This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Worried I'm in over my head!

I will be starting my very 1st job this coming Monday & I am PETRIFIED!!! I did very well in school...graduated with a 3.92 GPA & made a 97% on my recent RMA exam. However I don't have any "real"world experience to speak of other than my 160 Hr. externship. My extern experience was not the best (although the Dr. offered me a job...you'd understand why I didn't take it if you met him). I feel like I was a total spaz! All I did constantly was ask queustions!
Ok now for the job I'm supposed to start Monday... I will be doing a job that they've always hired an LPN to do! I will be working for two doctors...doing things I have never done. I tryed to be forthcoming in the interview process & let them know up front that although I was very capable of learning, I had never done the things the job entails. Every time I think about it I feel like I'm going to have an anxiety attack! Any words of advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Sheila, RMA

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? Just hired

Re: Worried I'm in over my head!

Aww don't worry! You should have an orientation period where they will go through everything with you. They shouldn't throw you in blind. Just think of all the experience you will get. Congrats to you! :)

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/ CNA/ SN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Re: Worried I'm in over my head!

Shelia,
Hope your first few day went well, I just wanted to add some words of encouragement. This is what I was told the first Dr. that hired me out of M.A. school (and felt very much as you describe), "I don't want someone who can already do everything, I want someone I can train to do things the way I like it". In other words you don't have any bad habits yet, but you have shown the potentional to learn.

Relax, and enjoy - and don't be really hard on yourself, learn from your mistakes and move on.

Best of Luck,
Chil

Your Professional Title/Credentials: M.A., EMT-P, MSNE

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes