This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
like to ask a question to someone who is already a medical assistant

what filing system do you'll have in the office you work and tell me about your phone system ( how many line, is there a phone triage manual and answering service) and tell me about the office equipment you use. I need this by June 20, 2006

Your Professional Title/Credentials: medical assistant

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Re: like to ask a question to someone who is already a medical assistant

We file alphabeticaaly, have only 2 phone lines ( we are an after hours clinic), and I don't know what you are looking for in terms of office equipment. We use the hospital computer program for scheduling, looking up labs etc.
We don't have a triage service. I handle the calls and then document them on phone triage sheets that get filed alphabetically.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA,RMA, CNA, SN

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? yes

I am doing a research paper for school. I am currently going to Medical Careers Institute in VA. Thank you Tracy for helping me. Question what medical practice do you work at and whats the address and phone #.

Are You Working? no

ould anyone tell me about scheduling. How fast do you have to know how to type and transcription(type of machines and is it an outsourced. Also I would like to know about your chain of command, responsiblities, and certifications.

Are You Working? no

Well our transcription goes to the hospital, and we usually have a 2-3 day turnaround. The doctors dicatate on an Ipaq, and then it gets synched at the end of the shift. My supervisor is not on site. It is myself, a doctor, and a receptionist. In terms of our shifts there is no chain of command as I am the only clinical staff on site. MA's have to have current certification, and they also hire LPN's for this position. There isn't a WPM criteria for receptionists, as they basically do data entry. The CMA's work back office, not up front.
This is in Wisconsin.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA,RMA, CNA, SN

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? yes

I work in a Gi office in Maryland is a "paperless" office and all of our charts are accessed via computer ( ea Pt's labs, visit and radioloy are scanned into the sysytem and sent to the Doc for review). Each Pt has a medical record that is found in a system called G-med and we also use a practice mangment sysytem called Centricty ( I think I spelled that wrong, sorry). In centricty one would find Pt's demo's ( address, insurance infor, visit info, billing indo etc.) We have a main phone number with 5 or six lines and each employee has their own ext and voicemail. The receptionist schedule appts and do other admin tasked that are delagated to them by staff MA's (no nurses in the offie I work in )

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA, DT, CNA

Are You Working? yes

Thanks BradT for the info

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA student

Are You Working? no

Anytime

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA, DT, CNA

Are You Working? yes

hi! tracy my name is ollie Im in school for an Associate Degree in Medical Assistant.I attend school in the Milwaukee area at Bryant& Stratton College.Ihave to do a career research paper on my chosen career and would like to ask you a few Questions if you don't mind. Pertaining to the Medical Assistant field.I see that you have completed your MA education and I would appreciate any help that you can give me.Thank you,

Questions such as:
Describe a typical day at your job.
What do you find satisfying about this job.
What are the biggest challenges you face in this work?
What do you not like about this job?
What educational/training preparation do you suggest?
What salary range could I expect to start in this job?
What continuing education options are available in this field?
What future potential is there for advancement?

Are You Working? yes

Hi Ollie. I got my degree from WCTC Waukesha in 1993. To answer your questions..

Describe a typical day at your job. I work at an after hours clinic, and I am responsible for counting narcotics, ordering supplies, sterilizing, taking x-rays, dispensing medications, patient check-in and treatments, as well as assisting the doctor with whatever they need.

What do you find satisfying about this job. I never know what type of illness/injury will walk through the door. It's exciting.

What are the biggest challenges you face in this work? people checking in having a heart attck would be on the top of the list.

What do you not like about this job? As with any other job, politics

What educational/training preparation do you suggest? Working at a clinic to get some experience, attenbding seminars offered by hospitals etc..

What salary range could I expect to start in this job? In Jefferson County, around $11-16 an hour

What continuing education options are available in this field? You can sopecialize in lab, coding, telemetry etc..

What future potential is there for advancement? You can hit a plateau at clinics, but it will take a long time. You could then go on to teaching or something as well.

Good luck!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/ CNA/ SN

Are You Working? yes