This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
apical pulse

Ok im really getting frustrated here. I am having a real hard time hearing an apical pluse clearly I have a littman light weight scope. and all i seem to hear are my finger bones/joints moving even when im perfectly still,what am i doing wrong? HELP!!!!! any suggestions?

Are You Still In School? yes

Re: apical pulse

Jen,

What type of ear pieces to you have on your steth? I have found that I can't use the stantard "bulb" looking earpieces, I use the mushroom looking ones - when I have puchased my sheth's they have come with a few extra pieces including different earpieaces. Maybe you can try that.

I am not sure if your model has a dual head but using a bell head (not a flat diaphram) can also help when listening to heart sounds, or taking apical pulse.

Hope that helps,
Chil

Your Professional Title/Credentials: M.A

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

here is a link of the scope i have http://www.allheart.com/littmannlwt.html tho i paid twice as much and i have the black bulb looking earpieces on there like the ones in the pic.My teacher told me to put my thumb over the little end(kwim) BUT wouldnt that pick upo my own pulse?

Are You Still In School? yes

Jen,

Do you mean the hole on the small side of the head?, if so and you can see into the hole your stethoscope is open to the bell side. You should be able to turn the head of the scope and tell which head you are using. This may be the problem. Resting your finger on the head of the scope you should not pick up you own pulse, unless the side of the head not against the skin is open, you are using your thumb and pressing very hard.

Try turning the head and taping on each side of the head to tell which way it is. It kind of hard to discribe, but play with it an I think you know what I mean.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: M.A

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes