This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MA's needed in nursing homes?

Is there a great need for MAs to work in nursing homes? I have a deep compassion for the elderly, always have. In fact, one of the reasons I thought about doing LPN is that most LPNs work there. However, the LPN program seems so tough, so I was wondering if LTC is an option for MAs. What do you think? TIA.
Ellen

Your Professional Title/Credentials: med transcriptionist

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yea

Re: MA's needed in nursing homes?

Well I don't know about now, but in my program we weren't taught how to perform ADL's. CNA training teaches oral care, ROM excercises etc.. Not saying you can't be taught on the job, but I am not aware of MA's in my area working in LTC. I bet you could work as a medication aide though.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/CNA/SN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

This is a good question. I have NEVER seen an ad offering an opening in a nursing home for a certified MA. Same goes for home health care,they only list STNAs(and sometimes not even that but a "Will train" thing),the ads never say that an MA can apply also. I would imagine that an MA would be ideal for something like that. Maybe if they could start including them then so many MAs wouldn't be unemployed.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Hardly

There are plenty of other options for MAs. Look into practices that specialize in geriatrics if that is the route you want to go.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: working on it

Are You Working? no

Depends on if you specifically want to work in a "nursing home" or something like a personal care home. They're two entirely different things. Federal law mandates that you must be state certified as a nurses aide to work in a nursing home or LTC facility.

http://nursinghomeaction.org/govpolicy/51_162_468.cfm

You can of course work in a personal care home or assisted living facility but it wouldn't be with an MA title. It would just be as an aide which doesn't require formal training and it would just be assisting with ADL's.

Lorraine
CMA

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

To Ann: Why do you say that so many MAs are unemployed????

Where do you live? In Oklahoma there are lots of jobs for MAs, but like another individual posted - to work in a nursing home you must be long-term care (LTC) certified.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: B.S.E., RMA, AHI

Are You Working? yes

Hi. I am both a medical assistant and a nursing assistant. MAs aren't needed in nursing homes and don't have the state required certification/training that is necessary to work in nursing homes. There are plenty of medical practices that have a large elderly patient population. I love working with seniors, too!
mj

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant / Certified Nursing Assistant / Certified Home Health Aide

Are You Working? yes

I guess I didn't make my earlier point clear. To be honest,I am not interested in working in a nursing home,but I have 4 years experience in being a caregiver for my mother. I will see over a dozen jobs listed in the papers DAILY for home health aides and maybe one once a week,if that,for an MA in the area where I live (upper Ohio). I was just curious as to why none of these ads for the home aides will even mention that an MA could apply,encourage it even. It would be a good starting point for the many who are looking for work. Out of my graduating class of 15,maybe 2 or 3 are working as MAs. I doubt if any of the others have considered doing home health care work unless they were working in a nursing home when classes started. It was never brought up in our classes that this was something we COULD do if we wanted,and what kind of further training we would need. Can someone be blunt and tell the specifics in doing home health care work and how it differs from what is taught in an MA program? As I said before,I would think the training MAs get would be ideal for the most part in being a caregiver. It might benefit those that have trouble finding work,and many do,to know that this is an option.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Working? Not right now.

CNA's are trained in how to assist with activities of daily living. That includes oral hygeine, ROM excercises, foot care,applying restraints, giving a bed bath, making a hospital bed, collecting urine form a catheter, catheter care,applying TED stockings and SCD's, turning patients in bed, transferring patients, how to use a gait belt, how to assist with a bedpan or urinal, those types of things. Does that help?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA/RMA/LPN

Are You Working? yes

If you are a CMA you can make an application to the Board of Nurisng for a CNA lic without taking the CNA class ( at least this is true in Maryland). Once you have a CNA lic. you can work in acute care (ie- hospital) or apply for LTC or Home Health jobs. Although, you need to beacome a GNA if you want to work in LTC (nursing homes) most nursing home will hire a CNA and train them to be GNA. All you really have to do is pass a test. Like to said this is how it works in Maryland. You should contact your state Board of Nuring for more info. Hope this helps. Oh, also I would tell you to check out Unit Sec/Clerk jobs in Nursing home....they do hire CMA's.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA, DT, CNA

Are You Working? yes

Thank you both for clearing up a lot of things.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Working? Not right now.