location for giving hip injections, or any techniques that could be used. One more thing when you are writing down the Pts cc(chief complaint)do you write every single detail or can you be kinda brief about it. I would also love some opinions on that as well. Sorry this was so long.
Thanks,
New MA

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Re: A couple of questions

In regards to the history, the brief description is usually fine. The doctor can't take your word for it, so they have to ask themselves anyways.

For the injections, the ventogluteal is the safest IM site. The landmatks are placing your palm on the greater trochanter, placing your index finger on the posterior superior iliac spine, then stretching your middle finger across to the iliac crest. The injection goes between your two fingers. I'll see if I can find a diagram. There is less vasculature, and less chance of hitting the sciatic nerve than the dorsogluteal site. This is also good for infants and children over 7 months of age.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA,RMA, CNA, SN

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? yes

Scratch that. Anterior superior iliac spine.

Are You Working? yes

http://steroidsource.net/injection.htm

There you go, 2nd one down.

Are You Working? yes

ANOTHER GOOD AND EASY WAY TO GIVE A SHOT IN THE HIP, I WAS TOLD TO "BLESS THE BUTT" IN OTHER WORDS EXAMPLE THE RIGHT BUT CHEEK: MAKE A CROSS WITH YOUR FINGER YOU KNOW THE + SIGN, AND THEN INSERT THE NEEDLE TO THE TOP RIGHT OF THAT CROSS, IF IT WAS THE LEFT BUT CHEEK IT WOULD GO IN THE UPPER LEFT TOP. HOPE I WAS OF SOME HELP.

That is the old way of teaching, so I have been told, and that is for the dorsogluteal site, not ventrogluteal. That site we now use the greater trochanter and posterior superior iliac spine. Make a line and go above it with the needle. I was tought the + method too, but now we are using bony landmarks.

Are You Working? yes

Wow Tracy, very technical, and I did find the site you refered to a great refresher on some terminlogy and techniquie (?sp). However, if you can give 3ml in to either site does it really matter? 2nd, with many peoples wt's anymore unless you using a 3.5 or longer needle the med are going SQ anyway (if your 5'9" and you weight 200 plus the squeeze of the tissue there is more than 3 inches of adipose tissue). So for a new M.A. who if given a written test and a class room should be able to name, list, and explain those steps no problem. I think maybe Suzanne's tip it more helpful, and will get her though that fear of "I have to go do this by myself" (like the first time you drive with no one else in the car).

So, New MA, always get an order, double check what you draw up (drug, strength, and expiration), then go in there and "Bless that butt" (and don't forget to chart it, 'cuz if you don't chart it you didn't do it)

Your Professional Title/Credentials: M.A

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Well the ventrogluteal is the safest route due to the fact that you don't have to worry about the sciatic nerve, and textbooks will tell you it is the safest. Even though you can give up to 4 ml so they say, I never give more than 3 ml per site, and I always Z-track it. It's less painful for the patient and less cayustic tot he superficial tissues. Our clinic doesn;t even have a needle longer than 1 1/2 inches.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/ CNA/ SN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

New MA,

I think the above suggestions are great but I would be upfront with your supervisor or another MA or nurse in your clinic and ASK for help. Have someone come in the room with you for the first few injections and show you exactly how to admininister the IM's.

Don't worry about "not knowing everything". When you're new, you've got all the excuses in the world to ask for help. If you don't ask now and then wait a year to start asking simple questions, your employer will wonder why you didn't ask for help in the beginning.

I hope that helps. Congratulations on your new job. ENJOY it. It's a GREAT FIELD!

Kim

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant

Are You Working? Yes