This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
just started school and have no clue!

Omg... I started school thursday and we had to do vitals on the students, ive never done anything like that and i dont know how to do anything ... I kinda know how to take the pulse and im learing about the resp... but the bp is so hard for me i lose the paulse everytime and i cant hear anything.. plz someone help me!!! my teacher is grading me on monday thanks

Your Professional Title/Credentials: student

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Re: just started school and have no clue!

Tasha,

Practice, practice, practice - do you have a cuff and a stethoscope at home? If so recuit everyone you know to let you practice. If you are having technical problems read over your chapters on how to take vitals. If you don't have a cuff at home I would get one, and with your stethoscope you might have to adjust the type of ear tips you use. For myself the hard bulb one block my ears and I can't hear, I use the soft mushroom looking ones. If your Steth didn't come with different ones you should be able to get them at a walgreens or a uniform shop. If you don't have a cuff and you can't afford to get one before monday you may be able to go to your local fire house (if you live in an area where they aren't alway out on a call) and ask the "guys" there if you could use their cuffs and check all their vitals. Just explain your situation and I am sure the EMT's would help you. If you don't feel comfortable with doing that, go to class extra early and ask your teacher - or any other teacher or student in the building if you can practice on them.

Hope that helps,
Chil

Your Professional Title/Credentials: M.A

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Tasha,

How did it go today?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: M.A., EMT-P, MSNE,

Are You Working? yes

Chil, Class is going fine i really enjoy it.. its getting better, still have a little trouble doing the bp but im learning. and yeah i do have a steth and a bp kit at home sooo im practing on everyone i know! well thanks.. bye

Your Professional Title/Credentials: ma

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Yeah, keep up the good work.

BP isn't as easy as people make it look. It was one of the hardest skills to learn for me - and on days when my head is stuffed up I have trouble. I remember that when I was in school I was always nervous that people would think that I was to slow in how I release the air or that patients would freak out if I checked it twice when I room them, but they don't - I just deflate the cuff and let the pt know, hey my ears are plugged up I going to check this again. If I am really unsure of what I am hearing, I let the Dr. know. Some times the Doc will in bring you in an show you why a bp is diferent - maybe a anatomy abnormality that is rare or something. It very cool and you get kudo for "picking it up"

Chil

Your Professional Title/Credentials: M.A., EMT-P, MSNE,

Are You Working? yes