This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I have graduated from medical assistant school in ny but I'm still not working

I graduated medical assistant school in june 2005. I did my internship and everything but than I had a baby and had to put taking job offers on hold. Now my daughter is old enough to attend day care but I cant seem to find a job. I have faxed and mailed and walked my resume to alot of doctor offices. I am not having any luck in this field at all most places want at least one year experience. How can anybody get that one year expereince if no one is willing to hire you? I do plan to go back to school cause I would like to be a radiologist but I thought this medical assistant thing would of been my first stepping stone in the medical field. I am feeling very discouraged cause not only do most places want expereince but they want you to speak a different lanuage as well.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: certified medical assistant and phelebotomy tech

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no

Re: I have graduated from medical assistant school in ny but I'm still not working

Are you certified? That makes a difference where I live.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/ CMA/CNA/graduate LPN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Re: I have graduated from medical assistant school in ny but I'm still not working

yes I am certified

Your Professional Title/Credentials: certified medical assistant and phelebotomy tech

Are You Working? no

have u tried to find a job in a hospital setting, they may not hire under the medical assistant title, but may hire u for skills very similiar to what an MA does.

yes I have tried in the hospital setting but it goes the same way you have to have experience. no matter what job you look for every where they want experience.

Are You Working? no

well good luck with ur job search. i am in the process of starting my externship. i just completed a 9 month MA program in massachusetts.

With how many places have you applied?

Have you looked over your resume? Is it detailed enough or not enough detail? Have you tried a blood plasma center or blood donation center? Sometimes these places hire "trainees" right off the street.

Do you need to brush up on your interview skills?

Maybe you could find someplace to do another "internship" to get some additional practice. You may also wish to apply for an administrative medical assistant position. There a also lots of things like medical records filing, scheduling clerks, billing clerks (maybe a medical billing firm would be a good place to apply).

I am in Oklahoma City and there are more positions for administrative medical assistants than there are for clinical assistants.

If you would like to e-mail my your resume, I would be happy to look it over and provide advice.
suzyashmore@hotmail.com

Also, check with the school from which you graduated. Many of them will allow you to take "refresher" training at no cost.

Good Luck!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: B.S.E., RMA, AHI

Are You Working? yes