This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
is age a issue??

How old were you when you started working as a MA? I will be finished with school in December and I am 19, I am the youngest person in my classes, what is the age most people enter the field?

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Re: is age a issue??

Hi!

The vast number of today's medical assistant students are older. From the employer's view, however, the young energetic medical assistant right after high school is just as valuable as the mature experienced professional.

I just wrote a brief article titled "What About Age" on the Medical Assistant Site. This is a brand new site just published for medical assistants.

Here is the URL so you can check it out.
The age article is at http://www.medicalassistantsite.com/perfect_for_all.htm

It makes for good reading.

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Site Admin

I graduated and strated working when I was 20. I took a year off after high school. Now I am a student again and will graduate when I am 35. Age isn;t much of a factor anymore IMHO.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/ CNA/ SN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

jumping the gun!

I am 19 years old and i am going to school to be a medical assistant. I really want to get this show on the road. I want to go out there and start working or do something with my fild but i am affried to because of my age. What is everybody opion. GO for it or wait.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: medical assistant ( going to school)

Are You Still In School? going to school

Are You Working? yes a manget at atlanta bread

I turned 37 this past summer and am getting ready to enroll in a private college to pursue an Associate Degree in Medical Assisting.

I feel that I'm ready for this. I've had 3 children, went thru some life experiences, am more mature (and, hopefully, more teachable! LOL) now, whereas I didn't apply myself very well when I was in business college nearly 20 years ago. I have a diploma in an executive secretarial program, but my passion lies in healthcare, and I don't think that's going to change at this point in my life.

That, and I consider myself to be a "professional patient." I think that's the catalyst in this whole thing...LOL

Hoosier

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Future MA Student

Are You Still In School? Anticipating Starting in 10/06

Are You Working? No

I might get some flak for this but here goes-Is age an issue? Not for the young ones. I am surprised that anyone under 25 is wondering this. I go to a lot of offices and one thing I have noticed is that the majority (and sometimes all) of the MAs are very young. The older workers are usually nurses. By "young" I mean under 30 or 35. I think employers are more willing to take a chance on a young,"energetic",inexperienced MA than one in her late 40s who doesn't have any experience either. Of course if they do it's a different story but I am talking about the recent graduates who are over 40 and seem to have a lot of trouble finding a job. They hear about their much younger classmates finding something and what are they to think? Sometimes I wonder if employers actually think that patients would rather see a young,attractive girl than an older woman.

Are You Working? Yes

How about a patient seeing a "old" handsome male M.A.---Grandpa image.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA Student

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Hey don't worry about age...

i am 18 in school for medical assisting...with a 1 year old...and i graduate in april when i am 19...i worried about the same thing...there is another student my age and every one else is either in their 20's or 30's...everyone has the same goal in mind...to be a medical assistant

the jobs don't care for your age long as u can get the job done and that u are certified, your skills will overshadow your age...think of it like that!

u will work with people of different ages and patients will be of different ages...

-Shenicka
MA Student

Your Professional Title/Credentials: SMA

Are You Still In School? Yes, medical assisting

Are You Working? no

Shenicka,
how wisely spoken for such a young girl.

Just kidding!!!!

Truth is, I am very impressed and agree with you 100 per cent. It goes to show that age does not matter. What matters is maturity.

I happen to know young women who are extremely mature at 19 and older women who at 47 still don't know what they want to be when they grow up. How ever, each of them have some very interesting traits and thoughts and are a pleasure to be around.

It all depends. Keep up the good work.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

I was 21 when I graduated and there was one younger person in my class and every one else was in their 40s

Did you keep in contact with all your classmates to be able to say that all the older ones found jobs?

I'm 43 and was the oldest female in my class. I wanted a change careers because I have been doing what I was doing for 20ish years and had no fear for a change. I knew I would be taking a drastic pay cut by switching careers and I am using my MA knowledge and experience as a stepping stone. Age is not a factor - unless you make it to be.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Secretary/MA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes