This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Iv's ???

I am currently working in NJ and was asked if medical assistant's are allowed to start Iv's and i actually had no idea! I was in school for a "multi-skilled technicin" basicaly a glorified word for a MA just more detail was done on EKG...lol anyway i know i can take blood and inject,. I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible for a course on Iv's? Or do you have to be a RN? I would only be starting the IV for migrain meds...BUT the doc is gonna administer the meds. Also what is the difference between a medical assistant and an advanced medical assistant?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Multiskilled Technician

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Re: Iv's ???

Danielle-
Yes, you can be IV certified now. I work for a school and my instructors and I are in the process of becoming certified through the NHA(National Health Career Association)Their website is nhanow.com

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Program Manager/CHI;CCMA;CET;CPT

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Re: Iv's ???

I think it depends on the area, and your employer. Due to the fact that you are certified and not liscenced, it is really up to the discretion of your employer. Here in Wisconsin, LPN's aren't even taught to start IV's with their liscence. They can maintain them, hang a piggyback etc.. but not start them or push IV meds. It's a fine line I think.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/ CNA/ SN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes