This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Becoming a medical coder?

Hi everyone

I see in georgia there are lots of jobs for medical coders in hospitals and medical billers in physician offices. I think i will go in the medical coder path, they get paid more than a MA. My question is this, in my program we learn billing and coding in one module. Would I have to go back to school for medical coding or could i just take the certification test since I already am learning a&p, med terms and coding procedures? My teacher said i could just take the test but i want to make sure so if i need to go back to school and can look now before i finish my program in april.

does anyone know?

thanks

shenicka
MA student

Your Professional Title/Credentials: SMA

Are You Still In School? Yes, medical assisting

Are You Working? no

Re: Becoming a medical coder?

Hi,

I have been a Medical Assistant for 15 years and want to start my own business in Medical Billing. I am currently in school for Medical Billing and Coding and I am glad I am. It takes you through a more detailed look at billing and would advise you to check into schools in your area and see the courses they offer with medical billing. I am learning extensive office procedures and I really don't remember MA school going over the Insurance Claims and back tracking claims and reconciliation of claims so be careful and choose wisely.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Re: Becoming a medical coder?

right now we are learning to do claims for medicaid, medicare, and blue cross blue shield and how to to do diagnostic and procedural coding, but you're right, I think i will just go back to school for because I want to know what I will need to know for certification because my program only teaches the basics of billing/coding.

thanks so much
i am looking to go back to school in june and i finish my program in april!