This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Medical Assistant Training Outlook

Hello: I am conducting some research and would like to solicit opinions on how you think medical assistant training programs are going to need to change say over the next 10 years. Thanks

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Re: Medical Assistant Training Outlook

Jeff,
that's an interesting thought. Left me kind of stumped for a second. But I do have one answer I can add:

Medical research is advancing at a rate unlike ever seen before, along with medical techniques. Therefore, over the next year as new techniques, new approaches, and new treatment methods are discovered, these would have to be included in the medical office -- therefore part of the changes you will see for medical assistants.

This may include new bandaging materials, new medications, new sterilization and infection controls, new medical terminology.

The medical assisting classroom, at least part of it may shift more than ever to virtual distance education.

Cost of tuition and books is likely to go up.

And IV lines and phlebotomy will be included more than ever.

Medical assistants will be required to own their own stethoscopes, blood pressure cuff, and pen light as businesses (schools) will continue to cut cost.

Certification, or licensure might become mandatory.

------------------------------------

Ouch. My brain hurts now. Let's see if others have more (and better) feedback and ideas what differences we will see to better the medical assistant's education over the next 10 years...

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Site Owner/Admin

I would like to see more colleges recognize this field. I would like to see entrance exams being taken by all schools. I would like the competetion by the admissions people at post secondary schools stop harrassing especially the young 20's year olds into joing the school. I would like to see more nurses at the school teach considering if one wants to work at a hospital more than likely you would fall under the supervision of a nurse. I would like to see the studies of the MA program drop some of the ridiculous classes (typing for advanced students & classes on file cabinets).

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Secretary/MA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

I got my stethoscope from www.stethoscopes-for-sale.com
They have some pretty good discounts there

You make a great point freckles

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA-CMA-EMT

Hi Jeff, I agree with you there needs to be changes made in order to keep up with ever changing times. When I was a student in Medical Assistant I made it point to reach out and help my classmates out that were having trouble with the subject at hand until they would have a complete understanding of whatever it maybe. I believe we should look out for our fellow classmates and we should step up and help each other. It should be students responsibility to keep up with new techniques and treatments out there. As far buying our own equipment that has always been a must no matter where you go to school or work. Take care...

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NCMA, (NCCT), AAS

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes