This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Who can sit for the RMA exam

I've heard that just people persuing their AS can. Is this true? I don't have the $$$$ at the moment to get my AS so I am only getting a certificate. That alone is costing $11,000. I don't want to be paying student loans back until I'm 75!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: student

Are You Still In School? yep

Are You Working? yes, but not as an MA

Re: Who can sit for the RMA exam

Certification Requirements:

1. Applicant shall be of good moral character and at least 18 years of age.

2. Applicant shall be a graduate of an accredited high school or acceptable equivalent.

3. Applicant must meet one of the following requirements:

A. Applicant shall be a graduate of a:

1. Medical assistant program that holds programmatic accreditation by (or is in a post-secondary school or college that holds institutional accreditation by) the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) or the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Programs (CAAHEP) OR,

2. Medical assistant program in a post-secondary school or college that has institutional accreditation by a Regional Accrediting Commission or by a national accrediting organization approved by the United States Department of Education. That program must include a minimum of 720 clock hours (or equivalent) of training in medical assisting skills (including a clinical externship) OR,

3. Formal medical services training program of the United States Armed Forces.

B. Experience

Applicant shall have been employed in the profession of Medical Assisting for a minimum of five (5) years, no more than two (2) years of which may have been as an instructor in a postsecondary medical assistant program.

4. Applicants applying under 3 A or B must take and pass the AMT certification examination for Registered Medical Assistant (RMA).

5. The AMT Board of Directors has further determined that applicants who have passed a generalist medical assistant certification examination offered by another medical assisting certification body (provided that exam has been approved for this purpose by the AMT Board of Directors) and who have been working in the medical assisting field for the past three out of five years and who have met all other AMT training and experience requirements, may be considered for RMA (AMT) certification without further examination

taken from www.amt1.com

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA,RMA, CNA, SN

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? yes