This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is age a factor?

Glad I stumbled across this site. I've been interested in MA courses for a long time (okay, maybe I waited a little too long) but don't know if potential employers would have a problem hiring me because I am a 49er. Actually by the time I enrolled and graduated I'd be in my 50s. Hate to go through the expense and time if they think I'm too old. Heaven forbid! I'm physically strong (I run and do various activites) and my mind is pretty sharp.

So what do you think? Should I go for it? I'm not ready for the rocker yet.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Transcriptionist

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Re: Is age a factor?

The average age for people entering the healthcare field is in their 40's, 43 I believe was the age. I just read that in the American Journal of nursing. I say go for it!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/ CNA/ SN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Your not too old at all. I think it is a perfect direction to take for those that are older and do not want to spend so much time in nursing school. When I went through my MA program five years ago I was only 20 and other than one girl who was 18, the rest of the women in my class were all in their 40's and a few in their 50s. Not to say men can not beome MA's there just was not any in my class

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C

Are You Still In School? BSN program

Are You Working? yes

I just graduated in March and I am 45. I have a great job as a clinical medical assistant in a general practitioner's office. One of my friends is 52 and she has a job in a lab. There are lots of possibilities for you! In fact, many employers find older employees more professional and reliable. Go for it! I bet you won't be sorry:)

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yea

This topic cought my attention. I checked for more info on the Web and came across a great article by Monster.com titled Careers at 50+.

Here is the link. Very worthy of reading and bookmarking!

http://careersat50.monster.com/

Brief Quote: "The secret to avoiding self-sabotage is to present yourself as an optimal combination of what you are and what the employer is looking for: An energetic, lifetime learner who knows his industry, keeps up with technology and can communicate effectively with colleagues of any age. Here's how to prepare."

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Site Admin

I will let you know in 2 years when I finish with MA school. My plant closed it's doors and I will be 55 when I start life all over again.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Laid off from Sony Electronics.

Are You Still In School? Just starting in the fall.

Are You Working? no

Frank,
impressive!!!!

What made you chose the medical assisting career?

And if you read the "Where are the Men" article on this board (sticky near top) you understand that men have it a little harder to break into this female dominated field. Not that it is impossible... and here we all are for more men in this occupation!

My advice: focus heavily on mastering your phlebotomy skills as offices are SCREAMING for skilled phlebotomists - and men have a better chance.

Read Phlebotomypages.com at http://www.phlebotomypages.com

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Site Admin

I was offered free schooling after my plant closing and selected the health field due to the fact I can finally do something I wanted to do for a long time(helping others) but was to busy with establishing other necessities in life like (food and paying bills). I was a skilled technician in my field at Sony Electronic's Inc. but all that experience didn't seem to help me find a new job, especially at my age. My first intentions was to go directly back into the work force after loosing my job, but was turned down many times due to being "over qualified", in other words I was being discriminated against but couldn't prove it, so I will be used to that part after graduation from MA school. I did post on the "were are all the men" post. Thank's for the support--I will need it.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Laid off from Sony Electronics.

Are You Still In School? Just starting in the fall.

Are You Working? no

Danni-Are you aware that there was a bill introduced in Missouri that would require medical assistants to be certified in phlebotomy? It's also an issue in the Minnesota Senate. I read about this in the recent AMT magazine,and it may be on their website. The wording is confusing,since the requirement is LICENSURE in phlebotomy,yet phlebotomists are only certified. That aside,it is a worthwhile idea since I saw many of my MA classmates who had no idea what they were dealing with when it came to blood drawing.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/PBT