This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AAMA membership ? URGENT...need answer ASAP...

I am a current member of the AAMA and a CMA. I am wondering if it is necessary to maintain my AAMA membership in order to remain certified.

Although I do enjoy the CMA Today magazine,. I'm not able to take advantage of the conferences and other benefits of being a member. Therefore, I would rather not have the pay the $87.00 a year state and national dues.

However, I do not want to lose my CMA status.

Anyone??? My dues have to be postmarked by Dec.31st if I HAVE to join to maintain my CMA accreditation. I honestly don't remember the dues being this expensive. The only thing I really get for it is a bi-monthly magazine!

Lorraine

Lorraine

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Re: AAMA membership ? URGENT...need answer ASAP...

I think you have to pay the yearly dues in order to be in good standings. I know that is how it is with AMT. I don't know for sure though- sorry.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/ CMA/CNA/graduate LPN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Seems to me that once you are certified,you are ALWAYS certified,no matter what agency you have a membership to. Anybody want to dispute that?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Well certification lasts 5 years with the AAMA, but I don't know if those dues need to be paid yearly to maintain good standings or not. Hopefully Lorraine now has an answer.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/ CMA/CNA/graduate LPN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

The way I understand the purpose of AAMA organization membership is not so much to remain in good standing or keep your CMA credential (during the time, 5 years, that your certification is valid)but to enjoy additional membership benefits that you otherwise would not have:

1. latest medical assisting news
2. CEU's
3. Local chapter educational events
4. Reduced fee on CMA exam
5. Discounts on sef-study materials and workshops
6. Special rates on professional liability insurance

etc.

It should not affect the validity of your CMA credential.

Here is a link to the AAMA Membership Benefit PDF file published on the Internet by AAMA:
http://www.aama-ntl.org/resources/library/AAMA_MemberEnroll.pdf

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Site Admin

Your best bet is to contact the AAMA. You must re-certify every few years. You can do this by CEUs or re-take the exam.

I think it best to pay your yealy dues.

I would never think about letting my dues lapse and losing my certification. It cost too much to get it.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: B.S.E., RMA, AHI

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

The question was whether you MUST pay annual membership does to MAINTAIN / KEEP the credential. It's unclear whether the 5 year certification is directly tied to AAMA membership.

In other words, a medical assistant sits for the CMA exam, passes it, and is now a CMA for the next 5 years. However, during those five years, do you also have to be an AAMA member, or do you lose your CMA credential.

My understanding is that it is NOT mandatory to be an AAMA member to keep your CMA. But if you did NOT collect enough approved CEU's during the five years then you MUST retacke the CMA exam.

One benefit of AAMA membership is CEU's through the AAMA's magazine and workshops. However, as I understand it, it is voluntary.

Best to contact AAMA to find out -- I agree!!!!

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner / Site Admin