This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
suggestions for Men seeking MA employment

Ramon Smith
Sep 27th, 2004 - 6:39 PM Re: Re: Sad but true! Where are the men?
Well in response that is exactly what is happening to male Medical Assitants. We sometimes outshine our female counterparts and still get passed over. Thats exactly what has been happening to me. But I have now learned to become creative. I will list a few things that may help all male MA's
1. Become Certifed
2. Try looking outside of the box and work as a Paramedical Examiner for companies like Port-a- Medic where you get paid for doing basic exams venipunctures, recording vitals, ekg;s, urine collection and specimen collection for life insurance purposes. Pay between $18-$25 per exam!

Ramon goes on with other suggestions, I cut it off there.

My question is more general besides Clinics and Doctors offices, where are generally accepted places to look for employment as a Certified MA?

I am a displaced worker, this is my fourth or more career change if you count jobs I had in high school. All have been longer term careers, no less than 5 years at any one.

TIA

Jeff

Your Professional Title/Credentials: working on it

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Re: suggestions for Men seeking MA employment

Some hospitals hire MA's as " techs". They then have you specialize in certain areas, such as EKG tech, phlebotomy tech etc..

Also insurance companies may hire MA's to go to homes and collect vitals and blood for insurance physicals.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/ CNA/ SN

Are You Working? yes

Re: suggestions for Men seeking MA employment

thanks for the reply.

Keep them coming

I want the best chance I can when I'm done with the program.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: working on it

Are You Working? no