This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
want to be a MA

Hi there!
I have a diploma in Medical Admin. It's been 7 years since I have last worked in a Dr's office ( I took time to care for my child ) my problem is that I'm now interested in back office/clinical work than my front office training. Does this mean i'll have to go back to school and go through the whole MA training? Before taking time off my last job I was at, I roomed patients and checked vitals then everything else was front office work.
thanks for any advice

Your Professional Title/Credentials: medical admin assistant

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no

Re: want to be a MA

Nowadays most places do require a MA with certification. You'd have to check around. If you do choose to go into an MA program some of your credits may transfer over.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/ CMA/CNA/graduate LPN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Re: want to be a MA

Where do you live? I am in Oklahoma and most of the doc's offices DO NOT require certification.

Start looking through the local papers. I see a lot of ads in The Daily Oklahoman that say "Will train the right person." Since you already have a medical background, you would be an ideal candidate for the job.

Most of the schools around here would require you to take the ENTIRE MA program, not just the clinical.

I would first try a job search to see if you can get on before you go back to school.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: B.S.E., RMA, AHI

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes