This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
starting an internship

I will be starting my internship soon. I have been a patient at the office before and I know the physicians and staff very well. My question is do you think that I made the right choice by going to a office where I know the office staff? Also any tips on what to expect, I trained for front office only, but the one of the doctors asked if I would be interested in learning some back as well, Should I take this chance to learn back office as well? Thank you.

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Re: starting an internship

Yes and no. There are pros and cons to working for your own doctor. I wanted to do my externship at my doctor's because I knew she would be helpful but I have found out since then that she isn't always easy to work for,and will chew someone out if they screw up. Externships don't always go well and it would be embarrassing to go back to the office afterwards,especially if they have no intention of hiring(or you see that they did-and it wasn't you they called). On the other hand you are familiar with everyone and the setting so if you have thick skin then it might work out. I hope somebody replies as to how it was for them,the good and the bad.
And by all means,learn EVERYTHING a medical assistant can do in an office,for future references. I regret I didn't do more desk work,and now I feel like a dummy for not knowing how to do certain things.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? No