This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I am considering MA school - but I am scared!

Hi everyone I am new here. My name is Lyn and I am 30 something. I want to be a MA, but I am scared it will be real hard. I have 3 kids (13,13 and 11). I would not work while I am in school. I know I can do it, but I am just scared. The entrance exams sound scary, too. Help!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Sub teacher

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? yes

Re: I am considering MA school - but I am scared!

Don't be scared - MA school is not rocket science. If you attend classes regularyly, do all you homework assignments and keep a positive attitude - you WILL succeed.

(I think I replied to this message via another post) but I can't find it.)

You may need to enlist the help of your family a little more in completing jobs around the house. Don't get stressed out because everything is "not getting done." You may have to let some of the little things slide.

I have been teaching medical assistants since 1994 and have never had a student that couldn't do the work if they really wanted.

Good luck in your endeavor! Wish you could be in my class.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: B.S.E., RMA, AHI

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Thanks for your insight, Suzanne. You're right I'm sure I will do well. Wish I could be in your class, too!

HAVE FAITH IN YOURSELF.... I am 49 years old and when I would talk about going back to school with my husband/friends I would cry I was so scared. I was fearful of my memory (menepause). Long story short...I got an A+ in every course!!!
My advice is study with index cards every minute you get.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? starting in 1 week

You are 30 years old- this is what you want. If it is important to you, you will excel! It's not like high scool where people did whatever they could to just get by. These are courses you WANT to learn more about. It's a fascinating degree and you'll do great! It has been done by many with kids and a family- you can too. Best of luck to you!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LPN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Hey, I think you will do just great. I have many students just like you. Just work diligently, try not to miss class if at all possible and PAY ATTENTION to your teacher!!!

Good luck to you. Many have accomplished this and you will be able to do it, too!!

I am almost 30 years old, I have two sons, they are 9 years apart. I really can say that it is the best desicion I have made this year. It is not hard at all. If you have the passion and drive to do something different with your career, or want a change of pace, this is the thing for you. Granted, with any school you attend, there will be tests to take, and you have to put time aside to study. You can do it. They offer night classes, and even classes on the weekends now. At Bryman, (It is now called Everest College), they are going to have weekend classes, so you can go 8 hours a day for Saturday and Sunday. Depending on where you are, of course. I am in Washington state, and I go to the Everest in Renton. Here I have seen a majority of mothers attend M.A classes. Most have full time day jobs, have 4 kids, and go to school at night!
It is do-able.
Good luck!

Are You Working? at home

PS. You mentioned "entrance exams"??

I didn't know M.A courses had you take those.

The only ones I have heard of, is a test

that you take if you did not recieve a GED or

graduate with a High School Diploma.

I'm 43 scared every day, ~5 weeks to finish year 1 of 2. Most days my fear is unwarranted. You may find yours is too.

Next Fall my 18yoD is going to car pool with me.

That spinning smiley doesn't begin to describe how I feel.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: working on it

Are You Working? no

Hi,

I am CNA l, CNA ll, and Monitor Tech certified. I worked at the local hospital for about six months and then decided that I really enjoyed helping people, but I wanted more. So I will start the Medical Assistant course at our community college in the fall. I am a fifty year old mother of two grown sons and a grandmother also. I too had my doubts about entering a field that I knew next to nothing about, but I know I can do this. I may have to work harder and study longer than someone younger than me, but I will succeed and so will you. Good luck.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA l, CNA ll, Monitor Tech

Are You Working? no