This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: I'm Clinical Medical Assisting Instructor

PR
go to a community college or public school instead! Not only are they cheaper, but a better education! Things are not shoved down your throat too quickly at a community college and if you have a disibility like i do, a community college offers support as most private schools do not.

For everyone, don't be so quick to judge private vs public. Public schools are cheaper, but not necessarily more supportive. I was also passing with A's in all the classes, but developed a temporary (2 day) physical handicap, the public school wanted to drop me completely as I couldn't get to class for 1 day & have no system in place for makeup classes. Nor do they care either.

What one has to do, is look at the specific program & how it is run - who are the direct administrators, how honest are they with you, ask them pointed questions on how they handle helping students pass, what is their graduation rate (with proof to you) & GET IT IN WRITING.

Remember, public school teachers get paid the same as private school instructors. The state subsidizes the public school instructor salaries - they get paid whether or not you finish.

I am wondering if some private schools at least, actually try to develop a good relationship with their students & work to help that student, instead of treating them like dirt.

My experience with private (not trade) schools in the past has been very good in general. I cannot speak about trade school as I've never gone to one.

The state community college public schools on the other hand, well, I've seen them treat MA students like trash & not even try to help a student develop.

They just throw students away, as they have so many applicants. They just pick another from their list. There is no accountability at a public school with those administrators to the government or the state boards.

The students can't even make suggestions, as they know the administration will single them out and make it even harder for them. (I saw this happen to several students. And, this is always very easy to do to a student when the tests are subjective and not multiple choice. Thats an old trick of instructors that has been used for years).

Something is wrong, when OVER HALF the MA class is gone by the time externships come around.

I saw many people there who were trying & for the most part doing well, but if something came up, they got no help or support from the administration. No tutoring available; no office hours or even an office (only email - this is a big red flag - as it should suggest to you "Fly By Night" instructors who are not truely dedicated to helping the student); the program director did not return phone calls when a voicemail was left, nothing.

If you missed 1 class (even for an emergency) you were out, even if you had a physician's letter.

To me, this is wrong, as now with the internet, a makeup test could easily be given under a secure connection to the school. As well as lecture handouts posted on the internet, if a class was missed.

For me, the classes were not hard, but there was no academic support system in place for students. There is no excuse for this type of shoddy system to be in place. It suggests laziness/ don't care attitude on the part of the administration to me.

And, to make matters worse, they make you wait a year, to make up one class, and, in addition, make you take over the prerequisite classes - (yes thats plural) - you already passed with an A.

Of course, you spend all the money over again with this system.

A graduation rate of less than 50% speaks volumes of the teachers and administration.

Caveat Emptor.

Hello,

I am looking into enrollment into an accredited program for 12 months in California. My concerns are employment after school and the schools accreditation which is California Certified Medical Assistant (CCMA), and I wonder if that is reputable.

This is my second career, my first in accounting and I would really like to return to work, as I have been unemployed for 6 mos.

Thank you

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Unemployed

Are You Still In School? Contemplating enrollement

Are You Working? No

M.D.
One overall thing I have a gripe about, as a practicing physician, is that the MA schools are not teaching what I want, as a physician.

Do I want you doing my billing? In all honesty, no/zero. I do not want someone with only a high school education keeping track of my billing, reports & posting deposits, that had 2 months of training in it. on a scale of 1-10, I'd rate this a 2 (nearly non-important). MA schools don't know this.

Do I want you to be able to work computer appointments or know manual appointment methods? Yes, in a pinch, But that is the IMO, the job of the front office person.

Do I want you to know & understand medical terminology & abbreviations? Yes. absolutely.

Would I *love* to have you be knowledgeable enough, to know how to get Epocrates Online on your handheld computer/iPhone type thing (that you should be having)? Yes, absolutely. You should know how to use apps like this when looking up & giving meds. By the time a book is published, it is out of date. So forget those hardcopy nursing drug manuals - ancient history. (MA schools don't know this either).

Do I want you to room a pt? Yes, clean up the room from the last pt, get the chart, take VS, hgt, wgt.

Do you need to know what is sterile & what is not (& how to clean it up)? Yes absolutely, or we both get in trouble (financially or morally).

Give injections? Yes. Know sites for various injections/ age group; IM, SQ, needle sites, gauge, syringe size.

Know math? Absolutely. Don't kill my patients with a wrong dose EVER.

Draw blood? Not super important as most offices send patients out to a lab. (On a scale of 1-10 this is a 3. MA schools don't know this).

Phone triage? Yes. Know what is an emergency & what is not, & let me know right away.

Know in house small tests (ie: Accucheck, Urine dip, PT, do an ECG)? Absolutely, & know to alert me STAT if any of these tests are really, in dangerous levels.

Assist me with minor office surgeries/ procedures? Yes, if just to be there, be sterile, & hand me things, or put your finger over a bleeder.

'MA schools don't know this.' -> Most of all, I would LOVE to have someone who keeps track of labs (ie: whether the pt went & got them. If so, on my desk promptly. AND let me know if 3-7 days has passed & I don't have the labs/ xrays etc. Then we need to get after the patient/ lab company/ hospital & find out what is going on). To have someone who gets the discharge summary & orders from the hospital when a patient of mine comes back to the office (before they suddenly show up under my shingle).

This they don't teach you in MA school. This test followup is one of my biggest gripes about MA schools. And, they don't even mention it, but that is far more important to me than your even doing a blood pressure (which I can do myself, if push comes to shove).

In a non-student related vein, I have called these MA schools to find out what they are about education-wise (West Coast). Unfortunately, they do not even have 1 MD/DO on staff for clinical guidance. This is a BIG mistake because people with Masters in Education are the program directors, & really, they can only guess what clinical practice involves - they have never experienced it. "Formal" talking/ meetings to ascertain what is necessary, with several M.D.s etc isn't going to cut it with what I want. You need to have been there.

A nurse can't teach you really, what a physician needs either. So they do not make a good program directors. Lots of nurses *think* they know, but don't (unfortunately, some won't admit it to themselves, either).

Loyalty? Yes. Don't trick me, & I won't treat you badly either. We are a team.

What would I pay? $15 to $20/hr to start. A good MA is nearly priceless & guaranteed a job for life, IMHO.

Be my "right Hand Man". so to speak.

Thanks for reading.

Hello. I am looking into being either a Medical Assistant or a Nurse. I would like to know your opinion on Allied College and their program. I am at a loss right now on what to do. Either go to Allie for MA or the Comm College for Nursing. I know the Comm College is well known for their program. However, I am not sure about Allied. Also, do you know how 'in demand' MA's are?? Thank you!

M.D.
One overall thing I have a gripe about, as a practicing physician, is that the MA schools are not teaching what I want, as a physician.

Do I want you doing my billing? In all honesty, no/zero. I do not want someone with only a high school education keeping track of my billing, reports & posting deposits, that had 2 months of training in it. on a scale of 1-10, I'd rate this a 2 (nearly non-important). MA schools don't know this.

Do I want you to be able to work computer appointments or know manual appointment methods? Yes, in a pinch, But that is the IMO, the job of the front office person.

Do I want you to know & understand medical terminology & abbreviations? Yes. absolutely.

Would I *love* to have you be knowledgeable enough, to know how to get Epocrates Online on your handheld computer/iPhone type thing (that you should be having)? Yes, absolutely. You should know how to use apps like this when looking up & giving meds. By the time a book is published, it is out of date. So forget those hardcopy nursing drug manuals - ancient history. (MA schools don't know this either).

Do I want you to room a pt? Yes, clean up the room from the last pt, get the chart, take VS, hgt, wgt.

Do you need to know what is sterile & what is not (& how to clean it up)? Yes absolutely, or we both get in trouble (financially or morally).

Give injections? Yes. Know sites for various injections/ age group; IM, SQ, needle sites, gauge, syringe size.

Know math? Absolutely. Don't kill my patients with a wrong dose EVER.

Draw blood? Not super important as most offices send patients out to a lab. (On a scale of 1-10 this is a 3. MA schools don't know this).

Phone triage? Yes. Know what is an emergency & what is not, & let me know right away.

Know in house small tests (ie: Accucheck, Urine dip, PT, do an ECG)? Absolutely, & know to alert me STAT if any of these tests are really, in dangerous levels.

Assist me with minor office surgeries/ procedures? Yes, if just to be there, be sterile, & hand me things, or put your finger over a bleeder.

'MA schools don't know this.' -> Most of all, I would LOVE to have someone who keeps track of labs (ie: whether the pt went & got them. If so, on my desk promptly. AND let me know if 3-7 days has passed & I don't have the labs/ xrays etc. Then we need to get after the patient/ lab company/ hospital & find out what is going on). To have someone who gets the discharge summary & orders from the hospital when a patient of mine comes back to the office (before they suddenly show up under my shingle).

This they don't teach you in MA school. This test followup is one of my biggest gripes about MA schools. And, they don't even mention it, but that is far more important to me than your even doing a blood pressure (which I can do myself, if push comes to shove).

In a non-student related vein, I have called these MA schools to find out what they are about education-wise (West Coast). Unfortunately, they do not even have 1 MD/DO on staff for clinical guidance. This is a BIG mistake because people with Masters in Education are the program directors, & really, they can only guess what clinical practice involves - they have never experienced it. "Formal" talking/ meetings to ascertain what is necessary, with several M.D.s etc isn't going to cut it with what I want. You need to have been there.

A nurse can't teach you really, what a physician needs either. So they do not make a good program directors. Lots of nurses *think* they know, but don't (unfortunately, some won't admit it to themselves, either).

Loyalty? Yes. Don't trick me, & I won't treat you badly either. We are a team.

What would I pay? $15 to $20/hr to start. A good MA is nearly priceless & guaranteed a job for life, IMHO.

Be my "right Hand Man". so to speak.

Thanks for reading.

What a great article!!! And so true! Most well versed Medical assistants know what you want. They have learned it on the job. However, new graduates very likely don't. The externship site would be a great place to start teaching them at least some of these values before they graduate, even if it was just one or two.

Perhaps doctors who accept externship MAs should have a clear outline as to what they want their MAs to learn, and convey this to their office managers, and other staff. I have heard from many student MAs, who were placed in an office, and they are expected to work right along the staff, without much instructions. Some stated, they are desperately looking to fit in, but do not receive the guidance that would point them in the direction they need to go. Many student MAs on externship are regarded as free help, rather than students. Indeed, they can be free help, but it should be a WIN-WIN situation for everybody, not just the office. So, some of the responsibilities also falls on the medical office staff, and doctors at the externship site.

Having said that, I would like to give you a voice on this. Since this excellent post is so deeply buried in this forum, and long thread, I have taken the liberty, as the website and forum owner, to copy your post, and place it directly into the MedicalAssistant.net website, on it's own page:

http://www.medicalassistant.net/what_doctors_want.htm

Please feel free to review the article, and let me know how I might cite it, to give proper credit back to you, as the author. Also, please feel free to submit any changes. You can contact me at the given email address in this post, or post here.

Again, thank you for this invaluable insight.

Danni R.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

Are You Working? self-employed

Thank you for this article, MD! This is valuable information!

Jenny

This depends on where you are. I work with plenty of fellow nurses that have a lot of tattoos and piercings, even on their faces and they do not have to cover them up. As a medical assistant I had a nose piercing and they did not make me take it out.These things are becoming a lot more acceptable.

Also, just because some one has a history of EOTH or drug abuse..."ever" does not mean they can not be a medical assistant, many people go through rehab...

Sorry, but I doubt your a real doctor.

M.D.
And, (after reading more of these posts).

1. Know how to spell (even in this forum), if you are using "Text-Speak" that is a real turn off to me.

2. No prior felonies. Misdemeanors, well, it depends.

3. No history of drug or alcohol abuse, ever.

4. No tattos (if you have them, they better be able to be covered up always, even in the hottest weather).

5. No "body jewelry" other than pierced earrings. Sorry, but I am not looking for a trendy fashion model, I don't need or want Hollywood. I need someone who looks & acts conservatively.

6. No spiked or un-natural colors of hair.

Appearance matters, so dress professionally. Be neat & clean.

HTH

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN-BSN, CLD, CCMA-C

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? Yes

In my experience, going to an accredited MA school was no guarantee of a good education. Cheating was rampant (and the instructors didn't care, they would even leave class during tests and once during a final!) One instructor gave the answers to the tests because he said it was the only way some students would pass. Our new books had so many mistakes. I was always finding things marked wrong on tests that I had gotten right because the teacher's answer key was even wrong. I was the only one in my class that got a 4.0 without cheating then I got to my externship and found out all of the things I didn't know how to do. The doctor told me it was a common problem. The first week of my extern she offered me a job but there were no benefits and the pay was low so I told her I would stay until she found someone else (she did 3 months later).

I recently worked 5 weeks in a dermatology office training to work 3 days/wk at the front desk (phones, scheduling, etc). It was for 3 physicians and I realized that I just didn't have enough experience to keep up with the pace needed (too bad because I loved the other 2 days a week working back office). The physician appreciated my honesty and said she would give me excellent references. So here I am, 52 yrs old, responsible, dedicated and I need a job. I love working back office, being with the patients and being part of a team. I previously worked part-time in neurology research. The problem I'm finding now is that job openings are for 2+ years of experience or for CMA's (which I plan to start working on). I'd love to have the 2+ years but first I've got to get the first year behind me.

From the little experience I have had, I do agree with the doctor that some of the MA schools are out of touch with what the medical community is looking for in a medical assistant. Obviously, depending on the specialty some doctors may utilize their MA's abilities more than others. It seems the schools need to be listening more to the medical community who will be hiring their students. These students are in many cases, paying a lot of money for an education that they assume is preparing them to work in whatever healthcare venues MAs are working. In my opinion (and in the opinion of my school career counselor), my education was below par and I think of that every month when those student loan payments come due.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? No

Good point, Maddy. Goes perfectly with what was originally Posted by M.D. => =>
"One overall thing I have a gripe about, as a practicing physician, is that the MA schools are not teaching what I want, as a physician."

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

Thank you so much for your post....as an M.D., I also thank you for taking the time to let us know what you really need from an M.A. I, for one, want to be exactly what you stated, a "right hand man" in the office. When I did my externship in an internal medicine clinic, all sorts of things came up and I was able to assist in a variety of situations. They did everything, sutures, applying casts, discovering dangerous situations that needed immediate attention. It was great experience....and I feel that you must have a personal gift for sensing urgencies, and knowing what the Dr. may need as he or she treats each indivudual patient. It was also a great learning experience. Alas, I am still not employed as an MA and it still remains a dream. I thank you again and hope that by some stroke of luck I happen upon an interview with an M.D. like yourself.

Are You Working? no

Good afternoon Teach, My hat is off to you. I think you doing really great job with your students. It really takes a special person to even want to be a Medical Assistant and even more special person to want to teach Medical Assisting. I went to Eagle Gate College in Salt Lake City, Ut. It took me 17 months to get through my MA Diploma program. I have no regrets...and I learned alot by real professionals and who I have come to know as professionals and as my friend. I've seen in my time at school students come and go and I could tell who would make and who would not...I have always had this gift since I was a wee little lad. I've been a CNA for 14 yrs. now and I've been a CMA for almost 2 yr. I work for the government as a contractor for the USAF as a CMA in family medicine. Every week we have an education for 3hrs. We learn everything we learned in school and then some things we never learned in MA school and it makes us stronger Medical Assistants we are also known as 4N's...and we are part of the nursing team. We train to do IV's and we only can only get them started with NS and no drugs...only LPN's and RN's can do that and before we give an injection to anyonewe have to know what we are giving and the route its given, and its side effects and if don't feel comfortable giving it we don't have to. What I'm trying to say is we do keep on learning even after college...and thank you for all you do into making sure your students will be great MA's and your right it does take a special person to become a Medical Assistant.

God bless,
Matt Edler, NCMA

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NCMA, (NCCT), CNA

Are You Still In School? No.

Are You Working? Yes.

Hello my name is Wilma Broekmeulen from Belgium near the border of Netherland.(my English is not very well so sorry if i write not everything correct)
my dream is to have a externship for e few weeks in the USA for 2 reasons 1 to learn the English language better 2 to learn the dirfferent of working in the netherland versus USA as a medical assistant.I'm following class in the Netherland for medical assistant for 1 ,5 year I am going every 3 week 2 weeks 2 evenings and the thirth week 1 evening and 1 afternoon to school.in that time we also have an internship at a hospital or at a family doctor who has an medical assistant from 90 days in that 1, 5 year.
Hopefully you can help me wih my dream

regards WIlma
P.s.on this site you can fine something about my school
www.kellebeek.nl/mbo/brochures/AG.pdf
unfortunately this site is not in English

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Wilma Broekmeulen from Belgium

Are You Still In School? yess

Are You Working? no

I am a MA. I took Medical Assisting/Clinical. The class requirement was 500 hr. this included pharmacology and some terminology plus 8 weeks internship. This class cost me about $500.00 including books and uniforms. During internship we were allow to draw up medication but were not allowed to administer until after we graduated. Then during the summer I took a medical terminology. My teacher was and RN with teaching credentials.

I am 51 yrs old and recently graduated Medical Assisting/Clinical in the Los Angles area. I read you statement and I can honestly say that my instructor thinks the same way you do, as to what really needs to be taught to be a good back Medical Assistant. Included in the MA class were pharmacology and parenteral administration of medications this included some terminology plus 8 week extern at Kaiser Permante. I received a certificate in both. Then I took Medical Terminology this last summer and received a certificate in this also. I mainly just wanted to hello and to let you know that MY teacher, who I have so much respect for is apparently up on what most doctors want.

Hello it is me again. I have a couple questions for you, if you don't mind. (1) I was wondering if your practice is in California, if so, may I ask where is you practice located? (2) And by any chance are you looking for a new graduate MA? Just thought I would ask.

U need more than 6-8 wks of training . I work with alot of newbys and some i can't believe make such simply mistakes and I know what school they have gone to by the way they work NY

Your Professional Title/Credentials: ma new teacher

Are You Still In School? nope

Are You Working? yes

If Medical Assisting is ever going to be a respected profession, it has to have common educational standards, and a way of proving competency. There is no way on earth that a MA would be trained to cover all the things that we do in 6-8 weeks or through a correspondence-internet course. If we ever want to be able to be given more technical skills i.e. IV therapy etc., telling someone you went to school online 6-8 weeks (or that you never have gone to school) isn't going to make it happen and will ruin it for the students who spend 2 years working to earn a degree. How is a physician supposed to trust someone who has no education OR certification? Just by the way you look or act? Also, if you have never been formally trained or passed a certification exam, how can you expect to say "I deserve $15.00/hour" with no proof except your word or your past employer. This is the reason our wages stay low, because there are still so many untrained uncertified MA's out there competing for the same jobs as formally trained graduates.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Network Dean of Medical Assisting

Are You Working? yes

I believe the Doctor is correct about most of what was written except nurses do make great program chairs if they listen to what is being said i have taken a program from 169 students to well over 389 in one year so to make such a broad statement is ridiculous about nurses being program chairs.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: medical assisting program chair C.E.N R.N CMA/RMA

Are You Still In School? yes working on M.S in nursing

Are You Working? yes

I want your advice, I was working as a CNA for three years and always spend weekend working, but my kids want to spend weekend with me, and I would like to start working as a Medical Assistant I took the course in a Communitity Adult School in Baldwin Park, that was three years ago, but now I want to change, any advice?
Thanks Clary

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA and MA

Are You Working? No

I just signed up for an 18 month program, leading to an A.A.S. degree. I'm personally happy with my decision to go w/ the longer program, as they also offer a diploma/certificate option, which is 8 months (?). Because I start my program next month, I really don't have anymore information to contribte other than that.

Oh, my program is regionally (WASC) accredited and the college is non-profit. They also have articulation agreements with CSU. This all contributed to my decision to pick the longer program.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA Student

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? Not yet

My program is a 10 week accredited program. 12 hours a week in class, with a 4 week externship. I feel like I learned a lot. Plus I took the NHA (and passed!!!) which covers a lot more information than the test we had in class each week.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Working? Not in a Medical Office

I also agree with Licensing for Medical Assistants
It will give us more respect as a medical professional
I teach at Everest college and want great rewards for those students. our program is on Module basis
approx. 9 months in length with clinical externships
I myself, am a Male Medical Assistant Instructor and Love what I do. Many of our students have great success stories as an Instructor the only thing left
is Licensing for these folks.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA AHI Cpht CNT

Decided to not go forward with the program.

Are You Still In School? different program

Health Care Student

Hi Everyone,

I appreciate reading "Teaches" posts, and providing her insight since I am looking into an ROP MA program (Ca.) to start in the next six weeks. This will help me and my family tremendously. I need to work, have children, and I know how to make sure I get the medication labels straight. I understand Lori's concerns, and they are valid yet, RN's are sued, doctors are sued, and MA's need to be competent too. This comes with common sense, an ablility prior to walking into the classroom. I had to pass an exam prior to my registration date. EMT's have less training than MAs. I have an MBA, and taken my RN prerequisites yet, moving to California where the clinicals are at 6:00 AM, I can not do that with children who start school at 8:00 AM. MA is my plan B to actually work in my field, and thanks again Lori for your post, and helping me understand the benefits about the MA ROP program. Affordable, fast, and efficient (for those who work hard and want to pass the exams) :).

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Working on something

Are You Still In School? y

Are You Working? n

Re: Health Care Student

Hi Kat. I think we are taking the same ROP course together and Im very happy with what we have learned thus far.

I have a BSW and AA and really couldnt imagine taking a 1 or 2 year MA course for such little pay. Futhermore, I only want to work back office. Front office I have no interest.

For those of us that are already formally educated a ROP course is ideal.

We paid 40 for registration fee. You cant beat that.

And agree with one of the replies above; some are making Medical Assistants seem more than it really is.

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Re: Health Care Student

Hi sre, Good to hear you are taking ROP. I have started and absolutely love it. My teacher is awesome, nice, and smart. She is a nurse who also taught at a private college. Our classroom has all adults, who want to do well and work. Good Luck to you!!!!

Hmm, funny. You say to spell correctly, even in a forum yet you spelled the word tattoo incorrectly. I would never want to work for someone who could not accept me for me. I would never change who I am for a "job".

Your Professional Title/Credentials: P.M.A.C.

Are You Working? Yes- 4 years

Hello, could you by any chance suggest any places in the Antellope Vally area(Lancaster/Palmdale)where I can get my foot in the door as a MA? I graduated in July 2011 in IN. but had no such luck in CA.on finding a job at entry level.

Are You Still In School? NO

Are You Working? NO

I am a 52 year old male and I am thinking about going to start a program here in southern california that is an Adult Education School. The certificate will be in Adminstrative and Clinical Medical Assistant with Phlebothomy Technician 1. The program is 20 weeks plus externship for Adminstrative and Clinical Medical Assistant 4 weeks and phlebothomy technician 2 weeks. The total cost is $4,899 that also includes the NCCT certification testing, test prep and skills workshop. This is not a CAAHEP approved program.

I am currently on unemployment so at least I am getting paid while going back to school. And a program in Los Angeles call Work Source will pay for the program.

They have no job placement department

Are schools that are not accredited by the state of Caliornia still good to go to? There are for profit schools that are 8 months classroom and 1 month externship but are around $15,000. Will doctor's offices not hire you because you went to a shorter program but you are certified by NCCT?

Any thoughts

Are You Working? NO

I am a 52 year old male and I am thinking about going to start a program here in southern california that is an Adult Education School. The certificate will be in Adminstrative and Clinical Medical Assistant with Phlebothomy Technician 1. The program is 20 weeks plus externship for Adminstrative and Clinical Medical Assistant 4 weeks and phlebothomy technician 2 weeks. The total cost is $4,899 that also includes the NCCT certification testing, test prep and skills workshop. This is not a CAAHEP approved program.

I am currently on unemployment so at least I am getting paid while going back to school. And a program in Los Angeles call Work Source will pay for the program.

They have no job placement department

Are schools that are not accredited by the state of Caliornia still good to go to? There are for profit schools that are 8 months classroom and 1 month externship but are around $15,000. Will doctor's offices not hire you because you went to a shorter program but you are certified by NCCT?

Any thoughts

Your Professional Title/Credentials: future MA student

Are You Working? NO

1 2