This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
To those of you working..

How often are you asked to do something that is out of your scope of practice? Just curious.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/ CNA/ SN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Re: To those of you working..

I have worked at the same office for years, only one Doc, and I think "we" skirt the edges very often. That maybe because he came from a 3rd world country where he owned his assistants, not employed them and he still has to snapped back to the reality every now and then. When I won't do things it really drives him crazy and will try to prove to me it is in my scope (i.e - the tread we both replyed on with the AZ girl who was giving the lidocaine injections before minor surgery - in "my doc"'s mind just a subQ inj "I'm not asking for a nerve block") it doesn't bother me so much when the outside my scope is medical related and I can work it to some extra training - outside the scope bugs me more when it is stuff like - check my personal email or book my families vacation plans. How about You?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: M.A

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Well I work Urgent Care so my situation is a bit different. I work with several physicians, but they have their daytime staff to attend to those personal things. I have started saline IV's, and done a few catheters. Moreso because the doctors haven't found a vein since residency and the poor patients would suffer! LOL I have taken inservices and classes for IV's though, so I do have training.
That is actually one of the reasons I am in the ADN program, so I can do all the tasks that could possibly be needed in that type of setting. I am also really tired of being referred to as a nurse and having to correct everyone. You'd think they'd learn over the last 8 years I have been there

Are You Working? yes

Re: Re: To those of you working..

I am so with you on the nurse thing We only have 2 MA's at our office, the girls in the front are normally college girls from ASU, so they really don't know that the person at the Dr's office isn't a nurse (if you know what I mean)- hey are usually majoring in education or English. I love to watch them freak out the first time someone upchucks in the lobby. Sorry I digress....

I think the thing that happens for me that is most out of scope, and I won't do - is when Rx's bounce because it is not on the pt ins formulary and Doc tells me to choose an equivalent. I will stand on my head to get a prior auth. for a non formulary, but I won’t choose a different drug. LOL

Your Professional Title/Credentials: M.A

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

I hear you. I worked with a doctor who wanted me to ok refills. If they have been in for their 6 month follow ups, I was just supposed to ok them. Ummm, no thank you!

Are You Working? yes