This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
where to start

I just Gradutaed from a MA program and im wondering where is the best place to start looking for work. Most of the hospitals require at least 1 year experence so should I go to the private practices, and how would I go about doing that, should I just take my resame to them or what?

Re: where to start

I would stop in and ask if they are hiring. If not, ask if you can leave your resume anyways. Definately put yourself out there. Good luck!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/ CMA/CNA/graduate LPN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Re: where to start

Or try this-
Go through the telephone book and make a list of all the offices where you would like to work-and ones where you think you don't want to work (you never know....).

Call them up and ask for the name of the office manager,and their fax number. Don't ask if they are hiring because you may get discouraged if you keep hearing "No".

Get professional help on a resume and a COVER LETTER. The latter is very important. It's more interesting to the reader but they don't want to see a "Hi,how are you!" type letter.
A good letter of recommendation can't hurt either.

Fax them in and wait a few days. Call and ask to speak to the manager and ask if they received your fax and had a chance to read it. Then ask if they are hiring,if not now ,then in the near future. Make it clear you are interested,and to keep you in mind.

If you get an interview,make sure you send in a thank you note afterwards.

Lets face it,in order to get your foot in the door you sometimes have to sell yourself. The worst thing you can do is show any disinterest or no motivation. It's easy to fall into a depressed state of mind if months pass by and there is no job but you can't give the impression of wanting to give up.