This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
getting back into the field

In 1990, i was 18 and graduated med asst school. 1 yr later, i became drug addicted (street drugs). . Its now 2006, (16 yrs later) and i finally cleaned up. Now i want to continue my earned MA degree. One problem, i defaulted on my student loan, and now i cannot apply for ANY loan, believe me, ive called all fed. gov, nsld, anyone connected with my fed. loan, and the earliest is 9 months from now. I fear that with all these dead ends, i might become weak, and dull the pain with more drugs. My brainstorming has produced an idea that maybe one of you can help me with....I remember alot of the training, especially the IV part (bad joke, but true) and i think that if i had some kind of course outline, i could study it at my pace, in between work and home. Im looking for training videos. That way i can rewind/ff and carefully refresh my skills. Is there anything like that out there? I have 16.00 in my checking, and no boyfriend, (by choice) and im 34yrs old with no life, but only a dream of being somebody. No-one around me has any ideas, and ive dead-ended with the internet. Please, anyone, please help me get back to having a life, i dont want to die knowing i failed. I am a bright girl, with love for myself, and some drama baggage that with the right help, can disappear.

thankyou for your time..... christina

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no

Re: getting back into the field

You can go to your local Workforce Development Center and try applying there for aid. I qualified for an " adult workers program" that pays $3000 a year tuition& books, and $1,000 a year for child care and/or mileage.
Check out some of the other links on this site. I beleive there are refresher courses you can take and then re-test your certifictaion. kudos to you for getting back on track. Go for it!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/ CNA/ SN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Hi Christina,

I know this is not the place, but my heart couldn't help going out to you. Sounds like you've had a tough life. I don't really have any career advice for you, but I can tell you that are are "somebody" in God's eyes. If no one else on the planet believes in you, He does. Jesus Christ died for you so that you could have an abundant life. Not a life without problems, but a life filled with joy and peace and strength for each new day. I'll be praying for you today Christina.

God bless you,
Ellen

Your Professional Title/Credentials: med trans.

Are You Working? yes

Christina,

I sensed from your reply that you are feeling overwhelmed and hopeless. And that you cannot see a way out of it, and you have considered resorting back to using chemicals to numb the dissappointment. please do not do that. you are stronger then that and you know that path is a dead end..which is not where you want to be..keep your eyes on the prize.

Christina, there are always options and choices to make.. The first thing I would do to feel empowered, is to realize I have control over what is happening in my life and that this is a minor setback, which will be overcome.

here are some words of wisdom I was told at my practical nurse graduation
'A GOAL WITHOUT A PLAN IS JUST A DREAM'
If you want it bad enough, you will do whatever it takes it make it happen...this is the difference between a dreamer and a person of action. Remeber you are your own advocate!! You must decide what you want and how to get there, no one else can do that for you.

I believe that getting out a sheet of paper and start writing down what you want to accomplish. This serves 2 purposes, first it allows you to 'see' with your eyes that there are options and two, it is a reminder that you have made some decisions about your life...when ever you feel overwhelmed and that you are giving up on your dream, just go back and read what you wrote down in your own hand writing about the decisions you made to change your life ....

If I was in your situation, I would write down what I want to accomplish and how I am going to make it happen...it is very empowering...The list below is what I would do if I were in your situation.

Goal:
1.Finish getting degree
2.pay off student loan

Plan to accomplish goal:
1. contact loan company regarding options to pay loan at lower payment
2. get second job and save money for school, consider moving somewhere cheaper or getting a roommate to help with bills.
3. research work study programs at local community colleges, vocational rehab, etc
4.find a job that offers tuition reimbursement

Since you stated you already graduated the program, why not start working and take classes on the weekends or at night. remember a degree is not required for a ma to work. I know you can do it...it may take a longer way to get there, but being realistic and accepting what you have to in order to accomplish your goals should help you realize that your goals are attainable..

Also, you did not state if you have worked as an ma since graduating many years ago..some advice.if you have not worked in many years, I would sugust you volunteer to work at a local family practice office to get some experience...after you have worked there for a while you would then have some 'recent' experience that employeers are looking for and then start putting those resumes out there...

"remember a journery begins with a single step"

best of luck,

l.lopez lpn

Your Professional Title/Credentials: lpn

Are You Working? yes

Wow!! i want to say thankyou to: tracy, flower and lori. Halfway between each messege i found tears of joy flooding my blouse. It's been a long time that words like that were spoken to me. My parents are gone, and i have no kin. You all really gave me something ive yearned for a long time, and that is encouragement. Thankyou!!!!!!!!!!!! each one of you offered methods i hadnt heard of. and one of you gave me back a friend from above..i often forget he's there. before i start crying again, thankyou. and i will keep you posted as to what happens!!!! thankyu thankyu thankyu

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Working? no

Christina,

What a hard time you have been though.

One place you may be able to get a Medical Assisting Text book is a second hand book store (We have one in AZ called bookman's, just check your yellow pages for - bookstore, used in your area) or even goodwill store. I have been shocked how many times I have seen MA books a thrift store they are usually only 3 or 4 dollars. Also try your local library (the library card usually free) look for MA resources, look at nursing, and paramedic resources also, they can be very helpful they may not have the training videos at your library but they might at others in the area and you could request them to be sent over, some times you can even get books from the university libraries. You could also check in to working at a blood lab or a plasma lab as a screener – if they know you have an MA and they see your skills they could move you to a phlebotomist, and from there you could apply at a local draw station (like labcorp or Sonora) as a phlebotomist. There you could get some experience behind you, be a float that goes to different offices, show off your skills at the different offices and they could offer you a job. I know that I have had several phleb’s come over that I would have considered working in our office. The skye's the limit.

Just some idea’s – keep up the hard work – you’re doing well.

Chil

Your Professional Title/Credentials: M.A., EMT-P, MSNE,

Are You Working? yes