This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How can I get experience if no one hires me?!

I've been unemployed for about 3 months now! And its only because I can't speak a foreign language and I don't have 3 yrs experience! What can I do?!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? Graduated

Are You Working? No

Re: How can I get experience if no one hires me?!

I'm still in school, but I've read on here and the yahoo boards that if you are able to, try and do volunteer work or an extra externship at a dr office.

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

I am in the same boat! It's been over a year since I've become a RMA and I am still without a job. Most employers either want at least one year experience or Spanish. I don't speak Spanish and was not able to extend my externship longer then 3 months besause they had 3 MA's and did not need anymore, even though I said I would do it for free. Some suggested I learn Spanish and then get a job(if I knew the language I wouldn't even need experience), however, I cannot afford to take classes, and as many advize, you can't learn it from watching spanish programs. If it's possible, stay at your externship at least for a year, if not maybe you know someone working in the doctor's office of a hospital, that could mean alot. You could ask them to help you get a job. Hope you'll be able to get hired!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no

Does your school have a list of jobs?
Our school gets a lot of requests from local places and posts them in the lobby for prospective graduates.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA,RMA, CNA, SN

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? yes

if learning spanish is what's keeping you from getting a job then i would spend 40 hours a week learning spanish. you can prob buy a spanish course online to do at your own pace. if you're spending 40 hours a week practicing spanish you should be fluent in no time. i'm also considering learning spanish.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN

Are You Working? yes

This is my problem as well. After graduating from my program December of 2005 (7 months ago at this date) I have had SEVERAL interviews. I have lost count after 15.
There were only a couple that I knew I wasn't what they were looking for but all the rest were very positive. It is soo frustrating! My GPA in school was 3.87, I even provided tutoring to other students. My externship went great but was only 6 weeks.
Currently I am working fulltime at a fast food place...thought it would only be temporary so wasn't worried about the pay. Now I have been forced to apply at some higher paying entry level jobs just so I dont go broke!
Other than volunteering what else can I do?
Any tips for a surefire way to win that interview?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA, CMA

Are You Working? no

WOOT! I finally landed a job! The bonus is its a department I have always wanted to get into: Dermatology.

Its been a hectic week for me...I got a job at a factory for the higher wage, after giving my two weeks notice in at the fast food place they offered to make me a manager so I accepted. The NEXT DAY I get offered the job at the hospital! I had gone in and spoke with the lady in charge of volunteer services that week as well. I dont think that did anything towrads the job offering, but its a wierd coincedence.

Anyway, hang in there! It took awhile for me, I wish you all luck!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA, CMA

Are You Working? YES!

Congrats Dona! :)

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/ CNA/ SN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes