This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Which is better - A Certification, AAS or AOS?

Which is better? To get a Certificate for MA, or a Associates in the Applied Sciences or Associate in the Occupational Sciences? I'm about to start the registration for a private college, but before I do, I wanted to know whether to spend all this money for a AAS or AOS with a MA major or just go to a technical school and get a Certification.

Thanks for your help!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Sales

Are You Still In School? About to start college

Are You Working? Yes - part time

Re: Which is better - A Certification, AAS or AOS?

I think it depends on what kind of job you are looking for. As an MA, I think certification is sufficient. If you are considering an associates, you may want to look into ADN. JMHO

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/ CNA/ SN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

I went to the college yesterday and 3 semester would could me $33k. That was a estimation. My question is, Is it really worth it to obtain a degree when some have learned MA via Certificate program for a lot less. Can someone give me some insight?

That sounds extremely costly. Several have gotten cetificates for around $5,000. Check out your local community colleges before you take the plunge. Around here AAS doesn't matter, only certification for clinical positions.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/ CNA/ SN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Thank you Tracey for that insight, because I was pretty bummed out when I sent to the college and they gave me those figures. Only 2 semesters cost $15,000 alone, and it's a course with 3 semesters fulltime, 6 parttime. And in this area (Richmond, Va) MA's typically only average around $21k to $25k. So I wouldn't make enough to pay my regular bills nor my student loans. Crazy huh? Does anyone know why these tech. colleges are charging so much. Most of them in the area cost no less than $20k for an Associates Degree. What's the deal here?