This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ECPI MA program?

I posted yesterday about how I should approach my career, since then I have been told by many graduates from the College i'm attending to find out how much it will cost for me if I decided to transfer out and into an RN program. They are having a lot of trouble finding jobs after they graduate and both nurse's and the doctor's agree that we are not being taught what we should be being taught. Our class schedules are so out of order and we're all very confused. The school I want to attend is Howard University in Washington Dc. If I take the metro it'll be about an hour and a half away from where I live. The colleges around my area all have waiting lists and if I do transfer I definately do not want to wait. I really would like to stay in the MA program since the majority of my family members have started out working as a MA and went on to become an RN. All have said being an MA first has helped them out a lot.I don't know if any of you have heard of ECPI? If any of you have been here please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Amber

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Graduate as a MA in June 2007

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Re: ECPI MA program?

Hi Amber,

I actually attend the same school as you do, also at Manassas. I'm just in term 3 so you are farther along than me. I'm keeping an eye out on your responses as well because I'm trying to decide if I am going to stay MA or switch over to LPN.

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Rosalyn,

Is it possible for us to switch over to LPN? If so will you still be attending ECPI or go to another college? My advisor was Ann and she told me that the LPN program is more extensive and you have to go Monday-Friday. What classes are you taking at ECPI? I've taken Medical terminology, Microcomputer applications, A & P 1, Medical office procedures, freshman orientation and career orientation. I am in Medical office administration with Dr. Sahai, and A & P 2 with Mrs. Holden a new instructor. I heard that you can bridge over to RN if you do LPN but most of your credits dont transfer for MA. I will have to work so it may be difficult to work around the LPN schedule. I am so confused. I can't believe I let Ann talk me out of the LPN program. That was my initial decision when I first came to the school.

Are You Working? No

I have decided to transfer over to the LPN program. I enjoy the clinical aspect of the job, and not so much the clerical or adminstrative aspect of the MA job description. I have to talk to Dr. Jalal first but I am sure he will be understanding.

Are You Working? No

I just started going there in March. Yvette was my rep. She told me that LPN's were going to be phased out in the future, and that MA's were the biggest growing job. So far I've taken Microcomputer Apps and Freshman Orientation. This term I have Medical Terminology with Dr. Weiss. I also had keyboarding but tested out of it last night. If it wasn't for the fact that I don't have anyone to watch my kids while doing clinicals, I would go the LPN route. Right now, MA is what's going to work for me. Make sure you talk to Keith about switching over to see what classes will transfer to the LPN program. You've taken so many classes already. If you have to start over that could mean more money, and longer to finish. We have to get together and meet in person. It's cool actually chatting with someone so close to me. I go to school on MW right now.

Are You Working? no

Rosalyn,

What I've heard is that LPN's are being phased out as well and that there are only positions available for them at nursing homes like annaburg manor. If I can I believe I'm going to do the LPN route. Hopefully atleast some of my classes will transfer over. I plan on talking to Keith and Dr. Jalal on Tuesday about it.I used to work for Dr. Jalal as a work study, he's a really nice man. The reason I'm considering doing this is because I don't want to waste my time getting the MA degree and always regret that I did not switch over to LPN. If I had to work in a nursing home for a few years while I finished the RN program I would. Are you a morning or evening student? I'm evening. Dr. Weiss is so nice and he is my favorite instructor so far. He has helped me out a lot with deciding where I want to be in my future. I know that it may take me a little longer to graduate and a little more money but in the long run I feel if I don't try to atleast transfer I will always regret it and I have too many regrets in my life. Sorry, I'm just confused. Either I stay as a MA and then be put on a waiting list for a couple years or transfer to LPN and be able to bridge over to RN after I am done. I really don't have anyone to talk to who can give me some advice.I can never seem to get a straight answer from ECPI.

Are You Working? No

Amber, I feel the same way that you do. My dream is to work in L&D someday, or maybe even Pediactrics. Right now with my kids it's impossible for me to do. I am an evening student, also. I'd be happy to meet you. Maybe we can go out to lunch after school on Saturday or something. I may not be able to help you with your decision, but I am always here as a listening ear.

Are You Working? no

Thanks :) If you don't mind me asking how old are your children? I lost a daughter last April due to my diabetes, I was 5 and a half months along so my dream is either to work in the NICU as a RN or pediatrics.

Are You Working? No

Rosalyn,

I'm sending you an email so that we dont have to keep talking on here and taking up space :).

Amber

Are You Working? No

Rosalyn,

I have decided to stay in the MA program at ECPI. I think it would be nice to actually get a degree than a diploma. I figure I can always graduate, get a job and start working on my Pre-requisites for the RN program and hope by then the waiting list will have gone down some around here!

Amber

Are You Working? No