This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DON'T UNDERSTAND

HELLO EVERYONE. I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW SOME OF YOU ARE GRADUATED, OR JUST GRADUATED, AND CANNOT FIND A M.A. JOB? I MEAN I LIVE IN A SMALL GA. TOWN AND MY INSTRUCTOR TOLD ALL OF US TODAY IN CLASS THAT SHE KNOWS THE PERSON RESPONSIBLE FOR HIRING M.A.'S IN DOCTORS OFFICE'S IN OUR TOWN THEY NEED "GET THIS" (BETWEEN 10 AND 13 MA'S SHE COULD USE RIGHT NOW, IF ONLY I WAS GRADUATED. I JUST WANT SOMEONE TO TELL ME WHY YOU ALL ARE NOT BEING HIRED, I MEAN 1 YEAR OR MORE TO GET HIRED, THAT'S RIDICULOUS. WHY EVEN BOTHER BECOMING A M.A.
SUZANNE

Are You Still In School? YES

Are You Working? NO

Re: DON'T UNDERSTAND

Good question. Because a lot of us are fed a line at admissions time and in orientation about the high demand for MAs,that it is the fastest growing field in the job market. What we weren't told was that there are more MAs than there are available jobs. What you were told sounds fishy,like there is a high turnover rate in your area. Either that or a large lack of the MA schools that are cropping up everywhere. Where I am at is about 10 schools that teach it.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: UNemployed

Are You Working? Hardly

Re: DON'T UNDERSTAND

I wish it were that easy. When I started school, I was told that there is a huge demand for MAs. Doctor's offices that are not in the hospitals hire MAs because it's too expensive for them to hire a nurse. Nurses get paid $60-70k a year from the start if not more and MAs only make $20-24k. So I thought I will have no problem getting a job. I was so wrong! It's been a year since I've graduated and I took a test and became RMA, yet no job. In my area, no one cares about the title if you don't have at least a year experience. I volunteered to go on and do my externship longer, however, was told that they have enough MAs and I had to go. So now I'm stuck, even though I have the title, I got no experience, except the 3 month externship and nobody wants to hire me. I am very upset because I was not told the truth by the school I went to took RMA test for nothing and owe $5000 in loans. How am I supposed to pay them?
It sounds like your area is different, however. You are very lucky!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no