This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Advice

I graduated from school in september and I had my first job and quit already. I am thinking I made a mistake becoming a Medical Assistant. I just feel like either I'm not qualified enough or the office expects me to be a nurse. I am very discouraged and am not sure if I want to futher my career as an MA. Has anyone else felt this way?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? No

Re: Advice

I am surprised no one has commented on this. EVERYONE thinks in their first week of clinicals "Do I really want to do this kind of work?" if they are feeling overwhelmed. You obviously had a position where you were having too much thrown your way. What kind of office was it? I hope you were there long enough that quitting doesn't look too bad on your resume. I would say to keep looking for a more quiet office. Don't let all that training go to waste. You proved that you were one of the lucky ones who found a job quickly (I am assuming) after graduation.

Of course I have felt this way. It takes discussing how you feel with others and seeking advise and how to's from others who have more expeience than you. I also does not hurt to ask for feedback from others about you. Be prepared and open minded to hear what others are saying. Be prepared that some may say some stupid stuff. If it's not for you is there a part of what you were trained that you really like/love if so research it and find out you could turn it into a living.
Good luck.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Secretary/MA

Are You Working? Yes

I have been a medical assisting instructor for over 10 years. It is quite common for new grads to be overwhelmed at first. It takes a while to put those learned skills into practice. Do you complete an internship, and if so, how did it go?

Maybe the job you took is a little too much for you right now. Look for a job that is less demanding. I worked for an orthopedist for several months and about all the MAs did there was to room, CC, take vitals (and this not very often in an ortho) practice. About the most technical thing I did there was remove sutures and staples. This particular office had 3 certified Orthopedic Physicians Assistants and they did all the "technical" stuff.

But I often did assist them in the "treatment" room, applying and removing casts and even learned a little X-ray, which will any MA go much farther (X-ray experience that is).

On the other hand, I worked for some time at a family practice. Very fast paced, performed phleb, X-ray, CLIA waived tests.Lots of stuff. The ortho job would have been perfect for a new MA, whereas the family practice would have been a little more difficult.

Hang in there!!! Don't give up yet. Try another office with less responsibility. Or did your previous office fail to provide you with enough entry-level coaching to help you get started?? This could also have been the problem.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BSE; RMA(AMT)

Are You Still In School? no

Nicole,

Can you be more specific?

Lorraine

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Working? yes

Thanks for the advice, I do believe the job was way to overwhelming at first. I took a slower paced job and am excited about it and feel much more comfortable. Thanks for the words of encouragment I really needed it!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Working? No

Hey, I knew you could do it!!! I've seen this happens a lot.

What type of duties do you do on a daily basis?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BSE; RMA(AMT)