This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
No pay in exchange for work

Hi.
I am currently a biology major in college and plan on applying to med school in a few years. Part of the pre application process is volunteering, medical related work, research, shadowing, etc. A few pre med students have mentioned to me that some places will hire inexperienced medical assistants(i.e-no training) to work and they basically just agree to no pay and on the job training, working under the doctor's liscense.

Have any of you ever heard of this? It's something I think I would definately be interested in but I don't want to get my hopes up if it something that probably won't happen.

Any input is highly appreciated.
Thanks!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Biology Major

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Re: No pay in exchange for work

I would like some info on this as well. I'm not pre-med- I'm an Education major, but I do volunteer during summers and would enjoy this as an alternative without having to take additional classes to get certified.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Student

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Re: No pay in exchange for work

That used to be the case, but I think most places now require certification. All I can suggest is to ask around where you live. Good luck!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/CNA/SN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes