This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
questioins need help

Hey! Can medical assistants take blood? and are they certified to do so? if I cant get a job being a ma can i get a job being a pheblomist? please tell me everything medical assistants do thanks...

Your Professional Title/Credentials: student ma

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Re: questioins need help

yes, drawing blood is included in the MA program, so you should be able to get a phlebotomy job. Not sure if it pays as wello or not though.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/ CNA/ SN

Are You Working? yes

I have a certificate in Phlebotomy, trust me you will make more money as a MA than a Phelebotomist and also take blood and do more than a Phleb.

My dream is to work in a hospital being a MA, I am from Oklahoma anyone else from here? and do you think ill be able to get a job at a hospital? thanks

Your Professional Title/Credentials: ma student

Are You Working? no

Hi Tasha

We have many great opportunities. Our company has Licensed Vocational Nursing, Medical Assisting, Phlebotomy, EKG Technician, Medical Lab Technician etc… We are Looking an Instructor to teach Licensed Vocational Nursing, Medical Assisting, Phlebotomy, EKG Technician programs. Required MD or foreign equivalent + 1 year of clinical experience. Have any experienced LVN’s in Usa Please sent your resumes …if u want more information about this post ,Please visit our site http://www.imededu.com/Pages/Jobs.aspx

regards
Daya

Tasha, I'm from Texas so Im not sure about Oklahoma but here, a Medical Assistant is better suited for clinic nursing. The hospitals tend to use MAs like CNAs, you know - changing bed pans and bathing... stuff like that. In a clinic you get to do just about anything your doctor will allow you to do(Although, some states have regs that determine what you can and can't do)

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA, CPT, CET

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

From what I was told by my instructors, MA's cannot work in hospitals. They are limited to working in doctors offices and I think clinics. But LVN's and RN's can work in hospitals. Just letting you know so that you know ahead of time.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: SMA

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? Yes

Amanda
From what I was told by my instructors, MA's cannot work in hospitals. They are limited to working in doctors offices and I think clinics. But LVN's and RN's can work in hospitals. Just letting you know so that you know ahead of time.

Several regional medical centers/hospitals hire medical assistants to staff their patient reception areas, and admin. Since they also have many ambulatory clinics and offices associated with the hospital, many medical assistants work directly assigned to the doctors and licensed staff. They hire ONLY RMA and CMA, though. Certification is a MUST to be considered for the various positions.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Forum Owner/Site Admin

The Hospital where I am will not hire you as an "M.A" BUT as a "clinical recep ". What it means is I am a clinical MA doing all the clinical stuff BUT cannot draw blood or give injections. Now on the other hand I did work as a phleb for 3 months at said Hosp missed my MA stuff tho, and the pay was way less.
When I was working for a GP outside of the Hosp who had her own practice I was drawing all the blood and giving all the injections. It also varies state to state I think.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: M.A

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes