This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CNA vs RMA

Just wondering what the major differances are like pay what each can do and move on in doing. Im from ohio if anyone else is i hear the pay for cna is like 12 hr and RMA is like 15hr starting just wondering if anyone can confirm this. Thank you and GREAT FORUM !

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA student

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Re: CNA vs RMA

Do you mean CMA or CNA? CNA can only do basic ADL cares for patients and limited vitals- mostly in hospitals or nursing homes. RMA/CMA can assist with sterile procedures, give injections, administer some meds, do patient check in, run various lab tests, venipuncture, call in prescriptions etc in the clinic setting. Hope that helps!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/ CNA/ SN

Are You Working? yes

CNA

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA student

Are You Working? no

CNA is a cenrtified nurses assistant that cares for the elderly either in there homes or in a retirement or assisted living enviroment. I have been both and started out at minimum wage as a CNA and after five years was making 9.00/hr. Where as a MA or CMA I started out at 11.00/hr. and I am a lot busier than I was as a CNA. My primary job as a CNA was to remind pt. to take their medications, take client to the grocery store, assist in bathing, and housework that they could not do, as well as companionship. As an MA there is little time to sit. If you are unsure look on line and find out the duties of a medical assistant and a nurses assistant.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant w/ Associates degree

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Actually, CNA is a federal requirement to work in LTC facilities.

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/14mar20010800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2002/octqtr/42cfr483.154.htm

Aides who work in peoples homes as home health aides or assisted living/personal care homes do not need to meet this standard as it is a standard that was put in place specifically for nursing homes. Home health aids typically work in peoples homes assisting with ADL's, running errands etc. The pay is usually less than a CNA working in a long term care facility because no certification is required by law. There are HHA's (home health aides), CNA's (certified nurses aides in the nursing homes), NA's (non-certified nurse aides than can be in hospitals, assisted living facilities, personal care homes). Some states have different levels of CNA's and hire them in hospitals but the certification was originally created to ensure quality care in nursing homes and you MUST have CNA certification to work in one.

I made more money as a CNA working in a nursing home than I make now as a CMA. Like Tracy said, CNA's typically assist with ADL's (Activities of daily living). It is grueling work.

Lorraine
CNA, CMA

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

RMA

My name is Stacy and I in school at this time and I'm looking for a job in the medical field. if anyone has any good leads please feel free to call me or text me or you can just email me. (please business only) I'm looking for a job as a nursing assistant or a Medical assistant.

Thank you
Stacy B.
(678)437-8329 (also text)
Staboi@hotmail.com

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Working? no

Re: Re: CNA vs RMA

hi i have been a cna for a long time and have found that you can make more money as a cna ma's start out at next to nothing i've been made $15.00/hr as an aide

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA

Are You Working? yes

It really depends on where you live and what place the Job is at. I was talking to a CNA and she was working at a convalescent home and she was making 11/hr and I was only making 8.50/hr at the time...then there is an assisted living facility that we got a tour of for my RN program and they pay their CNAs minimum wage!

CNAs do basic patient care. They give baths, toileting, ect. They can do all vital signs and report them to the nurse. They can not pass any meds, give shots or draw blood. An MA CAN give shots, and draw blood. MAs in my area are only in Dr offices while CNAs are only in convalescent hospitals and nursing homes (not really in the hospitals anymore--just one for an ENTIRE floor).

If you are plan on going on to nursing I would say go the CNA route, you will get more experience directed toward what you will need as a LVN or RN...but if you do not plan to move up I would say go the MA route...no but wiping, no bed baths, no feeding patients ect.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C

Are You Still In School? Nursing School

Are You Working? Doing free doula service