This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
questions

Hey everyone Im Tasha. I am 22 years old and I want to get my carrer started so I have decided on Medical Assistant. I am from Oklahoma in a little town... I just want to know is there anyone from here that can give me salary info and job info. I have talked to alot of people around here and they really dont know what it is.. Is it kinda like a lpn? or we under lpns or rns? or cnas.. I just dont really understand... I would like to know before I start the classes. thanks please someone respond.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: ma

Are You Still In School? attending this august

Are You Working? no

Re: questions

We are under RN's and LPN's, making fractions of what they do. Welcome to the world of working your butt off for nothing. I consider myself above a CNA because we can draw blood and give shots, let alone they only take one 6 unit class. However, most CNAs get paid more. You can get paid a little more if you work in a specialty office

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C

Are You Still In School? BSN program

Are You Working? yes

thanks for responding. Cnas make more then MAs? hows that...?... man that sux i guess I should be a cna... grrr... I just dont want to do all the work cnas do... I dont know.. someone tell me...

Are You Working? no

I make more than a starting LPN here now that I have years of experience. MA's have a lot of patient responsibility and it is extremely rewarding IMO. You may want to look at a LPN program as well and weigh your options since you can finish that program in about the same amount of time and both are in the healthcare field. Do your research! :)

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA,RMA, CNA, SN

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? yes

HI, I JUST WANTED TO SAY THAT I WAS IN LPN SCHOOL FOR 6 MONTHS, GOT STUMPED ALONG THE WAY SO I WAS DROPPED, BUT NOW I AM IN MY 3RD QUARTER OF MED ASSIS. AND I AM MAKING GOOD GRADES, IT IS A LOT EASIER THAN LPN OR RN SCHOOL, BUT MY HEART IS STILL IN NURSING, SO I WAS GOING TO FINISH THIS FIRST, GET A COUPLE YEARS EXPERIENCE IN, AND THEN WORK AS A MED ASSIS, WHILE I GO TO A RN SCHOOL AND HOPEFULLY I WILL HAVE ENOUGH EXPERIENCE TO MAKE IT AS A RN.
FOR MORE MONEY AND FOR A DREAM I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED.
HOPE THAT HELPS

Your Professional Title/Credentials: TOOK 6 MONTHS OF LPN, NOW IN MED. ASSISTING

Are You Still In School? YES

Are You Working? NO

(At least in my area) CNA's get hired at hospitals and nursing homes. They usually start out at 10/hr. At my job I started out at 8.25/hr four years ago and am only getting 9/hr now. I would totally apply for other jobs, but this one is really good about working around my nursing school. I have never heard of an MA making more than a starting LPN. Not in my area. Starting LPNs make about 14'hr starting out. The most I have ever hear an MA make is 12/hr with experience and in a specialty practice in a town about 30mins away. I heard of one office in our area that gave a bunch of pay raises because they had some one give a talk at their office who warned them that they better start paying their MAs more or they would start to loose them. I wish they came and talked to my office!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C

Are You Still In School? BSN program

Are You Working? yes

Goodness... I did take the enternece exam for lpn and it kicked my butt. it sucked. so maybe I'll just be an medical asst then if i dont like it then I guess I can try lpn or rn again.. Why doesnt hospitals have medical assts? hmmm I want to work in a hospital. thanks so much for ya'lls responces it has helped me alot.. thanks!bye

Are You Working? no

Some hospitals do hire MA's but they don;t utilize all of their skills, and are treated as " techs".
I make $15 an hour at an urgent care clinic. I can sit for my LPN boards in January and was told it wouldn't be worth it pay-wise because the starting LPN's make 14- something. I'm going to anyways for experience.

Are You Working? yes

My God! Where do y'all live? I make 14.50/hr here in Maryland and only have about 1.5 years of experiene in the office setting ( I worked in a hospital for 5 years as a Tech). It seems like everyone else here makes much less. Tasha, becomeing a MA is a good thing!! But if you can futher your education beyond the MA diploma!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA, DT, CNA

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

I live in Poteau Oklahoma... Like 25 mins from Arkansas. If anyone knows or can find out the salary here please contact me. What is an externship? and what is IMO? in a recent message someone wrote me. Thank you and have a good day.

Are You Working? no

I live between Madison and Milwaukee. Starting pay here for MA's is 11-$12 an hour.

Are You Working? yes