This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New to Site

Hello, everyone!

I am a newbie who has a passion for medicine/healthcare and feel very strongly that pursuing a career as a medical assistant is really what I want to do.

I am presently trying to become enrolled in a private college in a nearby metropolitan city, and the cost of the course (2-yr. Associate Degree) is $189 a credit hour, totaling 96 credit hours. I am hoping, because of our present unemployment situation, that I'll qualify for financial aid (total financial aid in the respect that it'll be paid for). However, if I don't qualify for the Pell grants, etc., then I am open to pursuing a community college that is half the cost.

The main feature of the private college is that they offer one course at a time, while the other [local] colleges do not offer this. They tout 75% or better job placement services, as well.

Most people that I've talked to believe that I'll receive a "better" education by going to a private college versus a community college. However, a former RN who is now teaching students to become RNs believes otherwise.

Any thoughts on this? BTW, the community college course in medical assisting would cost (regardless if the student has to fork over much from their own pocket) around $9,000, which I've been seeing is still considered expensive.

Another question: I would much rather want to be a registered versus just a certified medical assistant. Can anyone elaborate on this topic?

Hoosier

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Future MA Student

Are You Still In School? Anticipating Starting in 10/06

Are You Working? No

Re: New to Site

As long as the community college is accredited, I believe you would get a great education. They have to have a sucess rate for passing certification or their accreditation would get revoked.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/ CNA/ SN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Thanks for the reply.

It looks like I'm going to have to scrap the city college(s), as they are too expensive, and what Pell grants I could get won't cover all of it (making me not have to pay for the course itself).

The community college will have more classes stacked together at once, but I can't do much about it. We're having some issues right now in the family that are preventing me from jumping right in. If I go to the community college, I'll have to wait until after January 8, as the fall semester already started. I'm contemplating talking to some temporary employment agencies to work some temp jobs in the meantime in order to make some extra $$ and to take up some of the [waiting for college] time.

Thanks again for your reply.

I am fairly sure that the community college is accredited.

Hoosier

P.S. The college course that I was wanting to get involved with totals $18,144.00, possibly not including books. Would you say that this is way too much $$, regardless of any Pell grants, etc. received??!!

Are You Working? No

I would say so! I am in a RN program at a community college and it is about $1500 a semester. I would definately talk wuith a counselor now if you want to start in the spring semester. You may be able to test out of some math or English equivalencies, or you may be required to take a COMPASS or ASSET test prior to application. Good luck!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/ CNA/ SN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Tracy,

Thanks for the reply.

Tomorrow, I have an appt. w/the Institute of Medical and Dental Technology school in a nearby metropolitan city, but I am not comitting myself to this, as I feel that I'm "lowering my standards." The course is around $7,000, lasts 6 months, and one only takes home a certificate instead of a degree. A degree is really what I want to obtain.

I would like to get some more feedback regarding certificate vs. degree programs and if it's definitely better for a prospective student to go for that degree and skip the certificate-only programs.

Thanks!

Hoosier

Are You Working? No

Hi,
It sounds as if you need to speak with a college counsler (maybe more than one if necessary). In the end a college degree will get you a better paying job in the health field. A Medical Assistant does not recieve the training a registered nurse recieves. Also reistered nurses may hold a diploma (mostly older nurses, these programs are harder to find today) or a variety of college degrees (AA, BSN, MS) to name a few. If you really enjoy medicine stick to your guns and become a registered nurse. You will make more money and have far more options. If money is a problem talk to the financial aid department of your local community college. You may be able to get all or the biggest part of you expenses paid. There are nursing scholorships available once you enter the actual nursing program that will also absorb alot of cost. I went to college with 4 small children and no spousal support. I took me twice the time but in the end I had something to show for it and my children wre prouder than anyone. I encourage you to go for it!!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN,BSN

Are You Still In School? NO

Are You Working? YES

RNIAM,

Thanks for the added reply!

Yep, it would seem to the casual web observer that I seem a little confused as to what EXACT direction that I want my career path to take!

I visited a technical school two days ago that only offers a certification in medical assisting, not an actual degree, and then I re-visited the private college (Brown Mackie). I can receive Pell grant help to a point, but it won't cover everything. I'd still incur student loans if I use them.

To sum this up, I'm not 100% sure where my career path is headed, only that I'm still "in negotiations" with myself. LOL I am visiting an admissions rep @ Ivy Tech State College in Indiana this next Monday. I might have a better chance at getting more paid financial aid if I go with them. Their next semester starts January 8, 2007.

I'm not totally closed to the idea of going for an RN. I think what I need is a career coach (ya think?!)

My kids went to the dentist yesterday, and my daughter, age 8, has what's known as a Class C [under]bite, and the pediatric dentist that she sees wants to put braces on at this time. However, my spouse isn't finished with his truck driver training school class yet and doesn't know where he's going to end up as far as securing employment goes. We really have to rely on our faith to get through all of these trials and tribulations.

I'm seriously considering seeking employment as a CNA at a local nursing home where my husband's neice just started working. Her certification was still good, so she didn't have to take classes again. The pay is better than the local nursing home. I think this might be something that could be beneficial as gaining experience in a medical setting is concerned.

Sometimes we have to take a different path to get to where we want to go. Maybe it keeps life interesting; I don't know...

I'll keep everyone posted on how it's going. My husband's neice is going to get some info. for me regarding the LTC facility where she's working at. I don't know how often they offer their CNA classes.

Hoosier

Are You Working? No