This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What is it REALLY like being an MA?

Hi!
I am thinking about going to school to become an MA at GIBBS college or Everest college are they good? I want to know what it is really like to be an MA. Will I make enough money to surrive? What is your day like?Is it a stressful job? I am researching on the internet but I want to hear from real MA.
thanxs

Re: What is it REALLY like being an MA?

I work nights ans weekends at an urgent care clinic. I room the patients, assist with procedures, run labs, take limited xrays, fill precriptions, take calls, discharge patients etc. It is a very fulfilling job and I love it. I make over $15 an hour so if I worked full time I could support my family. It's a great carreer to get in to :)

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/ CNA/ SN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

The pay really depends on where you live and the cost of living there. MA's do NOT make anywhere near $15.00 an hour here in PA, sure wish we did! Starting wage here is around $9.00 an hour.

I work in a very busy family practice. It's a very hectic pace. I do blood draws, give injections, room patients, review med lists, take sick calls, do urine dips, hemoccults, call in scripts, plus all the front office stuff I didn't mention.

It's crazy hectic but I love it.

Lorraine

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Starting pay here is around $11.50. I should have mentioned that

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/CNA/SN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

I don't know anything about Gibbs or Everest College.
Try to find a college that is CAAHEP or ABHES certified. If you attend one of these schools you will be eligible to set for the following exams:
1. Certified Medical Assistant (American Association of Medical Assistants)
2. Registered Medical Assistant (American Medical Technologists.

Does your state have "career tech" or "vocational" centers? If they do, a Med Asst program may be available at a MUCH lower cost than a "private" school.

I live in the Oklahoma City area and entry level salaries around here really vary - from $8.00/hr to around $10.00/hour.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BSE; RMA(AMT)

Are You Still In School? no