This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Medical Transcription from Home

So many people nowadays want to work from home, especially mothers having young children. Its not really very hard to be a Medical transcriptionist. visit site for more info http://www.medical-transcription-resources.com

Re: Medical Transcription from Home

It is true, it's not that hard to be a med. transcriptionist, however, those with young children still have to be very disciplined with their time and committment to their company. I know there are many out there who do work at home as MTs with young children and they seem to be very organized to get their work done. Still, it is a job and employers expect so many lines per day. I personally could not handle young kids with my at home job. I don't need any distractions. I'm they are teens and can basically take care of many of their own needs.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: med transcriptionist

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yea

I would really like to start doing medical transcription from home so that I am able to do it as often as I wish too. I am not sure how I get started or where to look. Can you help me?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Secretary

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

I've been doing MTing from home for 5 years now and I don't always like it. I can't say that I hate it because it has allowed me to be at home while my kids get older. I really don't make much doing it because I only work three hours a day. For 5 years now I have gotten up at 4 am in the morning and work from 4:30 until 7:30 and it is really starting to wear me down. I am actually getting ready to go to school to become a MA. Everyone tells me that I will make less doing that but really I won't because I can never seem to stand doing MT for more than 3 hours/day. I have been trying to for 5 years now, but never can. I went to school through PCDI to do this, and for those who are considering going to school for it, please don't go through that school. They don't teach you half as much as you need to know to start working.

Right now I am working for a company who uses a speech recognition program and when I get those reports the day is much more tolerable because I get rid of the report a lot faster than if I have to type it myself.

For anyone who is considering doing MT, please take into consideration whether you can handle working by yourself all the time and whether you can stand sitting there and typing for hours on end. It's a very sedentary and solitary lifestyle. I actually love being by myself most of the time and I love typing, but this job has really gotten to me.

Are You Working? Work as an MT at home

If you are looking for an accredited, reputable school and gain a solid education in medical transcription, I highly recommend M-TEC. I heard nothing but the best from former students as well as potential employers looking to hire qualified candidates. The teachers there still keep in contact with their former students by bringing them new info about the business or employers searching to hire. I agree with the previous poster who said that it is a great job if you want to be home with your kids (I always hated the thought of putting my kids in daycare). It does get old though after a while like she said with the repeitition of the job, and I've only been doing it almost 3 years. Best wishes on choosing a school. Check out M-TECs web page through Google, or do a thorough research on all the programs out there. Remeber though you get what you pay for.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: med transcriptionist

Are You Working? yes

Thank you Tina for telling it like it really is. I have a friend who has been doing this for a few years and she also starts at 4 am and is done by noon or 1:00. She is paid by the line and feels like she is chained to the computer. Just looking at it,like when she got home from a vacation recently,or on a Sunday evening, makes her sick. How she is able to do it with the TV going and kids home from school is beyond me. I don't dare stop by or even call her cause she can only take so many breaks.
I think it has to be made clear that in order to do this work,you have to know more than just how to type,there is a lot more to it. From what I hear from her,it IS hard and she is a fast,good typist.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Looking

Wow. so glad I'm not the only one. I am a former MT and while I could afford to send my kids to preschool during my work hours it was OK (still not the most interesting job but beat many alternatives) but trying to work from home and have them around was IMPOSSIBLE. And I had to shorten my hours once we could not afford preschool (we moved) so I could not make much money either.

I have been considering MA for a while. I was making $10.50-11/hr on average as an MT so the pay change would not be too significant but school for MA is too expensive right now for me, esp when after the investment the job would change but the money would not, unfortunately. But boy can I empathize with the "there has got to be something better than sitting typing for hours on end". I did love using my education though....even if it was to type about hip replacements.

Its definitely not for everyone. Some people love it, though.

I went to the doctor's yesterday to have labs drawn and was talking to the lady about going to school and she said to just go for nursing, that she has been doing it (phlebotomy) for 26 years and only makes 20 some thousand a year. She was working in a place that I know for a fact pays low though, so I'm not taking that to heart. My friend works there as an LPN and is only making $11 an hour. My MIL is also an LPN working in the next state over (which isn't that far) and is making $18 an hour.

I currently average between $12-$15 an hour as an MT but only work 2-3 hours/day, so I'm not making much at all. I feel like I could probably get close to that as an MA in a doctor's office in MD. I live in WV and where I live I'm right in the middle between Martinsburg, WV and Hagerstown, MD. I already know I want to work in Hagerstown. It's just better there.

That phlebotomy lady also told me not to go to the school I'm planning on going to because they are way over priced and the credits won't transfer. I feel like I have no other choice though. It's the only school that can give me the hours I need. Everywhere else (for either MA, LPN, or RN) is a full time, 8 hour/day schedule or evening classes, and neither of those work for me. I feel like going for the MA at an outrageously priced school is the only option I have. It's pathetic.

Are You Working? Work as an MT at home

When going for the medical transcription job from home, the very most important thing I have found is that you are able to quickly find the info you need online from a reputable source. There are many help from online source, not only in the course but in the real world while you're working.
http://www.medicaltranscriptioncareer.org/medical-transcription-job-description.php

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Consultant

Are You Working? yes