This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Increasing MA education standards

Would an increase in the education needed to becoma an MA increase the pay and respect for the profession? Seeing these late night commercials from strip mall schools advertising courses to become a Medical Assistant seems to cheapen the profession. I mean its hard to take the MA profession seriously when any mom and pop organization can set up shop and teach a person to be a MA. I know that one can obtain an Associates Degree as an MA but in my opnion as long as there are those alternative schools out there it will be dificult for MA's to get the pay and respect that they deserve.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: undeciced

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? Yes

Re: Increasing MA education standards

We will never get the correct pay we deserve. I got my education through a College and graduated with honors and I still only make 9/hr. As long as we continue to take jobs for pay of peanuts they will not change. And if you don't like it they will just find some one else that will do it. Part if why medical assisting has such a high turn over rate.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C

Are You Still In School? BSN program

Are You Working? yes

As long as we stay certified and not liscenced, I don't forsee much of a change in pay scale. Hopefully they can get rid of the non- accredited schools so we can get more respoect.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA,RMA, CNA, SN

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? yes

I agree with you, coast. It seems like many "schools" are popping up with 9 mo. programs, which appeal to those for a "quick-fix." I have earned an Associate Degree with a two-year program, but you can also get into a nursing program for almost the same amount of time. ( had I known then what I know now..haha).Alot of the pay issues are based on experience and you have to earn the respect by proving it on the job. It I live WA and they pay fairly well here( around $14/hr.), but cost of living is much higher.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Well I am about to finish my externship from Remginton College. It was a 9 month program and fully acredited. I can sit for the RMA next month. I don't feel I was short changed in any way. My externship just hired me starting at $12.00.
We were taught blood draws and injections from the 2nd week and did them every day. I don't think I need a 2 year degree.
HOWEVER, I do see your point with the 2 and 3 month schools and those that don't allow you to do any invasive procedures until your extern.

Robyn

Are You Still In School? yes on externship

Are You Working? for free!

The only way I know to be able to take the certification exam from the AAMA (CMA) is to have graduated from a program that is accredited by CAAHEP. I just finished an 18 month program and have an Associate of Applied Science in Medical Assisting. I am registered to take the CMA on the 23rd of this month. Some of my fellow classmates say the test is very difficult. How can someone even pass it on just a few months education anyway.

I am amazed that there are schools out there that can educate someone in 2, 3 or even 9 months and say they are a medical assistant. How can someone learn all the pathology, A+P, pharmacolgy, clinicals and office skills, not even to mention coding in that short of time. I spent over 18 months and it seemed like we whizzed by everything.

There is a big demand for CMA's in the midwest where I am. But the pay does start out pretty darn shabby at $9.50 an hour or so. Some of my friends are making more money in hospital settings doing blood draws. But I am in a primary care office and love what I am doing. I figure if you stick with it, and do the best you can...the money will come later.

Liz

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant

Are You Working? yes

"I am amazed that there are schools out there that can educate someone in 2, 3 or even 9 months and say they are a medical assistant"

I would agree with you on the 2 or 3 months. I just graduated from Remington College. It was a 9 month program. It was very condensed and FULLY ACREDITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Through American Medical Technologists!! I will be sitting for the RMA next month. This is a recognized credential. I have a 4.0 grade point average and was selected to be Student of the Year for my school. I am going to the national convention for AMT next week in Reno, where I'm entered in the national contest (for student of the year amongst Pima, Blair, Intellitec..all of the those schools too) So while I doubt I have much cahance of winning the whole thing, I'm proud to have been selected.

I got hired on my externship, they said I am a great MA. They are starting me at $12.00. I resent you saying that because I went to school for only 9 months that I shouldn't call myself an MA. You don't know me, you didn't go to my school. How can you make such a sweeping judgement like that? I was also taught enough and have more than enough blood draws to take the RPT exam as well. (phlebotomy) 2 or 3 months is not the same as 9.

Are You Working? yes

AMT/CAAHEP different credentialling (did I even spell that right?) agencies. I got an associate of applied science in my 18 month 105 hour program. I am still amazed someone can learn all I had to learn in 9 months...but it is obviously the difference in programs - degree vs. diploma or certificate and accreditation. No better/ no worse...just different. No need to take offense, kudos for your success!

Are You Working? yes

I think the bare min for becomeing a medical assistant should be a diploma or AA degree from a REAL college (ie community collge). It's just like the LPN and RN thing, one has a diploma and makes less while the other has a degree and makes more. Those MA's with AA's should make more the MA's with a diploma!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA, DT, CNA

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

"I think the bare min for becomeing a medical assistant should be a diploma or AA degree from a REAL college (ie community collge)"

So if my diploma isn't from a REAL college,(which would have taken way longer AND cost more but would be exactly the same) then it isn't good enough?

We did way more injections and blood draws then the local CC program, a few classmates were enrolled there and switched for the better program at my school.

Are You Working? yes

I think Tech schools are ok if the are CHEAP approved. But you really need to think about going that route beacuse you are very limited in your career growth with a diploma from one of those schools. You most likely will never advance in your career as must healthcare org's (ie hospitals, community health orgs) require a AA degree for managerial jobs. Your earnings will also be much lower if all you can do is stay a staff MA.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA, DT, CNA

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

A diploma is not the same as an AAS degree, just like an AAS is not the same as a BS or BA. There are different levels of education going on here. That's why there are two different accrediting agencies, they have two different sets of criteria. They might not be much different in the job market, but they are different.

Are You Working? yes

of course, a diploma is without all that basic stuff English, History....I've already taken all that why do it again? Why should I pay for stuff I've already taken? Didn't make sense when I wouldn't be paid more if I had taken it twice.

Are You Working? yes

I'm happy being an MA for now, I already have a History degree. I'd like to be a PA in the future. but being an MA now is just fine. I don't want to deal with paperwork ick! Nope. I'm happy with the clinical stuff.

Are You Working? yes

BradT made an excellent point:

"...advance in your career as must healthcare org's (ie hospitals, community health orgs) require a AA degree for managerial jobs."

I have stated in the past, that employers don't care whether a medical assistant has a diploma or a degree in medical assistant. They mostly care that the MA can DO THE JOB and having to pay them only as much as they "must". In other words, they wouldn't necessarily pay more just because a medical assistant has a degree.

However, when it comes to landing a manager's position--and that's for ANY industry (check out Monster.com for examples) a college degree is a MUST! Employer's won't hire anybody into higher positions unless they have a degree.

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Web Site Owner/Admin