This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
LPN vs. MA

I see there's a "tug-of-war" between becoming a LPN or MA. You research both, then make your decision from there, but I will share this, I currently work for the Dept. of Public Health(Philadelphia, PA) LPN's and CNA's have been phased out! I work side by side with 1 LPN, 3 MA's, 3 RN's, and 7 Nurse Practioners. I have 2 nursing supervisors(RN's) who ask me questions about lab test and special supplies for labs. I'm in charge of 3 departments Gyn, Prenatal, and Geriatrics. I was appointed the contact person for all Pharmaceutical Reps who visit our facility when the Clinical Director(a MD) is unavailable. I was activated by the Health Commissioner and my Director of Nursing to work "Project Brotherly Love" with the Katrina victims. I also appeared in "Advance magazine for LPN's to stop the usage of CMA(Certified Medication Assistant) for CNA's, and my latest accomplishment was last week as the guest speaker of the 45th graduating class of Thompson Institute where there were over 75 Medical Assistant Grads! I was a former Medical Assistant Instructor at Thompson for 5 years and now I have 3 former students that are currently Instructors at the same school!!! For this, I am quite proud to be a Medical Assistant and I still serve on The Advisory Board of the school since 1994. So as you can see, you have to put something in to the profession to get something out of it! Good Luck

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? yes for EMT

Are You Working? yes

Re: LPN vs. MA

Thank you for this great post. I read it with great interest and am very impressed. It's been quite an interesting journey for you. For all who don't know... Cynthia has also been one of the very first people to get involved in my medical assistant web site "efforts". She's been "around" since my most humble beginnings when the "Advanced Medical Assistant" web site was just starting out.

Hmmm... let me see, that would have been since early 2001. She's always been loyal to this this site and the medical assistant group... Way to go Cynthia.

I agree with you. Like with any career, you get out of it what you put in. And as far as LPN vs. MA, I'd say either go for the MA training ad put your heart into what you love, or go for the RN (and do the same). I would skip the LPN.

Danni

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Web Site Owner/Admin