This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BECOMING A MA

I NEED SOME ADVICE ON BECOMING AN MA. I'VE BEEN A CNA FOR ABOUT 4 YRS NOW AND WOULD LOVE TO WORK IN AN OFFICE SETTING AS A MA.I'VE FOUND A SCHOOL ON LINE THAT SAYS I CAN BECOME A MA IN 4-6 WEEKS BUT I'M A LITTLE SKEPTICAL.HOW LONG SHOULD A GOOD PROGRAM TAKE AND WHAT IS THE SHORTEST LENGHT FOR A PROGRAM? I WOULD LOVE TO BECOME CERTIFIED BUT I CAN NOT DO A 2YR PROGRAM RIGHT NOW. PLEASE HELP!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA

Are You Still In School? NO

Are You Working? YES

Re: BECOMING A MA

The on line "training" is bunk. How do they expect you to PRACTICE blood drawing and giving injections? And do they expect you to be on the computer for 20 hours a day for 4-6 weeks to learn all there is to know? Expect a good program to last at least 6-9 months. You don't have to go for 2 years to become certified. Just find an accredited school,and good luck.

Re: BECOMING A MA

Hi,

This is a very important decision for you and asking for advise here is a great start. Although there are many options out there today, I will like to share my exp. with you and what I found most helpful going to a school and maybe this will help you with your decision.

The classrooms were small (a great size for individual help if anyone needed) With each subject were had - we also had labs to do (This was a hands on school. You read about it - then performed the duties in your lab) This was the perfect. There is no other exp than this. For example: Blood Pressures: You were required to do 50 BP's a Mod (4 weeks) At first I found myself fumbling with the cuff/ needed to do it two times to make sure I was right. By the end of the Mod - I was taking my 50 BP's before the Mod was over. We also did, EKG's (6 of these were required. Blood Draw -(10 of these) IMM - (5 of each) We did lab testing UA/Wet Prep's, finger sticks, again 4 of each were required each Mod. Final Examination was 50% written and 50% clinical. You took your instructor and perform all the testing on them and your final clinical grade was given. This was the best decision for me. I wanted to start a new career right away and this training gave me all the skills I needed to apply for a MA position to clinics and hospital. It has been 15 years now, I am a MA and I am still learning ( I seek out training, never turn down any training you may come accross in your career, you should welecome these new skills arms wide open)

I hope this helps alittle.

Any other questions I will be glad to answer for you.
Let me know what you decide.
Good Luck
MA415yrs

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes