This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MA Student questions

HI
I am 18 years old and a recent high school graduate. I also have a 10 month old daughter. I start MA school July 31. I reside in Georgia.
I have a few questions

1. By me being so young do you think it may be difficult to find a job?
2. Do you recommend being a MA?
3. What are the common work hours?
4. Do hospitals hire MA's or just nurses?
5. What type of setting pays a MA the most?
6. Last, I want to be a CMA was the test hard or does it depends on how good you paid attention in class and training?

Thanks so much

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant Student

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? NO

Re: MA Student questions

Here are some answers the best I can give-
1. I say the younger you are,the better chance you have of being hired,moreso than someone in their 40s. What matters is that you know your stuff.
2. Recommend? No,but then I am one of those having trouble finding another MA job. I also am kicking myself for not going in the nursing direction,a field that gets far more recognition and respect,not to mention the abundance of jobs available. But many love doing what they do as an MA. The key to it is to take it seriously,as in getting certified etc. And don't expect a lot of money.
3. Common work hours,from what I have seen,are the doctors hours. If they start seeing patients at 8:30,you are there at 8 and if the office closes at 5 you could be there til 6.
4. Most hospitals have only nurses while offices have MAs and nurses. Why,I don't know (about the exclusion of MAs at hospitals). Can someone else address that?
5. This I can't answer but I would hope a more well off establishment would pay more.
6. The RMA test, which is like the CMA test(and don't let anyone tell you it isn't ) was easy. But even those who feel they failed it,get a high score. Just study everyday for 2 weeks before you take it.

And good luck that first week of classes.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/PBT

thanks so much

it seems like something i want to do but the only part that concerns me is the pay. I have a young child and i want to be able to afford my own home one day...well be able to take care of us if all fails with my boyfriend

i considered nursing, the only problem is what they do is something i'm not that much interested in doing. put the way is wayyy better!!!

Are You Working? NO

So maybe I don't stand much of a chance of being hired at the age of 53 after I graduate

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Laid off from Sony Electronics.

Are You Still In School? Just starting in the fall.

Are You Working? no

If you look like,act like and know what you are doing,you have every chance of getting something. But a teacher told me this-it isn't skills that always gets you in,but how you SELL yourself. The key is presentation. That,and knowing what you are doing.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/PBT

The pay scale for MA's through the hospital I work for is 11.00-16.18 depending on the amoutn of experience.
the average student age for healthcare careers is increasing tot he mid-thirties, so I don;t think age is much of a factor anymore.
MA's are not hired on much at hospitals due to the certification and not licensing I think, there isn't really a physician to work under unless you are in the ER. You can get hired but your position is usually a " tech" position where you are taught a specific skill such as telemetry, EKG, IV etc..

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/ CNA/ SN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

thanks everyone

i'm glad there are forums for medical assistants

i'm about to start class next Monday!!!

Are You Working? NO

Shenicka how is classes for you? Im starting in 2 weeks and im scared to death... Where are u from?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: student ma

Are You Working? no

hey
i'm from georgia
school is great...i study alot but that's fine
my school is fast paced...ma in 36 weeks but i really like it...we do injections this week and i just started last week!!! but we in class from 5:30 til around 10 sometimes we only be in class for like 3 hours but i love it

Are You Working? no

I have to disagree with pbt...age is not a factor in being hired. I am a person who reviews the resumes and calls back the ma for interviews...I look for experience, so who do you think would have more experience an 18 year old who just graduated or a 40 year old who has been working in the field for 20 years? If they are both new grads and applying for a position, I still would not rule out a 40 year old...it would depend on grades, resume, work history etc.
l.lopez lpn

Your Professional Title/Credentials: lpn

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes