This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I feel gosh darn old!

I visited a college MA lab yesterday. Everyone in the class was so young (19, 20). I felt and feel so old at 49! WOndering how I'm going to do this, if I'll feel intimated by being the only old crow in the class. Of course the longer I put off going to MA school, the louder the clock ticks.

I never felt old until yesterday. I run to keep in shape, color my hair, read to keep my mind sharp. Either I'm in denial or just feeling sorry for myself.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: med transcriptionist

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yea

Re: I feel gosh darn old!

I am 53 years young and the ladies in my M.A. class treat me as an equal. I enjoy being around them and do have some problems keeping up with them some times! lol. Hang in there--you will be OK.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Student

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Thanks for the encouragement, Frank. Times seems to go by so dang fast, don't you think? I just want to make the best of the time and talents that God has given me and not worry so much about insignificant things. I can do this, I can do this, I CAN do this!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: med transcriptionist

Are You Working? yea

flowers,

You would fit right in with me and the others in my class. Sure we have some young folks; well a bunch, some are even dedicated to the program and study. If I had to guess I'd say the age of the participants is split between the super young and us old farts I know that if we were graded on a curve we would make it tough for the younger crew

Your Professional Title/Credentials: working on it

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

I turned 49 a week before my official graduation from MA school. Don't sweat the age thing. It makes you more focused and many employers prefer older workers as they're more stable.

I got hired through my externship so I really never even had to look for a job.

Lorraine

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Forget it! I started my MA class at 58! Most of my teachers weren't even born when I graduated high school, All the teachers were very supportive, and all the students looked to me for their mothering! and study advice!! Me..someone who hadn't been to school in 40 years! If you want to do it you can do it.! and I graduated with a 4.0 gpa & cert. phlebotomist!!If you need help I'm here!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Working? yes

I just started classes for MA last week and I will be 51 years old next week. I don't feel old at all. My
classmates range in age from 18 to 60 and we have a great time. No one treats anyone different because of their age, we all have something to contribute to the class. We respect each other. The teachers are great, and I don't think it could get any better. I love school! I can't wait to graduate and start my new career as a medical assistant! I am so excited! And no the teachers are not giving us a bunch of bull on how easy it is to find a job, they tell it like it is. But I am very optimistic and look to the future with a big smile on my face!

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Times have changed. When I went throught MA school I was the second youngest at 20. All the other ladies in my class were in their 40's and I am still friends with them today. We got along just great. I hope your class's dynamics are just as great as mine were.

SeBring-
Just out of curiosity,what ARE your teachers telling you? Does your class discuss the job market much? Is anyone bringing up the fact that they heard it can be difficult to find a position,or that the wages are low? What are some of the responses from the teachers? Just what are they saying when someone asks "What do I do if I keep getting turned down because of lack of experience?" We didn't know this stuff in my class,what we were headed for,so I am wondering what teachers say when they are asked these questions.