This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
End of externship

My externship will be ending the end of November! I really want to stay with the practice I am doing the externship with. Any suggestions how how to bring this up? I am nervous that there won't be an opening and I will have to go somewhere else and I won't love it as much as I do now. Where I am doing my externship I haven't learned everything I would like to but I think with time the chance would come around. Even though I haven't had the chance to learn insurance and all of that into detail I have had so many more chances that I don't think I would have got somewhere else. Any ideas on how to ask about being a part of the team in a few weeks?? Thanks in Advance!

Re: End of externship

Make it clear how much you enjoy being there and that you would be willing to stay on as a volunteer (meaning,unpaid) in order to keep learning everything. If you can get the chance to be able to list a wide variety of skills on your resume,then it will look so much more appealing in the future for another office. You gotta remember that in some areas,it isn't that easy finding something you like,or even something.
Please let us know their answer. Everywhere I read,I see that volunteering is the way to go and I have been curious as to what would be a good reason as to WHY a new MA would be turned down for that.

Re: End of externship

Thank you for your advice!

I was talking to my direct supervisor this afternoon and told her that I didn't want to leave I love it there and she said I don't want you to leave either, I need to sit down with the administrator and doctor and see how it goes...Fingers crossed it works out for me but if not I am so thankful for the chance to work there for the last 3 months.